Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 Volume Sizing

I'm looking for a '1-bag' solution, and like the look of the Synapse 19, but not really sure how much can get in there, particularly with the pockets. I've pulled together a rough mix of clothing that I'd use as a trial and everything fits tight into the main compartment of a Deuter Speedlight 20.

As an example:
    • 3 t-shirts (probably cut to 2)
    • 1 sweater (will use a much lower volume merino sweater)
    • 1 pair hiking pants (won't really pack this, just using to pad things out)
    • 3 socks + 3 undies (will go down to 2+2 and smaller/thinner)
    • electronics + hygiene + liquids zip locks

Now I have some wiggle room, as I packed a few things I won't need, and just used stuff I had lying around, rather than my light weight gear, so I'm comfortable that I don't need more than 20l of stuff, and possibly might go down to 15l.

Question is will this fit into a S19, given I can probably get the zip locks into the side/front pockets. And as a final, I like to carry a lightweight down/rain jacket. My plan would be to put these in the lower pocket. Will the above still fit with the down and rain gear?

If anyone has a Speedlight and is willing to show a compare of gear in that vs the S19, that would be fantastic!
    Last edited by Nepherim; 01-22-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say. "electronics + hygiene + liquids zip locks" is very vague and could encompass a great deal of things.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of volume think 3 small sandwich ziplocks, loosely packed.
    • Electronics: 3 small USB type cables, 1 mini router, 1 usb 2-port hub, 1 international plug converter
    • Liquids: 1 2oz shampoo, 1 2oz body wash, toothbrush, 3oz toothpaste tube
    • Hygeine: Misc pills and thera-flu. Very minimal, packs very small.
    Last edited by Nepherim; 01-23-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can fit 3 T-shirts, a regular sweater (with elbow patches!), a pair of Icebreaker Escape pants (not hiking pants but fairly thick for merino), 3 socks n' jocks, and a similar quantity of electronics + hygiene + liquids into a Daylight Backpack, which is 16.5 L. I think an S19 for your purposes sounds very reasonable, and it's a bit more robust than the Daylight. If you can squeeze your jacket into a Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack it should be able to fit into the front pocket of the S19; you will just want to pack the front pocket before the main compartment to ensure the pack maintains its sleekness.

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepherim View Post
    I'm not alone! Big Grin

I've thought about trying an S19, but I haven't taken the time (or shipping money) to buy one and compare.

While I'm here: Does a SK and/or EC Specter Half Cube fit well horizontally in a S19? Would the bottom pocket fit a 3DOC and TSS#1 in that situation?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @badger: Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Your list is very similar to what I'd pack. Useful to know everything fits into a 16L. I guess I'd still like to know things will fit into the more pocket organized S19.

Further research did yield some helpful posts though. For future reference:
    • 9-Days in Japan: Very usful packing video of a 'onebag' set of gear, including what looks like 3 shirts, 1 pants, usual misc stuff, and a down and rain jacket. Very close to what I'm looking for.
    • 2-Week Trip: Good perspective, based on ladies clothing, but interesting to see what fits.
    • Dimensions: Good information on actual sizing of the pack, including pocket sizes.
    • Ultralight Packing with the S19: Really good view on what can fit in the S19
    • Around the world with the S19: No pictures unfortunately, but a detailed list of what goes in an S19

Still interested in other perspectives. Also thoughts on material in terms of looks and packability regarding cordura vs halcyon. Seems like the halcyon is a little more packable.

Reposing... prior reply seems to have got lost to the ether.
    Last edited by Nepherim; 01-24-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay well I wrote a response with some links to others who managed to get pretty much what I'm looking to pack, but that response didn't get published for whatever reason.

So, in summary, @badger, thanks for the info. Good to know you can fit that into a Daylight. I think my concern is how much the pockets the S19 has reduces the effective packing volume. As I say, I found other posts which seem to indicate that it should be okay, but would be nice for some first hand experiences.

@brucep: Yeah, the investment here is the barrier. You need to be pretty sure the bag is fit for the gear you will carry before pulling the trigger!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, last try, since my other responses didn't get published.

@badger: thanks, good to know about the Daylight. My concern with the S19 is how the pockets affect the usable volume. But my guess is, not 3 liters worth.

I did find some other reviews which had similar gear in the S19, so looks like it might work. If you have direct experience, please let me know.

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the Deuter to do a comparison, but here's a video and a post that I did that might give you an idea of volume. It sounds like your things will fit, depending on the electronics. The bottom pocket is quite roomy and should fit a rain jacket just fine, but I'm not sure about the down jacket.

https://youtu.be/BrhnhjxM7xE

Or if you'd rather just see pictures: https://thesoulinspiration.com/2016/...hn-synapse-19/

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Talkshop90: I saw that video, thanks! The article is good too, pictures help. The down jacket packs pretty small, so I'm pretty sure the rain and down jacket will fit. Agai, just depends how much volume the pockets take away from the main volume in the pack.

In terms of electronics, pretty much a few cables. Loosely fits into a sandwhich ziplock.

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pockets don't really take away from the main compartment. They don't bulge forward or backward. They do bulge laterally, making it a tight squeeze for the water bottle pocket if you overdo it.

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    📦📪🏡
    🎒🥊🎒
    🛎⁉️📷

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brucep: what?

Forum Member
    Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a young lady who does one bag travel with the s19 and she has several videos on youtube showing her carrying a LOT more. She uses a packing cube for the close and just shoves her sweatshirt in there. That said, she is a slim woman so if you are a larger man, your clothes will be bigger. I had the s25 and it's darn near cavernous and if it weren't for my camping gear I could fit everything I need in it and I'm ridiculous when it comes to toiletries and makeup. I think you'd be fine. Here is her video https://youtu.be/s2XbDlfO0Hk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen her videos. She mostly travels between Texas and Thailand, it seems, so nary a parka or other winter gear in sight, if that helps to think about too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast