Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Laptops in TriStar?

Hi there,

I've got a TriStar that I use for business travel (I do 1-2 night trips about once per month), and this bag is perfect. I'm heading to visit the parents and inlaws for Christmas, and I'm wondering if I can fit two laptops in my TriStar and what the best way to do that is. My work laptop is a 15" Intel, for which I've already got a Cache. Just picked up the new 13" MacBook Pro, so I'd need a Cache or a Brain Cell for that.

Tips? Has anyone done this? I won't be carrying both on the short trips, but I'd love to be able to use the same bag on longer trips when I have other luggage with me.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Hi there,

I've got a TriStar that I use for business travel (I do 1-2 night trips about once per month), and this bag is perfect. I'm heading to visit the parents and inlaws for Christmas, and I'm wondering if I can fit two laptops in my TriStar and what the best way to do that is. My work laptop is a 15" Intel, for which I've already got a Cache. Just picked up the new 13" MacBook Pro, so I'd need a Cache or a Brain Cell for that.

Tips? Has anyone done this? I won't be carrying both on the short trips, but I'd love to be able to use the same bag on longer trips when I have other luggage with me.

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forums @Artemis,

I have the TriStar, and you can easily carry the 15" laptop in cache in the center compartment of the TriStar. Some people insert laptops the size of the 13" Retina Macbook Pro (in cache) into the backpack strap zippered pocket, depending on how fully packed your bag is. (This is more commonly done when you want to carry an iPad or tablet, or a smaller size laptop like the 12" MacBook or 11" MacBook Air). Another option you might consider is packing the laptop inside of the large packing cube inside the back zippered compartment of your TriStar, and fill the remainder of this with clothing, etc. that cushions the laptop.

You might consider whether the extra weight of the two laptops plus other items might make the load harder to carry in a single bag. One option is to get a light-weight bag such as the Daylight Briefcase, which is currently also available in Black and Nordic Halcyon options, as well as the more colorful Cordura selections. Then you have the option carry the Tri-Star in backpack mode (if the bag is really heavy), and access the Daylight Briefcase with your 13" Retina MacBook Pro in its cache as a personal item. Take a look at the pictures in The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase thread. There are more pictures and commentaries if you go back to The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review thread that appeared when the Daylight Briefcase debuted. @milpool had an early Tri-Star and DLBCase thread about using the TriStar and DLBC as a minimalist travel combination (not with your 15" laptop in mind).

I like the DLBC for a lot of features that others don't seem to pick up on -- for example, I like the fact that if I use this as a personal item or take it to a conference, I have the option of using the backed zipped pocket to store a merino wool sweater (i.e., not just use that pocket for papers), if I'm at an air-conditioned meeting.

YMMV.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this all the time..Here is my tip: Just put them both in there.Stick Out Tongue

Really I think the closer together they are in the bag the better it will be.
    I will put them in the middle every time and I have a foam piece for the floor of the middle that they can sit on and then I will often not put them in anything else at all,but mine are all wrapped in a skin or shell too for protection all the time.

I do use the back pocket a lot but never for a computer I would always rather they be together like I said and protected by the contents of the remainder of the bag.

The TriStar is amazing for this.

I also love my Pilot to be able too split them up if needed and I will stick the Pilot in the TriStar sometimes too!
    Last edited by AVService; 12-13-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @AVService,

I agree that you can fit two laptops into that center component. I usually carry the TriStar for work travel, and I agree that I personally never use the back zippered backpack strap compartment for laptops -- only to store an iPad.

@Artemis,

How heavy a bag do you feel comfortable carrying? I'm under 5' 4", so my answer about splitting bags may be colored by the fact that even without any health/strength issues I probably wouldn't like to carry around, for example, a Lenovo W520 with extended battery and hard drives in the ultrabay, along with a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, plus all my clothes and accessories for a business trip in the TriStar. That combination would likely be a much larger fraction of my weight than of @AVService's.

YMMV

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AVService

Touche. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to protect the laptops and if I can reasonably squeeze two in there.

@moriond

That's a fair point. I think I'll be ok. I won't be taking both on my business trips; those will just be the bigger laptop and clothes. If I do have both laptops, I don't think there will be much else in there. Probably my daughter's iPad, a travelers notebook or two, pen case, and the cords for all the tech. Which could still add up.

The Daylight Briefcase is tempting. It looks like a great size for carrying a laptop and minimal stuff around. I tend to use space if I have it, so I may be better off splitting. Airline restrictions on number of carry ons may come in to play, though.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm not Fat I'm Big Boned".

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @AVService,

I agree that you can fit two laptops into that center component. I usually carry the TriStar for work travel, and I agree that I personally never use the back zippered backpack strap compartment for laptops -- only to store an iPad.

@Artemis,

How heavy a bag do you feel comfortable carrying? I'm under 5' 4", so my answer about splitting bags may be colored by the fact that even without any health/strength issues I probably wouldn't like to carry around, for example, a Lenovo W520 with extended battery and hard drives in the ultrabay, along with a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, plus all my clothes and accessories for a business trip in the TriStar. That combination would likely be a much larger fraction of my weight than of @AVService's.

YMMV

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big boned with lots of cushion, here, just like icing on the cake, isn't that the best part?