Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Halcyon or Black Cordura for Synapse 25 - opinions please!

I am torn between the Black Halcyon/Iberian or the plain Black/Iberian Cordura Synapse 25. I am a Sales Professional, but will rarely have the bag with customers, typically used for plane travel but also EDC. My wife doesn't like the black grid/checks of the Halcyon - doesn't think it looks as professional as the plain black. Caveat is that she tends to be more conservative with colors - lot of black and blues. I have a plain black Aeronaut 45 and love it for my carry on, but think I will prefer the Black Halcyon as I like my backpack to have some character.

I have seen the Black Halcyon and like it, but have not seen the Black/Iberian Cordura in person.

Any opinions or thoughts?

Really appreciate your help and insights!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Halcyon and Black Cordura on the outside look pretty similar; both are nondescript and conservative, and great choices in an exterior. IMO the big difference is in texture. Cordura is a rough, more natural fabric, and it's a tiny bit thicker than Halcyon. It is tougher, but both fabrics are pretty strong. It picks up lint and dirt more easily. People with pets usually prefer Halcyon for that reason.

I have the Synapse 19, and I prefer it in black Halcyon. For me, I prefer the smooth texture. But that's only one data point Smilie
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halcyon. My S19 is Halcyon (Original, not Black).

I don't really like the texture of Cordura very much, and I don't think the gray grid Halcyon looks unprofessional.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is Black Cordura/Iberion.

Black is never wrong.

I would like to try the newer Halcyon too but not enough to take the chance just yet.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the s19 in black cordura. I wish I had bought it in a Halcyon fabric.
    I think the black halcyon (with dark grid) looks more professional than the black cordura which tends to look a little "school bookbag-ish".

Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bchaplin - great insight on the dirt & lint as well as smooth texture - appreciate it!

Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ultravisitor, AVService & Kelly S - thank you for your thoughts. Kelly the black cordura being more "school book bag-ish" is what I was saying to my wife.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just picked up an old school Ristretto in Black Cordura. It's a rich black colour. The Black Halcyon items however are more muted and 'matt' effect.

Both are good but I love the richness of the Cordura (same applies to Ballistic).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Perseffect! Still torn - but leaning to checked Halcyon.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Black Halcyon is a bit more professional too... the grid adds a little personality without adding another color. Your wife might like it after seeing it in person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Black Halcyon, but for larger bags or EDC bags, such as the S25, I would always go for Cordura or ballistic for the added strength of the fabric. I prefer Black Halcyon for smaller bags and accessories.

But in the end it is always a personal preference. Smilie
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Synapse 25 in Black Cordura in January. Love the size and the organization. It picks up pet hair (2 corgis + a very old cat) and dust in light daily use.

If I was going to buy another bag, I would go for the Black Halcyon, just for a different look.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @abbienormal ,

Welcome to the forums. I feel it is safe to assume, that as someone who is new to TB, you did not read the Dec 4TH 2013 blog post titled "The Fur Test" before making your fabric selection. For those forum readers who were active at the time, I'm sure you all remember that the blog study was preceded by an earlier forum thread: 3D Cubes in Clear, Dyneema, and new Parapack; And, a Comparative Study. Apart from noting that Professor @Badger holds first publication rights on that topic, and without making comments on the relative validity of the two studies, I simply want to draw attention to the fact that the earlier study was performed with Corgis. (I mean, how's that for relevance?)

Quote Originally Posted by abbienormal View Post
    I bought a Synapse 25 in Black Cordura in January. Love the size and the organization. It picks up pet hair (2 corgis + a very old cat) and dust in light daily use.

If I was going to buy another bag, I would go for the Black Halcyon, just for a different look.
    HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks moriond! And well done, Badger. It's rare to find rigorous empirical tests performed with my exact use case. I should have searched for corgi mentions in the forums!

I have to confess that I wasn't even thinking about pet hair when I bought my Synapse.

Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    I think Black Halcyon is a bit more professional too... the grid adds a little personality without adding another color. Your wife might like it after seeing it in person.
    Thanks Sarah! Leaning Halcyon and hope you are right when my wife sees it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast