Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing Aeronaut had handles on both sides of the opening, like traditional duffles

I've been using the A45 for a few months now and I have a gripe that may end up driving me to switch to another bag: You have to zip the top compartment closed before you can lift the bag by the handles.

A common scenario for me is I'll be using the bag, taking stuff in and out, and I want to carry it either to another room in my house or maybe in and out of my truck. You have to constantly zip it open and closed because if you're loading or unloading the bag and then lift it by the handles, everything will fall out unless you zip it closed. The workaround is to use 2 hands to grab it by both end handles but that's kind of a pain too if I have other things in my hands that I'm carrying.

Am I the only one that's annoyed by this? It seems like *requiring* the user to zip a duffel bag closed before they can pick it up is a major design flaw for a duffel bag.
    Jason
    Aeronaut 45 | Brain Bag | Medium Cafe Bag | Various odds and ends

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the Doggienauts on the Dogs page or the Totes page. AKA the Road Duffles. They have the handles on both sides of the opening and are carried in a horizontal position like you mentioned, so that nothing falls out if you leave a zip unzipped.

I just got a Doggienaut 36 (Medium Road Duffle) and I'll post photos on Saturday showing the comparison of the A30 with the D36 on this thread:

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ad-duffle.html

I actually prefer the Aeronaut position of the handles because you don't have to keep doing them up and undoing them every time you want to get into the bag. But, to each his own.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-17-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks. I hadn't browsed over to the dog section but the Road Duffel's seem like they'd fit my needs better, I may consider getting one and selling the A45.
    Jason
    Aeronaut 45 | Brain Bag | Medium Cafe Bag | Various odds and ends

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that I like the carry handle to be away from the main compartment for two reasons:
    a. If the carry handles are on both sides of the main compartment, you usually have to un-cinch the handle before opening the main compartment. Since this is a travel bag that can be carried onboard a plane, it makes sense for the handles to be located away so that we have easier access to the main compartment.
    b. Since the carry handle is on the side of the A45, carrying it using the strap or handle means it has a slimmer profile next to your body. This makes it much easier to navigate plane aisles.

This is more down to personal preference. I am glad you have an alternative choice in the Road Duffle with a more traditional carry handle design, but the A45 was the first duffle I saw that had the side handle design which I preferred.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've updated the A30 vs D36 link now with photos.

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-duffle-2.html
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-19-2016 at 03:40 PM.