Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ohio
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zipper pull cords---why do you use them?

I got an A45 for Christmas, and as you all know, it comes with a package of the zipper pull cords and little plastic cap thingies. For those of you who have attached the cords, what was your reason for doing so? Is it to make using the zippers easier, or is it more an aesthetic decision? I do find that the zippers on the A45 are a bit stiff, but I'm guessing that they'll ease up over time/use.

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people use them for 1) reducing noise of metal zipper tabs 2) ease of using zippers and 3) aesthetics (sometimes substituting colors). Me personally, I use them for ease of opening zippers and reducing the noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't decide to use or not to use, I made this video to help the process of quickly removing them so you can try them out or easily remove them without cutting the cords or hurting yourself trying to remove them! [QUOTE=shoplarry;132153]I just made this video on how to remove the plastic zipper pulls https://youtu.be/I-igZUj4xFM

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them on my A45, A30 and Side Effect. I find they help with zipping and un-zipping. I don't have mine set up so much for noise reduction, though it does cut the jangle noise quite a bit.

I had my Side Effect for two years and never used them. When I got the A45, the zippers were difficult for me, so I thought I'd try them. It made a big difference and I put them on all my bags. I can't believe it took me that long to try them!

Zamora - Spain
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them in my A30 to reduce the noise. I really can't live with that jangle noise.
    -- Travelling the world, slowly

Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the others. I use them to reduce zipper noise and make it easier to access.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aremesal View Post
    I use them in my A30 to reduce the noise. I really can't live with that jangle noise.
    This, on allllllllllllllllll the bags. Plus, I got my hands on paracord in a bunch of cool and complementing colors, so I put black/turquoise zipper pulls on my plain black Smart Alec, black/steel zipper pulls on my Aubergine/Steel Side Kick, etc for a little bit of extra fun.

I double-loop the cords through the metal zipper tabs (sort of a figure 8) in order to get maximum jangle reduction.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for jangle prevention. I prefer to not sound like I'm accompanied by a pack of golden retrievers, as potentially adorable as that sounds! I also use different color cords for each zipper on my EDC-type bags (vs one color on travel bags), which helps my very visually-driven lizard brain remember where everything is.
    Last edited by capncat; 01-02-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the zipper pulls were kind of ridiculous when I got my first TB bag. And then I carried it and the jangle of the zippers drove me nuts. The pulls really do help tone down the noise (depending on how you thread them through the metal zipper pulls). And they really do help with opening and closing the bags. I put them on all my bags now.

The thing I've learned is that all TB items have a very good purpose and are well designed. Even things I didn't know I wanted or needed have now become necessities and I don't know how I lived without them before.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 01-02-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is also TB's video on different ways to use the zipper pulls, for reference.

Ohio
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll give the cords a try and see if they make zipping/unzipping a bit easier for me. I'm not bothered by the jangle noise, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zipper pulls are also great when your trying to access your A45 in cold weather with gloves on. Smilie

Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BASR View Post
    Agree with the others. I use them to reduce zipper noise and make it easier to access.
    +1

Synapse 25 Black/Wasabi Cordova, Pilot Navy/Northwest Sky Ballistic Nylon, Co-Pilot Black/Wasabi Halcyon, Aeronaut 45 Black/Wasabi Ballistic Nylon

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not connected to an A45 but a different reason for the pulls-- In addition to using them to make it easier to grab the zip, I use them selectively on bags to help me distinguish one zipper/pocket from another. My DLBP has one on the outside pocket, for example. The zips going round the edge don't.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about gloved access. Grabbing a metal zipper with gloves on is a chore. Grabbing something akin to your shoelaces is easy, peasy...

Lemon squeezie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast