Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC Small Cafe vs side effect

I need a EDC bag for:
    iphone 7 (not plus)
    headphones
    small trifold wallet, slightly thicker than most men's wallets (willing to exchange this for another option if anyone has a bihn suggestion)
    small assortment of a few pens and eyeliner and chapstick/lipstick
    house keys (small)
    granola bar

I have a medium cafe and it is too large most of the time. Trying to decide between the small cafe and the side effect (I know they are quite different)
    TIA
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of that should fit easily in a Side Effect (if your headphones are earbuds). Since almost all of those items are highly valuable, I would go for the SE because it zips closed and I would want that extra security.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDC Small Cafe vs side effect-img_0672-jpg

A side effect will fit all of that and more, assuming the earphones are buds or small around the ear types. Here's mine fully loaded.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would fit snugly in a Side Effect, I have a wallet that sounds slightly larger than yours and often stuff it in an SE with a re-useable grocery bag that is larger than the rest of your list, plus keys and an iPhone 7 Plus.

If you do find the SE too small, you might consider the Side Kick instead of Small Cafe bag. Personally I prefer the SCB for the flexibility of being able to stuff a little bit extra in after it is already full, but the Side Kick has more organization options and the zip closure makes it a bit more secure.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side kick EDC Small Cafe vs side effect

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with the extra real estate in the Side Kick. I like the extra security the zippered opening provides, plus if you want to add a paperback or a kindle it will fit.
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the SCB for an EDC, and I have all three SK, SCB and MCB. I agree the MCB is a bit big, but the SCB is great because i can toss in a water bottle vertically and if the bag isn't full it doesn't look empty. I like the fact that i don't have to zipper the SCB closed to have it look covered.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Small Cafe Bag a lot but have decided that, for me, it is much more usable with the matching Freudian Slip inside. The FS secures valuables, gives the Small Cafe Bag a little bit of shape, and makes it easier to find things due to the pockets. If I was just buying one bag, and didn't want the added expense of an extra item, I'd select the Side Effect or Side Kick, because they zipper shut and have a lot of pockets (relative to the interior space) to organize the contents.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-27-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have and use all 3 for an EDC, but for what you listed I'd recommend the side kick, unless you really prefer the look of the SCB.

I think the SE would be a little small for what you listed, although it should fit. I find the interior pockets in the SE a little too small to be useful. The SK pockets are a different story.

I love the look of the SCB and the pockets are wonderfully roomy. I suspect you'd find it a little large for what you carry, depending on the size of the headphones of course. I don't use a Freudian slip in mine -- I have one, I just find it makes the bag feel too crowded for my tastes.

The SK, at about the size of a hardback book, fits nicely in a backpack or in other bags, which is a real plus.

Forum Member
    The City of Angels
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    catherder beat me to it. It's not under consideration, but I also humbly suggest the Side Kick. It's only slightly larger than the Side Effect but seems so much more versatile. I have all 3, including the Freudian Slip for the Small Cafe Bag; I feel exactly as catherder - using it in the Small Cafe Bag robs it of most of it's room. In comparison, the pockets in the Side Kick are so much more useful that I don't find myself wanting or missing a Freudian Slip.

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a medium clear organizer pouch filled with all the bitty stuff i always take with me and i put it in all of my Bihn bags, it slides easily inside a SCB, a Pilot pocket or a S19. That way i don't have to move things individually from bag to bag and always know what I have with me. It also is slimmer than a SE or SK, but not something you can use on its own.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SCB has replaced the LCB as Cafe Bag of All Trades.

The SE has its pockets, zippers and streamlined looks that makes it suitable everywhere from EDC, to adventures hiking, whale watching, to shopping for back to school, beach stuff, linen sales, etc...

It can also double as a large wallet; makeup, medications, essentials or glasses bag inside a bigger bag like a Swift, Parental Unit and Maker's Bag, secured with an O ring; or inside a the S19, S25, with 2 O rings making it a very handy pocket on the upper part of a backpack, which is always useful at school, at conferences or on travel.

The SE can also double as a formal envelope purse.

I don't have a Side Kick but I used another TB accessory inside an S19 to juggle with paperwork, currencies, itineraries... during a complicated trip.
    The Side Kick would be great for that, and can double as an EDC while sightseeing and nice purse at restaurants.

The SK can be tethered to east/west bags or backpacks as I described for the SE.

Edited because I want to add that I don't have a Freudian Slip inside the SCB because I want to keep the lightness and floppiness and hability to fit, just one more thing, intact.

I feel the opposite about the SE and SK, they are there to provide structure and protection to my things and, I feel are dressier.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-30-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sboussios View Post
    I use a medium clear organizer pouch filled with all the bitty stuff i always take with me and i put it in all of my Bihn bags, it slides easily inside a SCB, a Pilot pocket or a S19. That way i don't have to move things individually from bag to bag and always know what I have with me. It also is slimmer than a SE or SK, but not something you can use on its own.
    @sboussios: ...and now I have a reason to get a SCB. Oh dear. Though on re-reading, you didn't write quite what I thought I read, so I may be safe yet! (I was using a 3DCOC the way you describe using a COP, and it worked well for me in my Pilot and Co-Pilot but I didn't like using it on its own because it's clear, so I switched to a halcyon SE which isn't clear but doesn't slide into the Pilot and Co-Pilot quite as easily--it fits, but I have to scrunch it a little. If the 3DCOC fits in a SCB, though, I could go back to using the 3DCOC and drop it into a SCB when I don't need one of the larger bags.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The SCB has replaced the LCB as Cafe Bag of All Trades.

The SE has its pockets, zippers and streamlined looks that makes it suitable everywhere from EDC, to adventures hiking, whale watching, to shopping for back to school, beach stuff, linen sales, etc...

It can also double as a large wallet; makeup, medications, essentials or glasses bag inside a bigger bag like a Swift, Parental Unit and Maker's Bag, secured with an O ring; or inside a the S19, S25, with 2 O rings making it a very handy pocket on the upper part of a backpack, which is always useful at school, at conferences or on travel.

The SE can also double as a formal envelope purse.

I don't have a Side Kick but I used another TB accessory inside an S19 to juggle with paperwork, currencies, itineraries... during a complicated trip.
    The Side Kick would be great for that, and can double as an EDC while sightseeing and nice purse at restaurants.

The SK can be tethered to east/west bags or backpacks as I described for the SE.

Edited because I want to add that I don't have a Freudian Slip inside the SCB because I want to keep the lightness and floppiness and ability to fit, just one more thing, intact.

I feel the opposite about the SE and SK, they are there to provide structure and protection to my things and, I feel are dressier.
    I just corrected the spelling of ability. I posted without correcting it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SCB - for such easy and effortless in-n-out. And I love the pocket at the back.
    I have 2 MCB's which are too big to be my EDC but my daughter loves the size so they're hers now. For me, the SCB is just right!
    I like my SEs but not for my "purse". Too small. I love my SK but love my SCB even more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast