Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smallest Bag/Thing You'd Check (for Small Items)?

Unfortunately, double-edge razor blades ("safety razor") still aren't on the "ok to carry-on" list. I'm guessing there are other travelers that have small items they'd like to have along, but have to check.

While I usually remember to mail a couple ahead of time, sometimes I don't have enough time, or simply forget.

I'd never check my Dyneema bags, so if it means checking a bag, then it's my Briggs & Riley Transcend pieces, which are overkill for a two- or three-day trip.

I'm considering something that I could use just for checking the blades (and a little pocket knife, if I'm doing it). My concerns include:
    • Too small and will be stolen
    • Too small and will be swallowed by baggage handling equipment
    • Too fragile and will be eaten by baggage handling equipment (Dyneema, for example)
    • Doesn't close up reliably (TB Cafe Bags are out)
    • Too bulky and hard to stuff into my Aeronaut for the trip home

Any thoughts or suggestions. If it's not sacrilege, I'm open to non-Tom Bihn options.

TIA,

Jeff

P.S. TB staff, if you're reading this, the Cafe Bags really need a full-zip closure option so I don't keep losing things out of the top when I fly with them!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about bringing a small, stowable duffle for overflow items when traveling by air. The REI Roadtripper duffel bags collapse into flat discs. I got the one closest to my A30 in size - when I am traveling with my family I can stuff it into one of our checked suitcases. On the way back, we either fill it with dirty laundry and check it, or if need be - I haven't had to resort to this yet - I could put my Aeronaut into it and check that (thereby providing a little more protection against careless handling).

(Still a little big for your razor blades, of course, but anyway the small extra bag was what came to mind when I saw your post. Smilie)
    Last edited by haraya; 10-20-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you check a small item you should be prepared for the possibility that it could get stained, lost or chewed up by the equipment. I wouldn't sacrifice a Tom Bihn bag for that purpose, but I did once, on a whim, check a thin dry bag. Inside was my pocket knife, a phrasebook, and sunscreen. I had planned to ditch the knife but at the last minute decided not to. It survived the trip (Tel Aviv>Boston). I have a few $30 or less duffels, some of which aren't too comfortable to carry but pack up quite small, and would probably use one of those if I was to do it again. REI is a good source.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I've thought about bringing a small, stowable duffle for overflow items when traveling by air.
    Sounds like we think alike. I carry a Mountain Hardwear Lightweight Expedition Duffle, medium, claimed 90 L of capacity and 580 g on my overseas trips. It's hauled back everything from a dozen cans of Swiss muesli to trash cans that you can't buy in the US. It's stood up well to international travel with heavy and hard-cornered items in it, and I'd recommend it, especially if you can find it on sale. Unfortunately it's over-a-pound weight and size that would take up about half an Aeronaut end pocket make it a bit big for short trips.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always I would check a Pelican Briefcase if needed for this purpose.
    On the other hand and as much as it hurts me at the time,I can buy whatever I need at the destination too and recently bought a throwaway knife,razor and other stuff at Walmart instead of checking so little stuff.

It is more likely for me to need a small subset of tools for a service call somewhere that I could ever carry on anyway and though I will usually take a Max. carry on pelican for tools I have also taken much smaller if I can.

The only potential issue is that I need to make sure that I am there the moment it comes down the carousel so that I am the first to pick it up too!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grow a beard.

Or, just buy razor blades when you get there.

I find hotels will give you all sorts of free toiletries if you ask.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere on the internet-- maybe it was here?-- there is a delightful photo from someone having checked a twig (or maybe it was a walking stick)...

Anyway. I've checked dyneema/halcyon bags to no ill effect. But on a recent trip when I had a large free baggage allowance, I checked a Red Oxx XS Aviator bag, filled with books. Those bags are inexpensive and indestructible, and fine for things that aren't fragile. I would have absolutely no worries about anything bad happening to the bag, and there are no straps or anything to get caught on equipment. It doesn't fold down terribly well (I tried stuffing it into a stuff sack, but it still took up way too much room in an Aeronaut end pocket), so it's not great as an overflow bag just in case, but checking both ways works fine.

