Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can the piping in TB bags get damaged from folding?

I love the Shop Bags so much, as they are super handy and carry comfortably. However, I've been afraid to roll them up or fold them because the piping seems like it could get crimped, twisted or damaged from folding.

Can anybody verify whether or not the piping used in TB bags can handle this sort of use?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they soften slightly over time but it is not a dramatic difference that affects the overall appearance or usability. If you look at the piping, it is matched by a pretty solid seam on the inside. When I folder up the shop bags, I usually do it lengthwise, but I'm not afraid of folding against the seams when needed.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @carrot,

I've been carrying a small shop bag in Sapphire folded/rolled up in the front right pocket of my Synapse for eight years without damage. I know that it has to be that long, because only a very few shop bags were made up in Sapphire Dyneema (now called Halcyon), after the shop bags first debuted in November 2008, and they all sold out before Christmas.

Here are some pictures that show ways other forum members carry folded/rolled shop bags. (I've excerpted these from other posts that weren't specifically about folding shop bags).

The ultraviolet shop-bag in the side pocket of @Ilkyway's Grey Synapse 25:

Here's the same UV Shop Bag outside of the pocket, secured with a keystrap:

(Aside: I also carry a Shop Bag in the same front side pocket of Synapse 25 or Synapse 19, but I just roll it and don't secure it with a keystrap. The pictures were from a May 2015 thread by @Ilkyway to discuss comparisons between Synapse and the Smart Alec.)

Here are some excerpted pictures of Small Shop Bags rolled into the Small Q-Kit (including that long suffering Sapphire Shop Bag of mine from 2008)

I'll embed a couple of pictures of the Sapphire Small Shop Bag rolled up in a Burnt Orange Small Q-KIt from my post (#21) in the So what did you order? March 10th releases thread.

Take a look at post #37 in that thread to see pictures of @NWHikergal's small wasabi shop bag in a Verde Small Q-Kit

You can also take a look at the If you roll up a Large Shop Bag... thread for links to pictures of shop bags rolled up into Stuff Sacks and for the Forum Hacks Video of how to roll a (small) shop bag into a Small Q-Kit. See also the Shop bags in a Stuff Sack thread.

Finally, there's the Tom Bihn bags as art thread, with many folded Shop Bag pictures, for example:

These are really pretty sturdy bags.

HTH

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I love the Shop Bags so much, as they are super handy and carry comfortably. However, I've been afraid to roll them up or fold them because the piping seems like it could get crimped, twisted or damaged from folding.

Can anybody verify whether or not the piping used in TB bags can handle this sort of use?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    small shop bag in Sapphire

Wait... is there a blue I didn't know about?
    Sidekick | Founder's Briefcase ■

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I've been carrying a small shop bag in Sapphire
    Seriously. This just jetted to the top of my wish list. It's never coming back, is it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can the piping in TB bags get damaged from folding?

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    Wait... is there a blue I didn't know about?
    @Julia,

On December 4, 2007 the Tom Bihn Blog announced the availability of Yarn Stuff Sacks in Sapphire Blue Dyneema
    Can the piping in TB bags get damaged from folding?-blueyarnsack2-jpg

When I asked about the availability of this color for other items (like packing cubes, and accessories like the Shop Bag that was then being developed) in the Color options for Packing Cubes? thread, Darcy replied:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Right now, we only have enough of the Sapphire/White Dyneema to make Yarn Stuff Sacks.

That said, the Sapphire/White Dyneema looks so good (and we've received many requests for colored Dyneema from folks like you, moriond) that Tom is considering adding one or two extra colors of Dyneema.

Any votes for color? The second color will always be white. Possibilities include: Cayenne/White, Sapphire/White, Wasabi/White, Crimson/White, Green/White.
    They did make a few organizer pouches in Sapphire Dyneema (I have a pen/pencil pouch in Sapphire), along with the original Passport Pouch. And they made a very few Shop Bags in Sapphire Dyneema before the supply of that material ran out.

You can read the Ultra light utility tote in Dyneema that lead to the development of the Shop Bag (from a forum request by @ratdeau in October 2007) for details. Near the end of the thread, just after the posts from people who received the Shop Bag in late November 2008, I posted that, as of December 2nd, they had a Sapphire option on the Shop Bag product page.

@maverick's video demonstrating how to fold a shop bag was made with a Sapphire Dyneema Shop Bag.

Also, if you want to see a comparison of Sapphire with Nordic Dyneema, @kkintea's post in the old My Nordic Family Photo thread shows an old Sapphire Passport Pouch surrounded by Nordic bags and accessories:

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-14-2017 at 06:13 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks moriond!!!!
    Sidekick | Founder's Briefcase ■