Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    South of France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that when I first saw this post from Darcy in april I almost had to cry because I had JUST bought my A30 (after an easy 2 years of hesitating) and the one thing that I was hoping became true: lockable zips (which to my point of view was really really missing). So I have now an old version of the A30 with no lockable zips, unfortunately. So un-happy that I did not come back to the forum until today

This being said, I have used my A30 a couple of time already for WE and it is really PERFECT for WE trips and a good replacement of my S25 when no walking/public transport are involved, although I found it more heavy than expected. Maybe an excuse to go at some point for an Halcyon version...with lockable zips

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melhoune View Post
    I have to admit that when I first saw this post from Darcy in april I almost had to cry because I had JUST bought my A30 (after an easy 2 years of hesitating) and the one thing that I was hoping became true: lockable zips (which to my point of view was really really missing). So I have now an old version of the A30 with no lockable zips, unfortunately. So un-happy that I did not come back to the forum until today

This being said, I have used my A30 a couple of time already for WE and it is really PERFECT for WE trips and a good replacement of my S25 when no walking/public transport are involved, although I found it more heavy than expected. Maybe an excuse to go at some point for an Halcyon version...with lockable zips
    I'm glad you're back, melhoune. And I feel for you! I think about that very possibility (that some folks might miss out) every time we're about to introduce something new. Actually, one of the reasons we introduced the updated Aeronauts when we did was because we wanted to announce the news / put them out into the world as soon as we realistically could in an effort to minimize that. I'm sorry the timing didn't work out for your purchase. But I'm glad the A30 is proving to be a good size for your trips.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lockable zips are one of the few downfalls of the earlier versions.

@darcy -- Every travel bag should have them, even if not being checked.

Travel on trains often means your bags are out of your hands on a rack for hours on end, with public access for that entire period. Tom Bihn bags definitely stand out visually, likely making them a "more interesting" target for any unscrupulous persons trying to decide which bag might contain something "interesting" just inside. For me, dropping a luggage lock (color coordinated, of course ) on every zipper with something behind it is routine practice. Having to use the pulls on the sliders is far from ideal.

A couple of related thoughts based on how I use my Cadet. First, I occasionally lock it. Second, the front pocket has become the perfect "lock pocket" for me. There's always two or more travel locks in there. I know, I could use a Mini Organizer Pouch for locks, but that's yet another thing dangling around in the bag, or possible to get lost. Using the slash pocket on the Cadet means they're always there, as well as not having to open the main compartment to fish them out. The slash pockets on the Aeronauts are too deep for this, and getting into the mesh pocket inside the main compartment means I have to open up my tightly packed A30 and risk spilling contents.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6