Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RFID Passport Pouch--Pocket Substitute?

Women's clothing disgusts me sometimes. It drives me crazy that the dressier pants I need to wear for work frequently come with tiny or non-existent pockets. I could write for hours on this subject!

But I digress. I have a convention approaching that I will need to work at. Because of my company's late scheduling practice, I will need to stay at a different hotel, which means I will need to bring my phone, ID, and money along with me. There really won't be space to store anything of value safely in the booth.

Unfortunately, my work pants do not come with working pockets. At all. And I will be on my feet for three solid days. I need to keep my essentials on me, but I can't sling a purse while I'm working the floor. Will the RFID pouch work to hold my iPhone 6+ with the other items, do you think? And if it does, can I access the phone unobtrusively? I haven't purchased one of these because I don't care for the sound or feel of Velcro, but I'm thinking it may come in handy for just this type of thing.

Thanks much!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd use a SE cross body, myself. The passport pouch is very flat and doesn't hold that much unless it's very flat and exactly the size of a passport.

The SE in black halcyon is very unobtrusive and lightweight, while still having enough room for anything you might need to keep on you.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RFID Passport Pouch--Pocket Substitute?

I have a 2 pocket Banjees wrist thingie that I keep my phone in. The 6+ fits in but the pocket it will be stretched a bit. You can put your ID and money in the zippered pocket.

One of the reviews on Amazon says that having an iPhone 6+ in it is like having a paperback book strapped to your wrist, but if it is only for this one use I would say this might fit the bill. No Velcro!

It is available other places but make sure you look at ones with both the phone pocket and the zippered pouch, not only the zippered pouch.

My own experience with it is that it doesn't breathe very well but when I am in a pocketless situation I am very grateful for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sprigs-SH-128.../dp/B019EDUSPU

ETA:
    2 Pocket Phone Banjees Wrist Wallet | Eddie Bauer

https://www.smartertravel.com/2013/0...-wrist-wallet/

A lot of people on QVC don't like it but I have a slim-average wrist so it fits me well and is a little loose but I prefer that to being tight.
    S/2 Big Banjees 2-Pocket Cell Phone Wrist Wallets by Sprigs - Page 1 ? QVC.com
    Last edited by Cristina; 04-10-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am infuriated that so many women's pants don't come with usable pockets.

The 3D Cube used to come in black parapack, but unfortunately it's not available now. I'd suggest wearing that as a waist pack or cross body if it were available.

If you are willing to go cross body, then based on what's available a SE might be the best choice.

American women in the 1700's used to wear "pockets" that were attached to a ribbon waist belt. These were worn under skirts - the skirts had a slit in them so you could reach in and access the pocket. I've considered trying to hack my pants to do this!

Maybe this is the time for one of those old school cell phone holsters that attach to the waist band of the pants?

I have this Pacsafe small purse that I've worn as a hip/waist pouch. I think it's fairly discrete, especially in black with black pants.
    Citysafe CS25 anti-theft cross body & hip purse | Pacsafe
    Last edited by K9TB; 04-10-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post

American women in the 1700's used to wear "pockets" that were attached to a ribbon waist belt. These were worn under skirts - the skirts had a slit in them so you could reach in and access the pocket. I've considered trying to hack my pants to do this!
    I read an academic article once on the rise of the use of pockets in women's wear through the history as linked to feminist ideals, but I can't remember where I sourced it. Never mind...just found it!

Here is the actual link: https://mic.com/articles/133948/the-...ets#.JoUzI8A48

I have also read articles about the mention of pockets throughout literature. As a woman and a fiber artist, I find it all incredibly interesting. I still wish I had working pockets. I care rather more about them than I do about the size of my posterior!

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "uniform" for the event will be khaki pants and a navy polo top, so I could maybe get away with using my Nordic SE, but I'm not certain. If I did, I'd have to use it "fanny pack" style because even a small amount of weight carried unevenly will throw me out of alignment if I do it for hours at a time. And I really dislike the fannypack look.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    I too am infuriated that so many women's pants don't come with usable pockets.

The 3D Cube used to come in black parapack, but unfortunately it's not available now. I'd suggest wearing that as a waist pack or cross body if it were available.
    [/url]
    I've previoiely mailed tom bihn cs and requested this item is reintroduced to the production schedule. If you miss this item too suggest you do the same as TB seem pretty receptive to these type of requests if enough people get on board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how unobtrusively you could access your phone, but maybe a runner's SPIbelt or similar brand would work under your (untucked) polo shirt. I've used one as a $ belt under shirts and they are pretty flat and streamlined.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Not only do I require pockets, I want them to zip shut or at least button.

While I am not sure if the iPhone 6+ fits in the Passport Pouch, I wore my iPhone 3g there for a few days. The Passport Pouch RFID feature completely blocks all phone signals.

If you need to use the phone to receive calls and texts during the day, could you use an Organizer Pouch or a Double Organizer Pouch and hang it on a lanyard? Hope you find a great solution! elisa

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,

If you need to use the phone to receive calls and texts during the day, could you use an Organizer Pouch or a Double Organizer Pouch and hang it on a lanyard? Hope you find a great solution! elisa
    That's a great idea! I'll see what I can find in my TB stash and give it a test drive. Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also a neck wallet like this one, which has a clear pocket for an ID (I was thinking like the kind you get at a conference):

Bags for Less Travel Neck Wallet Passport Badge Holder, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0058DPW..._ipj7ybRZ2XFWJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Women's clothing disgusts me sometimes. It drives me crazy that the dressier pants I need to wear for work frequently come with tiny or non-existent pockets. I could write for hours on this subject!
    I am right there with you! I most off all dislike when my male collegues ask what all I have to carry that makes me need a purse, whilst stuffing their pockets with keys, walltes, sunglasses, tissues.... Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

A long time ago I bought a small, very unobtrusive, waxed canvas pouch with a thin leather crossbody strap, much like this one (mine is smaller and was cheaper, but there are so many different ones out there): https://www.etsy.com/listing/2670043...?ref=related-1. I bought it for a very similar purpose to yours and have found it very useful. (Also - if I remove the shoulderstrap it's just a pouch with... gasp.... o-rings... Cool).

My friend who works a lot of conventions and have a bag addiction similar to mine loves her tiny waterfield bag: https://www.sfbags.com/collections/i...by-iphone-case

That being said - I'd use the SE with the crossbody strap Big Grin

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the early 1970s, I had a small square suede "purse" with long fringe (of course) that hung off my belt by two thick belt loops. It was the extra pocket space I needed for my money and an ID. No cell phones back then, but it would have held one.

Years later there was a designer who made nice looking small purses that hung off your belt in a similar manner. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy one. They were so hands free and did NOT look like a fanny pack. Their only disadvantage was you had to wear a belt because there was no other type of carrying strap.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you want to spend the money or wear a jacket but here is an idea. It is a jacket with 23 pockets for women. It is called a scottevest. https://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/...et_Women.shtml

MA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not buy a pair of men's pants that would fit you for situations lie this? It seems that this may not be an unusual situation for you to be in and if you're more interested in function that appearance men's clothing would do the trick. I know a number of women who find men's pants not only more functional but also more comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast