Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Well that was my first thought too when I first unpacked it, but this thing easily swallows everything I had in my previous, much larger bag, and everything's much easier to get at and see, and carry around.
    Thanks, I am hoping so. It will be here Wednesday. Its replacing my MB that hubs decided he wanted...and he doesn't even carry a bag. The only thing I worry about is my water bottle. It's huge, so it may move to the back, and something else (knitting/crochet) can take the water bottle area

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    I have a S19 and don't like it at all. I feel like it doesn't hold much.

Then I got the Daylight backpack (which is actually smaller) and it holds a TON.

Contributing factors to this:
    1) Big gaping space versus many many pockets and nooks. It turns out I prefer cubes and stuff sacks to pockets.
    2) Daylight backpack is Halycon and more "stuffable" in my opinion whereas S19 is Cordura.

I've kept the S19 so far but I suspect I'll list it on Craigslist and buy the S25. Or possibly the Smart Alec. I love backpacks but I just don't think the S19 is my jam.

I think that's one of the reasons I love this forum so much. I'm very "meh" about the S19 and other people adore it. I, on the other hand, can't believe how much I love the Daylight backpack. I love it so much I bought a second one and it'll be arriving at my house tomorrow.

If you don't love what you have keep trying. Once you find something that clicks for you you'll honestly wonder how you ever lived without it.
    I'm curious, how tall are you? I am torn between the S19 and S25 but am worried the 19 might be too small for one bag travel, and the 25 too big for me (5'5 slim) both physically and for my EDC.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xena View Post
    I'm curious, how tall are you? I am torn between the S19 and S25 but am worried the 19 might be too small for one bag travel, and the 25 too big for me (5'5 slim) both physically and for my EDC.
    I'm so sorry Xena I totally missed this. Good to know! I'm 5'8" so I think the S25 would be okay for me. The problem is my packing strategy for both EDC and travel goes like this:

1) Pack the standard stuff I need.

2) Pack a couple extra things.

3) HEY I STILL HAVE ALL THIS SPACE I SHOULD FILL IT WITH ALL THESE THINGS!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

This is why the Daylight backpack works really well for me. And I'm thinking the Smart Alec would work for longer term travel. LOL.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry Xena I totally missed this. Good to know! I'm 5'8" so I think the S25 would be okay for me. The problem is my packing strategy for both EDC and travel goes like this:

1) Pack the standard stuff I need.

2) Pack a couple extra things.

3) HEY I STILL HAVE ALL THIS SPACE I SHOULD FILL IT WITH ALL THESE THINGS!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

This is why the Daylight backpack works really well for me. And I'm thinking the Smart Alec would work for longer term travel. LOL.
    Thank you! I ended up ordering the S19 since it's primarily going to be an EDC carry for work, and I want to have pockets separate from the main pocket to get into my little stuff. I'll also take the 19 liters as a challenge for one bag traveling, which should be fine since I'm small and getting compression cubes Smilie

Thanks for your answer!

Connecticut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both and love them for different reasons. I feel that the S19 is the perfect travel daypack - works well on a plane, and for walking around while travelling. The S25 I use for daily EDC - perfect size to hold things I want to have handy, but with room to toss in bigger items if needed. My issue is that my wife has adopted my S19 for her use while travelling so may need another...
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Fargo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Blend Halcyon would be amazing! <3 <3 <3

Ditto that!

Forum Member
    Fargo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er, forgot the rest of my post. I am 5' 3" female, have both 19 and 25 and have used both as EDC. S25 definitely holds more and has gatekeeper straps, so better for cache/ checkpoint setup; 19 lacks this (due to older model? Unsure if current ones have this). Problem is that if I fill S25 with all that I want, it is darn heavy for me. S19 looks better on me, weight is good when filled and holds plenty -- but I only have a 12.9 IPP to worry about for a computer. Neither of these is halcyon/ dyneema, which suits fine as I don't care for the slouchy look in a backpack. Thinking of unloading the S25 as I need to learn to hone my organization skills. I don't mind the compartments, as I have found that whether you use OPs or compartments, it's still something you must train yourself to become familiar/ comfortable.

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shared a few concern with OP @TSA - the zip and small.

Although I have yet to own a Synapse, neither 19 or 25, I know that S19 is really "small", yet I still holding a hope to one day to give it a try as I continuously hear amazing stories of its great ability to hold more stuff than its slim look. I think I might jump onboard this time, as a bright-Solar-alternative Canyon is available with either exterior Black or Olive.

I want a slim backpack like S19 but its too-small is still very concern me. I am 175cm or 5"8' Asian small/medium.
    What you all think? I don't think I would want a S25. If I want to carry more in S25 capacity, I will prefer my Smart Alec with its huge main compartment available for any possible packing arrangement and non-flat pack.

My favorite backpack are Smart Alec and A30. I find both perfect for my height and body proportionally. Not too lengthy and the width is just right. Smart Alec is my Go-To Backpack, shall I travel alone for 1-3 days or my EDC when I need to carry my 15" Windows Laptop. But I always like to find a small/slimmer backpack as EDC, with 13" Windows Laptop. I do have a daylight backpack. It carries my 13" Laptop very well and some other stuff. Definitely slim. But it could look very touristy hence I usually only use that bag as Day Bag when travel with my Wife. She will be the one backpacking it. I hope to find a more versatile slim Backpack like S19 for both Leisure and Business (Not Top Formal, something like Casual Conservative Business)

With Smart Alec retiring, I am contemplating myself to choose and spend wisely especially I will be doing some long-haul travel in the next 6 months (Will break the news later, when I got VISA approved). Should I spend on another SA (but a Halcyon version, which I don't have) to save one from possibly regret and/or also spend another to try on Synapse 19 retiring Canyon too? Also, I like Olive and Ballistic Verde. Do you all think I should get an Olive Ballistic 525 than black?

What you all think? Sorry, I could sound indecisive because I really couldn't make any decision. Hope to hear from you all. Any input is welcome Embarrassment
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post

With Smart Alec retiring, I am contemplating myself to choose and spend wisely especially I will be doing some long-haul travel in the next 6 months (Will break the news later, when I got VISA approved). Should I spend on another SA (but a Halcyon version, which I don't have) to save one from possibly regret and/or also spend another to try on Synapse 19 retiring Canyon too? Also, I like Olive and Ballistic Verde. Do you all think I should get an Olive Ballistic 525 than black?

What you all think? Sorry, I could sound indecisive because I really couldn't make any decision. Hope to hear from you all. Any input is welcome Embarrassment
    I have the black Synapse but wish I had the Olive. It's obviously a personal choice but I struggled with the same decision before buying mine. I chose black because it was my first TB bag and I was being cautious. Now I wish I had gotten the olive or grey. Black is still good though, but I think we all pretty much know what we're going to get when we choose black (the universal backpack color). I say give a different color a try and if you don't like it, you can always do a return. But for some people, the different colors actually make them feel even better about using the bag...it's part of the experience.

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noted, @alio.
    I get what you mean. I don't have 1000d Cordura Olive, but (if I am not wrong) @moriond's DLBC Olive really impressed me.

Do anyone know there is Grey 1000d with Island combo available before? It is another combo that I been following, before Canyon becomes available.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2