Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Thoughts on Waxed Canvas vs Nylon?

Hi all. I'm wondering if I can get an opinion on waxed canvas vs nylon?

For professional settings, a leather+waxed canvas bag might look a bit more the part with a smart blazer look. But how do you feel about wearability? Is nylon always stronger? Can waxed canvas be thick enough to hold up similar?

(I'm looking specifically at Waterfield. I did get myself a Tom Bihn Cadet, but for some business meetings, I'm not sure it's professional enough??)

Thanks!

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to say it doesn't matter but the truth is it depends on your business circle. Personally, I'm a big fan of Tumi for business bags. I have an older version of this: Andersen Slim Commuter Brief - Alpha Bravo | Tumi North America Site I used to use all the time in my old role. In my current office though my EDC is TB.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nylon is going to be stronger (assuming you're referring to ballistic or something similar). IMO, waxed cloth of any sort does look better, especially as it gets worn in. I'm not sure if a bag is similar to a waxed jacket, but I would be worried about the smell that can sometimes come with a waxed product.

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got a waxed canvas messenger bag that I used a good bit and I always got complements on it. However, in my opinion, it sort of feel into the same category as a nylon bag of being more casual. To me professional bags are generally leather, so if you work in circles where it might matter you may want to consider a leather bag. However, if you feel comfortable with the canvas bag I suspect it will hold up just fine.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    To me professional bags are generally leather, so if you work in circles where it might matter you may want to consider a leather bag.
    I agree with this but also think in recent years ballistic nylon has taken a lot of marketshare from leather. Perhaps this is also a California thing, I can't say for certain.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the bag I was considering was the Waterfield Bolt. I actually think it looks a bit more appropriate in a business meeting than one of those 70s-style "dress-up" bags that are shiny leather. But I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

One concern might be weight.

At any rate, it sounds like canvass is fine? Is that the consensus? Canvas is A-OK?

For now I will probably stick with the Cadet. My only real complaint with it is that the phone pocket doesn't fit a modern phone.