Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    30.7 miles south of the TB mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a leather purse. (SCB love story)

This is a little story of regret...

I'll start my little tale by telling you guys that I own: a navy/solar swift, navy/solar side effect, navy/solar Ristretto, a verde/nwsky makers bag, myriad accessories and pouches, and lastly- the item this little tale is about- my beloved used and abused but still new looking small cafe bag in black. I love Tom Bihn.

I love Tom Bihn, but I'm not immune to purse lust. I love a well-made bag in just the right color. The promise of the perfect bag with the perfect body hugging shape and readily accessible pockets haunts my dreams.

I was in a small shop and spied a beautiful elephant gray leather purse and succumbed. (It cost 2.5x what a new SCB would.) I used it for 3 days and felt very embarrassed and mad at myself because it was apparent almost immediately that I hated the bag.

The first problem I encountered was upon exiting my vehicle at my house to go inside. I normally just grab the top handle on my SCB and head inside. I don't bother putting it on cross body like I do when I'm going into a store. I just grab that top handle and then hang it once I'm inside the door. I have no idea why that alone annoyed me so much, but having to hold the new purse like a baby cradling the bottom of it to move it from car to house was really awkward.

The second problem- there's no back pocket to quickly slip my phone and keys into. There was a small awkward pocket on the back of the purse that was exactly the size of a small smartphone- and no deeper which seemed awfully dicey and prone to phone dump. So I had no where to put my keys and a weird little pocket I had to tetris my phone into each time I wanted to check it or send a text.

The third problem- having to fumble to get into the purse, which had a magnetic flip top flap closure similar to the SCB, but no clip to mess with. Thought that would be handy and faster, but the bag didn't want to stay open and kept clasping shut as I was trying to retrieve my stuff, and having to dig dig dig to the bottom to pull my wallet out was a very clumsy check stand feat. And repeat when trying to put the wallet back in.

The last problem- the strap was skinny and not adjustable. The purse hung from my body like a basketball jostling about as I walked and spinning if anything grazed against it. I have sensory issues and can't stand the feeling of items suspended off my body waving and wobbling about. I don't like feeling like my bag is going to knock items off shelves or wack into things.

Oh, almost forgot- no O rings, which now I know is a deal breaker.

The new purse is not returnable which is a major ouch, but I've learned that the SCB is my sole mate of EDC/purses. I am going to indulge in a freudian slip for it, and also buy another one in an actual color since I've been using the black one now for 5 years. It looks brand new. It's washable. I think I also want to get a MCB and FS. I'll be selling the leather purse.

My friends and family tease me about my Tom Bihn love. I'm not a fashion-conscious person; I'm a function-conscious person. And Tom Bihn is classic. To me it's neither out of nor in style and that's why I like it. It just is.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This tale of regret sounds familiar ..... just substitute the SCB for a S19 and the purse for a 'travel' backpack (or two I bought a leather purse. (SCB love story)) and it's very similar to my tale/s of woe I bought a leather purse. (SCB love story). Those O-rings are tiny but oh so missable in bags that don't have them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the story. I too have several beautiful leather bags that are functionally inferior so they languish in my closet because i use my Bihn bags instead...

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so hooked on O-rings, that it's hard to go back to a bag that doesn't have them.

I've even given up on my leather wallet, and just use a clear double organizer pouch, which is nice and flat, and I can tether to the inside of the bag, so I don't drop it or leave it anywhere.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to say "welcome to the club" because this is what happened to me before I found Tom Bihn Inc, and all the wonderful TB bags.

Could you believe that I lived many years near the first home of the Tom Bihn Inc, but, I never went to that town because it was quite a drive and the only time, the family went, I wasn't feeling good.

Talk about being infuriated at missing out on Tom's bags for a decade while I was struggling to find an adequate EDC, which never happened, by the way.

Tom Bihn Inc moved to the Seattle area, then when I moved out of the Bay Area, I found Tom Bihn Inc and its genius Brain Bag, there.

Now, there are places to get leather stuff out and cash in for more TB purchases.

Winnnnn! (in Austin's power voice)

O-rings, I am sure he'll say "yeah baby", well lulz....
    Last edited by backpack; 04-03-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Forum Member
    30.7 miles south of the TB mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to be among friends. Smilie I've been to the Tom Bihn shop once. I'm pretty close by it, but the Seattle area is gridlocked far and wide nearly everyday. I don't like sitting in traffic. I loved going in person because when I walked in I literally saw all the employees grinning from ear to ear. From the people selling bags up front to those seated at machines. That's the mark of confidence in your operation, when it's entirely visible. My mom was a backpack seamstress for many years. It's tough work. I love being a Tom Bihn customer because it's guilt free. They treat everyone right.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick is to buy a leather purse bit enough that you can put your sidekick in it. Nobody makes fun of your TB addiction because it looks like regular purse but you have all the delicious TB functionality. It's fantastic!

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally get this. We recently moved houses, and the box containing my leather purses has disappeared (likely donated by accident). I did hand carry my tub of TB goodies and will likely treat myself to a new TB bag to ease the pain of the other missing bags. At least that's my story for my husband. Wink
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhh yes, I too have fallen victim to a trendy handbag in the past - all that has changed since my Verde MB came into my life two months ago! One MCB and Side Effect later, and with a Synapse19 on the way (anxiously tracking my package as we speak), I now walk through any store and don't even consider looking at handbags. The trendy leather tote used until my MB arrived was but a forgotten memory until yesterday, when I started shifting my heavy coats out of the way for springtime. It's still a great bag and is important because of the work I put into saving and buying it on a student budget, but its functionality pales in comparison to my equally loved Tom Bihn bags. Wink

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I inherited my Mom's vintage Chanel quilted handbag with the chain strap and a big huge leather tassel. It is gorgeous, but it was ridiculously expensive, and I cannot see me carrying it except for maybe a special occasion when my SK or SE doesn't quite go with my semi formal dress.

Then I realized that the Chanel bag was big enough that the SK or SE actually fits inside it. I can just pop the TB bag inside and go.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I inherited my Mom's vintage Chanel quilted handbag with the chain strap and a big huge leather tassel. It is gorgeous, but it was ridiculously expensive, and I cannot see me carrying it except for maybe a special occasion when my SK or SE doesn't quite go with my semi formal dress.

Then I realized that the Chanel bag was big enough that the SK or SE actually fits inside it. I can just pop the TB bag inside and go.
    I love that! TB in disguise. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, it is the season of charity auctions, there is also ways to donate or sell stuff virtually, then set aside some funds to get a Donation Crane.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-05-2017 at 07:09 AM.