I've also checked my Space Camp duffel bag from circa 1987 (also filled with books), and it came out the other end just fine. That probably worked out better than the Aviator bag since it took up less space in my bag when empty.

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second @haraya's suggestion of the REI roadtripper duffel - inexpensive and very sturdy and it folds up fairly well. I also have a small GoRuck gym bag that I love and it is robust. Though both of these are dramatically bigger than you would need for those minor items! I would be hesitant to check something smaller than 15 or 20 liters, since it seems like it would be easy to lose it in the handling process.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think TB Yeoman Duffle https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=16395097031
    fits the bill for durability.
    It can be squished into a Travel Tray but when it unfolds, it is big.

So maybe you could check it, with your carryon inside and the items you want to check.

But... I usually buy a bag disposable rasors for trips with my husband, because it is less stressful than thinking of loosing an expensive one, I would say, same with a knife.

I agree with NWhikergal I also would be hesitant to check something smaller than 15 or 20 liters, since it seems like it would be easy to lose it in the handling process. It can also be chewed up, it happened to someone's Aeronaut.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-20-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once while flying through Narita the security would not let me pass with a TSA friendly Leatherman. I argued that it did not have a blade, but their security stood firm based on its looks. I had status with United and asked their help to no avail.

Finally they convinced me I would have to check it for my flight home, but I had no such spare duffel or other bag I was willing to check.

The JAL folks took care of me and the Leatherman made it without any problems in a taped up JAL shopping bag.

The worst part was that I had to go out to the bag checking zone, and to do that I had to enter Japan. I didn't realize that when I insisted they check it for me. The immigration and customs people couldn't understand when I wrote on the form that I would be staying in Japan for less than one hour. My helpful JAL staffer had to keep stepping in from the sidelines to explain I was just going to check a bag and needed to hurry. She had all the bows and ku desai(s) with smiles and never a complaint. Out thru immigration, back thru security, back thru immigration and finally where I started near the United lounge.

Lesson learned. I don't want too be that guy, all for a silly $10 knife, I mean tool. IT HAD NO BLADE!

I do carry a collapsible thin nylon duffle now, and usually use it coming home if I've acquired extra stuff while traveling. If I had to check outbound I might look for a sturdier cheapo duffel that wouldn't bother me to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I check a Victorinox rolling suitcase that meets the carry-on standards for United States airlines. I have tried carry-on only a couple of times, but I am not schlepping a large oblong item through the airport and wrestling it onboard when capable baggage teams (thank you to them) and the belly of the aircraft can do that for me. On rare occasion, I have had to wait for baggage (in Tampa during a thunderstorm, unsafe conditions for the baggage trolleys to come across the runway to the baggage claim area), but generally it works out. That extra 20 minutes of my life spent ambling towards baggage claim is worth it for the hands-free capability in the airport and airplane.

More to the point, the smallest item I have checked is an Eddie Bauer small duffel bag, about the size of the Night Flight here on the TB site. You could use it as a chance to pack a coat/athletic shoes to give the small items some cushioning as well.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I think TB Yeoman Duffle https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=16395097031
    fits the bill for durability.
    It can be squished into a Travel Tray but when it unfolds, it is big.
    I was about to pull the trigger on the Yeoman for this purpose but never would have consider this. Do you have any pictures to show this being done please? I was visualising a much bigger bag. I have an A45 and a travel tray and never would have thought a 71 litre bag could fit in the travel tray

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makak View Post
    I was about to pull the trigger on the Yeoman for this purpose but never would have consider this. Do you have any pictures to show this being done please? I was visualising a much bigger bag. I have an A45 and a travel tray and never would have thought a 71 litre bag could fit in the travel tray
    @makak there's a photo of a Yeoman packed into a TT in this blog post https://blog.tombihn.com/yeomanfreudianslipreviews Smilie

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes View Post
    Somewhere on the internet-- maybe it was here?-- there is a delightful photo from someone having checked a twig
    But it was a full sized tree when they checked it in. It was a twig when they picked it up off the carousel.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    But it was a full sized tree when they checked it in. It was a twig when they picked it up off the carousel.
    HEY-oooo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast