Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PCSB external pocket inset

I love my Nordic PCSB as a personal item on flight and day bag while on holiday. During my month long trip to the Far East, I was constantly annoyed by how items in the external pocket grouped together in a bunch at one end of the bag. That is probably due to lack of organisation in that pocket and how floppy Dyneema is. In preparation for my next trip, I made an inset using a cut out from an old plastic folder and some cloth.

PCSB external pocket inset-img_0321-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! Did you sew the cloth onto the folder with a machine? Do you have a picture of the insert by itself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have difficulty uploading the second photo of the insert itself. I did not sew onto the plastic. Here's how I did it:
    1. Measured and Cut the plastic sheet to size (slightly smaller than the PCSB), test and ensure that the plastic can go into and sit flat in the pocket.
    2. Measured and cut the colourful cloth big enough to cover the whole plastic (plus enough for seam)
    3. Measured and cut white cloth to make the pockets. I made the pockets with the same angle as the zip and sit just 5mm below along the zip.
    4. Machine Sewed the pockets to the colourful cloth.
    5. Machine Sewed the colourful cloth on 3 sides, slip in the plastic folder and sewed the fourth side.

I hope this helps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a wonderful idea!

Thank you for sharing the picture and the process, this is a beautiful and inventive solution!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooooo, you just invented the SK Freudian Slip!!!

Great idea.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    This is an excellent idea! It's just the solution I've been looking for. Thank you very much for sharing! elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So simple yet so well done!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCSB external pocket inset-img_0322-png

Worked like a champ on my short break in Nottingham. My PCSB with Robin Hood bronze statue just outside Nottingham Castle.

PCSB external pocket inset-img_3136-jpg

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the photos of the SK slip out of the bag and with Robin Hood.

I thought that was a wee little garden troll behind Robin's knee. Whoops. The dangers of perspective.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sharkh, thank you so much for this idea! I decided to make one myself, and finally got around to it yesterday. I'm so happy with how it turned out!

I didn't have a convenient plastic folder, so I stiffened it with a double layer of thin craft foam instead. I put different pockets on each side, so if it's in the front pocket of the PCSB I can choose which pocket arrangement I want to use, or I can put it in the main section of the PCSB and use the pockets on both sides. (Shown with miscellaneous stuff in the pockets, to show that some of the pockets are bellowed while others are flat.)

(In case it's useful to anyone else making one: I cut the pocket fabric to 1.5" wider than the background fabric. After I turned down the top of the pocket fabric and sewed it, I sewed the sides of the pocket fabric & backing fabric together, and played with the excess fabric in the middle to decide how wide to make the pockets and which pockets to make flat vs how much excess fabric to leave in other pockets.)

PCSB external pocket inset-pcsb-fs-befunky-collage-jpg
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...I vote for this to be a new Tom Bihn accessory. I love the PCSB and by adding a FS it would become the perfect day bag for me.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too love the packing cube shoulder bag!
    Just wish it was still available in Monarch.

I have the wasabi colour and on a recent holiday, my husband hijacked it for his in-flight bag and also as a daily bag to fit his kindle etc.

It would be great if it was just a little wider to fit the new iPAD Pro.

I love the bright halcyon colours - just wish the PCSB was available in more colours.

I live in London and was looking for to get the Iberian and Monarch.
    I'm devasted that Monarch is now retired - it's such a pretty colour!

Only the wasabi and UV is available and I already have the wasabli.
    Last edited by London Eye; 08-27-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea for a slip to help give more organisation options to the bag.

I remember another post a while ago suggesting a medium double organiser pouch also being a perfect size for the front pocket to add extra organisation and stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)