Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just when I thought I had things figured out...

I just got a Pilot and I love it.

Did some work travel with it and it was perfect since I travel with a Klean Kanteen that fits beautifully in the center pocket.

I thought I hit gold. Pilot plus A45 and I was unstoppable!

Well, now I just switched jobs and the laptop I'll be issued is a 16" one.

Poop.

It won't fit into the pilot per the specs on the site (don't have the laptop yet to try it out).

What are my options to carry this laptop and a water bottle?

I have a synapse 25 and would prefer not to use it for travel.

Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an answer to your question, but what is the perfectly sized Klean Kanteen for the Pilot?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luthercale View Post
    Not an answer to your question, but what is the perfectly sized Klean Kanteen for the Pilot?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
    Luthercale,

No problem! The best size would be the 20oz.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Empire Builder or Super Ego for any machines that big usually and a water bottle easily slides into either too.
    The Synapse is also probably just right for that,why don't you want to use yours?
    Backpack not practical?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I use an Empire Builder or Super Ego for any machines that big usually and a water bottle easily slides into either too.
    The Synapse is also probably just right for that,why don't you want to use yours?
    Backpack not practical?
    I wanted to keep my back empty so that I can use my A45 straps when needed.

I'll look into those had not considered them.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm loving my Ristretto.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    I'm loving my Ristretto.
    How would you deal with the bottle though in there?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ego, Ego Ego. Best bag ever made.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have a list that shows what bags actually fit a 15.6" laptop?

I was just issued a (very heavy) Dell E5570.

As a desktop replacement - great. However, I'll be traveling and I think I'm in trouble.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sose View Post
    Anyone have a list that shows what bags actually fit a 15.6" laptop?

I was just issued a (very heavy) Dell E5570.

As a desktop replacement - great. However, I'll be traveling and I think I'm in trouble.
    Bottom of the TB site has a link for weights and dimensions. Find out the dimensions of your beast and match them to the closest internal dimensions of a cache. From there, take the external dimensions of that cache and fit them to a bag. (Though I do wish it was better at giving both internal vs external sizes for the bags)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a giant brick of a work issued laptop. I have a black halcyon western flyer that works well. If I under pack it, the halcyon fabric naturally compresses and the bag looks fairly small.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you deal with the bottle though in there?
    Actually, a couple of things.

First of all, I never carry a bottle. Of anything. Ever. I know to many this admission sounds akin to admitting I don't have a toilet in my home, but frankly I've never understood why so many people feel the need to tote liquids around in their day-to-day, NON-hiking travels.

That said, I will admit that I've found that over-stuffing that front zippered compartment DOES push into the larger front compartment, limiting what I can squeeze in there.

What I like about it, however, is the fact that its trim profile forces me to limit my cargo (which admittedly, I was carrying too much of to begin with in my old bags).

I've also pointed out in another thread that the beauty of the Ristretto is its relatively deep VERTICAL orientation, as opposed to a wide but shallow horizontal orientation. That extra couple of inches going down vertically versus horizontally makes all the difference navigating through crowded subways and cramped restaurants and stores; I stopped using my "big" Jack Spade bag because I was always banging into things, feeling like a bull in a china shop. The Ristretto fits so snugly and trimly against my side that I often forget I'm carrying it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the O.P. of this thread asks about what they have and need to carry and not whether you approve of carrying water so I thought that maybe your suggestion reflected that need?

Some of us exert themselves frequently throughout the day and in our travels and like to carry water as we can get thirsty,not too tough to understand really?
    I can be up and down ladders and in Attics and dusty Crawl Spaces all day long and on construction sites and often where there is no Water or Indoor Toilet.

Hydrate or Die!

Actually, a couple of things.

First of all, I never carry a bottle. Of anything. Ever. I know to many this admission sounds akin to admitting I don't have a toilet in my home, but frankly I've never understood why so many people feel the need to tote liquids around in their day-to-day, NON-hiking travels.

That said, I will admit that I've found that over-stuffing that front zippered compartment DOES push into the larger front compartment, limiting what I can squeeze in there.

What I like about it, however, is the fact that its trim profile forces me to limit my cargo (which admittedly, I was carrying too much of to begin with in my old bags).

I've also pointed out in another thread that the beauty of the Ristretto is its relatively deep VERTICAL orientation, as opposed to a wide but shallow horizontal orientation. That extra couple of inches going down vertically versus horizontally makes all the difference navigating through crowded subways and cramped restaurants and stores; I stopped using my "big" Jack Spade bag because I was always banging into things, feeling like a bull in a china shop. The Ristretto fits so snugly and trimly against my side that I often forget I'm carrying it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the O.P. of this thread asks about what they have and need to carry and not whether you approve of carrying water so I thought that maybe your suggestion reflected that need?

Some of us exert themselves frequently throughout the day and in our travels and like to carry water as we can get thirsty,not too tough to understand really?
    I can be up and down ladders and in Attics and dusty Crawl Spaces all day long and on construction sites and often where there is no Water or Indoor Toilet.

Hydrate or Die!
    I never said I didn't "approve" of carrying water; please don't put words in my mouth.

I said I didn't understand the need; most of the people I see walking around Manhattan in suits and skirts are not working on construction sites without running water.

There's a world of difference.

Peace.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks for not addressing my main point about the thread at all?

That is what I read,OK?

You big city slickers with your indoor toilets?

I never said I didn't "approve" of carrying water; please don't put words in my mouth.

I said I didn't understand the need; most of the people I see walking around Manhattan in suits and skirts are not working on construction sites without running water.

There's a world of difference.

Peace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast