Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Lisa and Fong are making the first totally 100% done finished samples of The Bag Formerly Known As The Muse this week. Oh, and samples of the other new bag too!
    I would love to know more about the process of creating this bag. You said something a while back about a new custom piece of equipment necessary for this bag, would you tell us more about that after the debut? When Lisa and Fong make the first 100% finished samples, do they do one in each fabric?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I would love to know more about the process of creating this bag. You said something a while back about a new custom piece of equipment necessary for this bag, would you tell us more about that after the debut? When Lisa and Fong make the first 100% finished samples, do they do one in each fabric?
    I asked Tom, and he's up for authoring a blog post about the design process behind the new bags!

As for your second question: it depends on the design. There's a lot more to say about that, but it'll have to wait for the time being...
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lisa and Fong are making the first totally 100% done finished samples of The Bag Formerly Known As The Muse this week. Oh, and samples of the other new bag too!
    Woohoo! I've been using my Sprout as a purse the past week or so, and I'm definitely looking forward to an adult-sized version. Hopefully with more o-rings. Wink
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes!!! I said to myself earlier today that there has to be an update! I can't wait to hear/see more!!!
    S19 Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky .... Maker's Bag Black Halcyon/Wasabi .... Side Effect Aubergine/Wasabi .... Med Cafe Bag Steel/Navy

I make TOM BIHN videos
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this post for an update.

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...coming-tb.html

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the "Muse" can we get any clarification as to whether it would fit inside an A45 or TriStar?

Also, does it fit a 15 inch MacBook Pro?

I'm about to take a shorter trip and may be picking up a TS if the color combo is available in time and I want to one bag this trip but need a daily carry bag for when I arrive that fits a 15" MBP.

Right now the Daylight Backpack is the current contender

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Selykg View Post
    For the "Muse" can we get any clarification as to whether it would fit inside an A45 or TriStar?

Also, does it fit a 15 inch MacBook Pro?

I'm about to take a shorter trip and may be picking up a TS if the color combo is available in time and I want to one bag this trip but need a daily carry bag for when I arrive that fits a 15" MBP.

Right now the Daylight Backpack is the current contender
    The new bags are going to debut as 'in production' so they won't be available to buy on Tuesday, but the full specs, etc, will be revealed.

I believe they are both meant to be on the small side so these particular bags might not be what you need for this particular trip, especially if it is very soon. HTH

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The new bags are going to debut as 'in production' so they won't be available to buy on Tuesday, but the full specs, etc, will be revealed.

I believe they are both meant to be on the small side so these particular bags might not be what you need for this particular trip, especially if it is very soon. HTH
    Where do they say both are small? My understanding was that the Muse was smaller than S19 but nothing was really known about the second bag

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do they say both are small? My understanding was that the Muse was smaller than S19 but nothing was really known about the second bag
    You're right, we know very little about the second bag, but we do know it won't fit a large container of cheese balls (from the thread called "So much for my sleuthing"). It WILL fit 12L of cheese balls when they aren't in the container, so that possibly reveals more about its shape than overall size. Many mysteries remain!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, both bags have a capacity of 12 liters....
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically, 3/4 size of the daylight pack or almost double the sprout.
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that's sad... I fear that if both of these are that small I am unlikely to find much use for them. I think I want a Daylight backpack with slightly more to it (like padded straps). The S19 would be fine, but it can't hold a 15" laptop.

Hopefully within the next year the 15" laptop bit won't be as necessary for me when I upgrade desktop and laptop and can go smaller on the laptop. But for now, the laptop is a necessity. Guess I'm waiting for those other colors to get back in stock for the Daylight backpack and passing on these two new bags.... they sound like they're probably for kids at that size.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that's sad... I fear that if both of these are that small I am unlikely to find much use for them. I think I want a Daylight backpack with slightly more to it (like padded straps). The S19 would be fine, but it can't hold a 15" laptop.

Hopefully within the next year the 15" laptop bit won't be as necessary for me when I upgrade desktop and laptop and can go smaller on the laptop. But for now, the laptop is a necessity. Guess I'm waiting for those other colors to get back in stock for the Daylight backpack and passing on these two new bags.... they sound like they're probably for kids at that size.
    Hi Selykg!

The 2016 15" MacBook Pro (the one with the TouchBar), as well as the 2017 update, actually fits inside the Synapse 19 when placed in the Cache.

On a separate note, I think I am allowed to share that at least one bag being announced tomorrow is well suited for us big kids too! Wink
    -m

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Hi Selykg!

The 2016 15" MacBook Pro (the one with the TouchBar), as well as the 2017 update, actually fits inside the Synapse 19 when placed in the Cache.

On a separate note, I think I am allowed to share that at least one bag being announced tomorrow is well suited for us big kids too! Wink
    I have a 2012 15". Guessing that's a tight squeeze.

I have a Synapse 25, and the 19 isn't much smaller in the end. I'm looking for a bag that's small and packable. I take ~3-4 trips a year and each trip I end up taking both a Synapse 25 and an A45. I'd like to be able to get a bag packed inside the A45 so I only have to worry about one bag on travel days and still have a smaller bag while at my destination. The Daylight Backpack is small enough to be packable but still hold the laptop. This is why it wins over the 19. Also, significantly cheaper.

I just wish the DLBP had padded straps. No doubt some people will find uses for the new bags unveiling tomorrow, but I'm afraid that they probably aren't usable for me.

The Synapse 25 is great for day to day use as an EDC, but it's too big to pack inside an A45 without it taking up a fair bit of space (both in thickness and in sheer size due to the fact the A45 would need it's side pockets unzipped internally. Not sure I want to lose that convenience.

I'm considering a Tri-Star over the A45 as it has a more dedicated central area that should hold electronics well enough during travel then a folded up DLBP for the destination.

Edit: And if any Tom Bihn employees are watching. You should probably take some cues from manufacturer's like Tortuga and Minaal. Tortuga's packable daypack is almost exactly what I'm looking for. People are willing to pay for these types of things if they're designed together.

That's probably my only real complaint with Tom Bihn's stuff, everything seems to be designed for that bag more or less being the only bag. In reality it rarely works out that way these days. Your travel bags are great, though, they have a less focused mindset of a traveling tech person... Minaal has a nice edge there.

So,

1. Focus on a set of bags that can go together like in my situation. I want a single carry bag for travel days, with a nice day pack at my destination
    2. Time to get a little more invested in the tech side of things. Cache's and brain cases are cool and all, but I think we can get a bit more creative.

As a remote worker a S25 works great for the day to day, but travel is still a bit of a mess but I'm willing to pay if it makes my life easier when traveling.
    Last edited by Selykg; 06-26-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7