Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut, Parental Unit, and Sprout Design Updates Coming Soon!

We'll be having some mini debuts of sorts this month (April) and in early May that focus on updates on current designs (you know us -- we can't leave good enough alone!)

And there's also going to be a mini surprise debuting between now and early May as well. It's not a pouch.... it's not even something we make ourselves! And I bet you can't guess what it is. And I'm not even going to hint. Not at least for a couple more weeks....

Note: any colors of Aeronaut 45, Aeronaut 30, Sprout, or Parental Unit that are currently listed as "In Production" on the website will have the design updates listed below; colors listed as "Available" are bags that are already made / don't have the new design updates. We expect the "In Production" bags to ship sometime between late April and early May, depending on the design.

Parental Unit

See this thread for the scoop on the Parental Unit design updates.

Sprout

Just one minor design update for the Sprout: we're making it a teeny bit bigger so that it'll fit U.S. Standard paper and notebooks.

Aeronaut 45 and Aeronaut 30

The next batches of the Aeronaut 45 and Aeronaut 30 will have a couple of new features and a few materials updates.

• We've changed the #10 zipper sliders on the main compartment and both end compartments of the Aeronauts to be the same #10 YKK Aquaguard Coil Zippers with lockable sliders found on the Hero's Journey -- you can now easily add a luggage lock to any or all of these compartments. You might want to do this to add some security when your Aeronaut is unattended or out of sight. For example: leaving it with a concierge, walking with it on your back in crowds, or checking it with the airline. We recommend any of the commonly available TSA certified luggage locks. Don't ever lock your bag? Es bueno -- simply don't use this feature.

• The diagonal end pocket zippers now feature #8 zippers, which are a bit easier to open and close than the #10 zippers. Nice when you're trying to access those pockets when your Aeronaut is wedged into an overhead bin or under a seat. They're still water repellant AquaGuard zippers, so we've got you covered.

• We added two simple webbing loop handles that are accessible only when the main hatch is unzipped. Tom noticed he wanted grab handles when moving his Aeronaut around while packing it. They drop to the inside and are only there when you need them. Tom says you'll definitely appreciate the handles.

• The back panel foam padding is now 3/8" / 10mm thick (it was originally 1/4" / 6mm): this will provide you a bit more comfort if you've any pokey items in your Aeronaut. The additional thickness also translates into a tad more vertical stability/rigidity -- it's not an internal frame, but will provide a more comfortable carry when carried as a backpack. The foam wraps around the bottom a bit more as well, which yet again adds a bit more comfort when it's on your back. It also is removable/swappable (thanks to a zipper hidden inside the lining) so you can replace it if it ever gets creased or crushed (unlikely, but foam can age over time with lots of heavy use), and/or remove it entirely if you don't find you need it and want to save the weight/bulk.

• Finally, the short zippers that create and define the interior compartments are now molded tooth Vislon rather than coil. You'll find they are a bit easier to zip and unzip, in case you do that sort of thing much.

Questions? Just ask
    Last edited by Darcy; 04-14-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We added two simple webbing loop handles that are accessible only when the main hatch is unzipped. Tom noticed he wanted grab handles when moving his Aeronaut around while packing it. They drop to the inside and are only there when you need them. Tom says you'll definitely appreciate the handles."

That's genius and something I wanted!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

Sprout

Just one minor design update for the Sprout: we're making it a teeny bit bigger so that it'll fit U.S. Standard paper and notebooks.
    Hooray! That is a major pet peeve of mine in children's backpacks, when I can't get folders inside. Will the new Sprout fit A4 folders and notebooks? A4 is slightly longer and narrower than US letter.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In earlier hints on the Muse, you said there would be new sizes in a familiar accessory in an April debut. Is this still happening? And will there be any new colours?
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there's also going to be a mini surprise. It's not a pouch.... it's not even something we make ourselves! And I bet you can't guess what it is. And I'm not even going to hint. Not at least for a couple more weeks....
    I am so certain that I know what this is I'm not even going to post my guess, because I don't want to spoil @Darcy s fun ..... I have, however, lodged my idea with an independent adjudicator

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hat? (entry too short) A hat?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay updates!

@Darcy "Been hoping for a small capacity adult backpack? The Sprout's likely not for you: the shoulder straps are well sized for kids ages 4 - 8 years old, but not so much for grown-ups. We are hoping to introduce a small-sized backpack to fit adults sometime in 2016 or 2017. Don't make sandwiches and wait by your computer – this design is still in the very early stages." Last line from Sprout item description. Muse perhaps?!?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My (tongue in cheek) guess for the small new product that they don't make themselves: TB themed cookies! Like animal crackers but with airplanes and stuff instead.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for the ones which are currently in stock, how will we know when the stock switches over to the new updated ones?

Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this about Tom Bihn. Continuing to perfect already perfect products! Might have to pick up one of the updated Aeronauts...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbladen View Post
    So for the ones which are currently in stock, how will we know when the stock switches over to the new updated ones?
    I second this... I'd like a black/nws a30. Will I need to wait until all of the existing a30s in this combo are sold before I can order one of the updated a30?
    Last edited by Mathew; 04-11-2017 at 01:12 PM.

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Hooray! That is a major pet peeve of mine in children's backpacks, when I can't get folders inside. Will the new Sprout fit A4 folders and notebooks? A4 is slightly longer and narrower than US letter.
    Good question. The new Sprout will fit A4 papers and, though it might be a little tight, notebooks and file folders as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    That's genius and something I wanted!
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    In earlier hints on the Muse, you said there would be new sizes in a familiar accessory in an April debut. Is this still happening? And will there be any new colours?
    That'll be part of the June debut after all (along with the Muse and another new bag).

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    A hat? (entry too short) A hat?
    Not yet....

Quote Originally Posted by fae925 View Post
    @Darcy "Been hoping for a small capacity adult backpack? The Sprout's likely not for you: the shoulder straps are well sized for kids ages 4 - 8 years old, but not so much for grown-ups. We are hoping to introduce a small-sized backpack to fit adults sometime in 2016 or 2017. Don't make sandwiches and wait by your computer – this design is still in the very early stages." Last line from Sprout item description. Muse perhaps?!?
    That paragraph was indeed hinting at the Muse! And I've just updated it to say:

Been hoping for a small capacity adult backpack? The Sprout's likely not for you: the shoulder straps are well sized for kids ages 4 - 8 years old, but not so much for grown-ups. We're planning to introduce a small-sized backpack to fit adults sometime in June 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbladen View Post
    We'll announce that! The Sprout change is so minor that it's not likely to get any new photos (besides one showing that it can indeed fit notebooks and papers!) but the Parental Unit and Aeronaut 45 and 30 will have all new photos showing off the new features and changes.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Aeronaut, Parental Unit, and Sprout Design Updates Coming Soon!

Good question. The new Sprout will fit A4 papers and, though it might be a little tight, notebooks and file folders as well.

We'll announce that! The Sprout change is so minor that it's not likely to get any new photos (besides one showing that it can indeed fit notebooks and papers!) but the Parental Unit and Aeronaut 45 and 30 will have all new photos showing off the new features and changes.
    Darcy, will there be new colors of the Sprout if it is being made in a new size? It originally debuted in lovely colors like Aubergine/Steel and Navy/Wasabi (among) others, and more bright color options have been requested since December (see my post #829 in reply to @TRD's request in the Discussion of New Colors, New Designs thread, for example)

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Darcy, will there be new colors of the Sprout if it is being made in a new size?
    Good question, and the answer is yes. Here's the colors that we'll be making the new batch of Sprouts in:

Aubergine/Wasabi
    Aubergine/Northwest Sky
    Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet
    Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi
    Verde/Northwest Sky
    Navy/Wasabi

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, are all the Aeronaut colors currently listed as 'in production' going to have these updates? And are those all the colors that will be in this release?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast