Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some validation before I buy two bags...

I am looking at buying two Tom Bihn bags to go with my A45.

In general, I don't like to have anything under my feet in front of me when I travel. I find it annoying to not be able to stretch out. I also like to only bring a single bag through security (I am pre-check) and its just easier to drop it down, walk through and grab it again until I get settled and ready for my flight.

The first bag I am looking at is for when I am doing domestic (US) travel. I am considering the sidekick for domestic travel and will use double carabiner to connect it to the seat back.

In that bag I would carry the following:

* kindle fire 8 HD (8.43 x 5.04 x 0.30 in)
    * Misc pills
    * USB C and Micro USB Cable
    * 2 port USB charger
    * Battery pack
    * Empty vapour bottle (if going cross country)
    * Tissues
    * Headphones
    * Pen
    * Snacks (sometimes stuff a banana from a lounge in there for later)

Would this all fit?
    I would want to place this into the side pocket of my A45 until I get through security. Usually it comes out once I am in a lounge or at the gate. I then want to carry it with a strap. Could use the absolute shoulder strap that I got with my A45 and then stuff that into the bag once I am at my seat? For cross country flights I usually fill my vapour bottle up and would like to connect it to either sidekick in some way.

I will note that as a dude, I am somewhat concerned that the side kick looks like a purse.. Is that unfounded?

For international travel on the plane I usually carry all of the above plus:
    * Ear Plugs
    * Eye shades
    * Travel blanket
    * Inflatable pillow
    * Passport
    * Mini flashlight
    * International power adapters

For international travel, I am considering upgraded my seatback bag to be the daylight briefcase. Once again, I want to pack this into the side of my A45 and pull it out post security and use use double caribeaners to connect it to the seat back. I do this right now with a Flight001 seatpak pro bag and its a bit of a tight fit and that bag is annoying to carry as I have to hold it in my hand which makes it difficult when boarding, to show ticket, passport, etc..

In either situation I would also be using the daylight briefcase as my EDC when I landed - I would swap out the above travel items an swap in:

* Thinkpad X1 Carbon or MBP 13"
    * Dart charger
    * Mini flashlight
    * Small Umbrella (if necessary)
    * Business cards
    * Small notepad
    * Laptop lock
    * Earbuds w/ mic
    * Slide advancer
    * VGA/HDMI adapter
    * International power adapters

I am looking for some validation that my loading plan looks OK?

I know I am going to need to get a bunch of Qkits and other misc items once I get the bag to really see how everything fits.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you really need the USB charger and Intl adapters at your seat? While the Sidekick does look a bit like a purse, you're not "carrying" it except from the overhead bin to your seat - for that it looks like a packing cube. I wouldn't use a strap at all, just some sort of wrist strap connected to the double carabiners.

Make sure you get long USB cables as you'll want to leave your battery in the bag and just pull the cables out - six foot cables should suffice.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Do you really need the USB charger and Intl adapters at your seat? While the Sidekick does look a bit like a purse, you're not "carrying" it except from the overhead bin to your seat - for that it looks like a packing cube. I wouldn't use a strap at all, just some sort of wrist strap connected to the double carabiners.

Make sure you get long USB cables as you'll want to leave your battery in the bag and just pull the cables out - six foot cables should suffice.
    I usually take this bag out after I clear security and leave it out until I reach my final destination where I repack it. So, I would be carrying it between flights and/or between lounges to the plane. So it will be out a bit more than just from the bin to my seat.

I carry my current bag by the built in handle right now and it's a pain to handle that and get my phone out to be scanned, etc which is why I am interested in the strap.

As for the power adapters and/or international adapters. I usually use them to top off my devices while waiting for the plane and need the international adapters if I am international.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense. How about attaching it with a carabiner or two to the other bag (the second carabiner to keep it from flopping around). I'd also keep my "top-off chargers" in a separate bag (perhaps on the other end of your A45 - why? because I'd want to only keep airplane stuff in my cabin bag to keep clutter down.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some validation before I buy two bags...

I don't know the Side Kick. I think it looks great but I passed on it as a "go to the playground with a kid bag" because I was too insecure about the purse look. Probably dumb though. It sounds right for your airport walking. .

I can confirm that your DLBC loading looks fine assuming that the blanket folds up like a light jacket. I love the DLBC as an EDC that fits inside my main bag. You could carry the DLBC on the standard strap through the airport and then enjoy the absolute strap at your destination as an EDC. .

The DLBC has to fold to fit in the A45's end pocket. That may work fine for you. Most of your stuff seems smushable. But i normally pack the DLBC (or DLBP for vacation travel) and then put it in the main compartment. It lays flat and goes in and out easily. With a blanket and kindle, your briefcase may be tough to fold into the end pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fulton; 03-26-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, the Side Kick does not look like a purse. It looks like a plain bag that you would use to carry exactly what you're looking to carry. It's the world we live in now where we have all sorts of stuff to carry that doesn't fit into our pockets. Furthermore, you are traveling. It is perfectly understandable for you to be carrying a bag while traveling.

Now, if you were talking about a Swift, then yes, I would tell you that it looks like a purse. But still, you're traveling...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Honestly, the Side Kick does not look like a purse. It looks like a plain bag that you would use to carry exactly what you're looking to carry. It's the world we live in now where we have all sorts of stuff to carry that doesn't fit into our pockets. Furthermore, you are traveling. It is perfectly understandable for you to be carrying a bag while traveling.

Now, if you were talking about a Swift, then yes, I would tell you that it looks like a purse. But still, you're traveling...
    alright.. sold!

Is the general recommendation that the halcyon would be a better fabric for putting into and out of the A45 side pocket?

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely halcyon if you want it to put it in anything else. I am not a guy, but i think the SK looks a little too much like a purse, but a SCB wouldn't.... color me weird.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the daylight briefcase paired with the sidekick for my needs as well. I carry the sidekick and if I need my laptop I bring the daylight. As a man the sidekick looks fine. Don't worry about the purse stuff. If it fits your needs who cares what people think. Those in the "know" will be like TOM BIHN SIDE KICK SPOTTED lol.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsblade View Post
    Don't worry about the purse stuff. If it fits your needs who cares what people think. Those in the "know" will be like TOM BIHN SIDE KICK SPOTTED lol.
    Seriously, the most embarrassing thing that would likely happen if he was carrying a Side Kick is one of us TB crazies would run up to him and start joyously screaming about Tom Bihn bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Seriously, the most embarrassing thing that would likely happen if he was carrying a Side Kick is one of us TB crazies would run up to him and start joyously screaming about Tom Bihn bags.
    lol so true

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the SK in aubergine ballistic and routinely slip it into and out of the zipper pocket of my makers bag without any difficulty at all. I bought it instead of a Freudian slip so I can use it for a smaller EDC on my trip. It works in the side pocket of my A45 no problem as well. The linings of both pockets are halcyon, so maybe that's why it works?
    I love my SK more than I thought I would Smilie