Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switching up your Every Day Carry? How do you do it?

I ordered a Synapse 25 upon realizing that my S19 was a little bit too small to carry a light jacket, my gym stuff and a change of clothes, but I still love the heck out of the S19 and its smaller stature.

I'd like to use the S25 on days when I carry more things and the S19 when I carry fewer.

Does anybody else rotate between bags throughout the week? How do you manage them? The Synapses have so many pockets!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good question. I do rotate between Synapse 19, Smart Alec, and Daylight Backpack. Probably unsuccessfully, because I often forget things. Certain things, like gym stuff, can stay in the Smart Alec (gym clothes, padlock). I run into trouble with forgetting my work badge when I switch bags. I almost always remember my wallet and phone, but I forget that. I also forget bike lights a lot.
    A lot of people pack the essential things in a Side Effect, and move that between bags. That can fit in the bottom pocket as well as the water bottle pocket.
    Good question. I'm eager to hear what others have to say.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's what a purse is for Wink

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post

Does anybody else rotate between bags throughout the week? How do you manage them? The Synapses have so many pockets!
    I do all the time! Right now I'm carrying my Hemp/Steel/UV Swift. Early this week I had all my contents in my Nordic Daylight Backpack. Prior to this in the week before I was hauling around my Aubergine Maker's Bag. In order to make my switch as efficient as possible, I carry my contents primarily in pouches, usually a #1 Travel Stuff Sack. I also use the tethering system to hold onto a small DOP which serves as my wallet. The rest of my sundry items tend to find their way into a Side Effect. All of those items switch out very easily.

I used to carry my Synapse regularly, but when the Daylight Backpack came out, I found I much preferred that style for EDC. My Synapse now serves as my hiking/adventure travel bag and only comes out to play for those occasions.

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any bags used for EDC have dedicated: cleaning rag for glasses; stash of 2x Clif bars; Kleenex; maybe a pen.

The gear that moves between bags: water bottle; 3DOC-sized "bag of tricks"; maybe a rain jacket or other piece of clothing.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Freudian Slip (Small Cafe Bag size, so it fits in everything) with my essentials in it - including my work badge as I also used to forget it all the time. The FS goes from bag to bag, as do my keys and sunglasses. I have one of some basics in each bag (lens cleaning cloth, pen, small flashlight, hand lotion and lip balm).

When I go back and forth between the Synapses, things get transferred to the same pocket in each bag (glasses case in the right side pocket, for example, and shopping bag in the bottom pocket). Swapping one pocket at a time lets me make sure I don't leave something behind.

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear by 3D Organizer Cubes and all sizes of stuff sacks. That way, when I need to switch bags like i did this morning, I just grab all the organized bits and dump them in the new bag.
    Eat well, travel often.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the organizer cubes but find my stuff too inaccessible in them to store everything in containers. Such as my train and work pass, notebooks, lip balm. So switching bags takes me at least 3 to 5 minutes and involves emptying everything out piece by piece. However, the financial essentials live in my Side Effect, so if I forget something, at least I have my money and credit cards.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Bangalore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beauty of having many TB bags is you can rotate them. For my 3-day golfing trip to Ooty and Coimbatore in Southern India I am carrying my Original Nordic Halcyon S25. For work I carry my Original Halcyon DLBC. For golfing trivia while playing my Steel PCSB. For gym Nordic SE. For 2 day business travel, Original Steel Halcyon S19 sometimes and other times Original Black Halcyon 19. For saxophone practice in church my Black Dyneema DLBC. I love the "many bags" "many uses" concept. I always keep things in OPs tethered. I then just move the tethered OP to a different bag. Makes life simple and keeps things neat and organized. Because you know what is in each OP there is no learning curve. You are productive no matter which bag you take.

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first bag was the Maker's and I had everything tucked in to all the little pockets. It was great. But I still kept pulling out wallet, phone and keys to run errands and then found myself wanting something I'd left in the Maker. So I put the essentials in the Side Effect. I can take just it or put it in my Maker or my Swift and know that those two bags are packed with very specific things that never leave them.

I only run in to problems when I switch to my S25 for a multi-day trip and leave the Maker behind. I put everything in pouches to go in the S25 and then forget to move it all back to the Maker when I get home.

Or I move all the pouches into the Maker - making all the neat pockets superfluous and taking up all the mid bag space. Need to work on that one...
    Last edited by Saltgirl; 11-18-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is tough to get a good system going sometimes because the two basic groups of bags that I keep are at organizational odds with each other.

If the bag has enough pockets to organize my stuff built-in then I try to load the pockets and not use other bags to subdivide the stuff.
    On the other hand if the bag has little of its own organization then I need to organize in multiple smaller pockets and cases which are easily grouped by function and packed into the bag that needs organization.

One of my gripes with the Bihn bags has always been a lack of the number of pockets that I really need to carry the full breadth of junk that I need to carry everyday and so I find myself using smaller pockets and pouches and moving them bag to bag all the time,it is just the only practical option for me.

I know it wastes space every time I add another organizer but at least if I can keep it all modular I can switch bags pretty quickly when I need to too!

There is no Holy Grail of Bags just a perpetual refining of the process.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really agree with folks above. I've converted to the idea of smaller pouches and bags that I love between a Maker's Bag, a DLBP and an S25. I've broken my stuff into small bundles and then I take what I need for the day.

But it has taken time and had some dead ends. (I thought a Snake Charmer would be key, but it never worked for me.) Plus there are some things that I've stocked in all the bags -- like a double pouch in each bag to hold pens, emergency cash, some bandaids, etc.

I think going modular has been helpful to me. I buy less stuff because I don't have doubles. Plus I just have to be sure that I've stocked one first aid kit, one charging cord set, one stationary pouch, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switch bags by a combination of "pouches" and simply emptying every bag every time I come home, kind of like the way described in the Marie Kondo book but I started this long before her book became popular.

The way this works is that some things, such as chapstick, spare hair tie, etc live in organizer pouches with permanently attached keystraps. Other things like keys, sunglasses, wallet, bus pass have a small dedicated shelf in my entry closet where I set them all. Larger items like grocery bags, camera organizer, lunch bags live on the other closet shelf, or sometimes in my "main" bag where they are easy to pull out.

Then, when I'm ready to go somewhere I pick which bag/type of bag I need, and simply grab wallet, bus pass, pouches, grocery bags off the shelf and toss/place them into the bag of the day. When I come home, I pull everything back out and put it back where it belongs on the shelf. Because I've almost always added junk to my bag (receipts, snack wrappers, small purchases. . . ) to my bag throughout the day anyway, this ensure that a) I pull all of the garbage and purchases out of my bag and b) I can find everything next time I need it. It also helps keep extraneous things from collecting in and weighing down a bag, because I always only take what I need. It also means that for important/special trips, I'm less likely to forget something because I can deliberately pack my bag a bit early and collect any "special" items (such as taking a work laptop when traveling to another office) at the same time I'm collecting/loading my regular items.

For keys, all of my primary bags just have a keystrap almost-permanently attached, then I just grab keys and attach them to the bag.

After years living in an apartment with an auto-locking door, I absolutely never step out the door without a mental check for keys anyway, so rebuilding my bag every time is not difficult and I simply updated my mental check to "keys, wallet, cell phone" because as long as I have those 3, I can almost always solve anything else I'm missing.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switch bags every week, or even a few times within the same week. It's easier if you have a freudian slip for organising the loose items. I use the Maker's Bag FS for all my horizontal bags and the S19 FS for all my vertical bags. (The S19 FS fits nicely in the elasticated pocket in the S25 main compartment, FYI. It can also be crammed into a Ruck's Sac.)

Mid-Atlantic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most days I swap between a PU and an S19. (Longing to add an S25 to the lineup but still saving up for one.) Most of my things are consolidated in 6 organiser pouches/travel sacks (not counting journal, packable jacket, knirps umbrella, etc.). Each item has an assigned place in each bag so swapping bags is easy. Going from an S19 to an S25 would be really easy if you have your core items in the S19 then are just adding items in the S25. Seems like wherever something is in the S19 is where it would go in the S25, no? Extra things would then fill in the spaces around your core items. Make sense?
    Bring back Solar, pretty please? Wink BRIGHT interior colours make me happy! Smilie **Team SolarSitkaWasabiZest**

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast