1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com
 
Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Forum Member NYCWriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    44
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2017, I would hope that we wouldn't be so rigid in assigning colors by gender, but I do understand guys not necessarily wanting to display "loud" colors.

    That said, I'm a huge proponent of the school of thought of life being way too short to allow artificial social constructs keeping us from life's simple pleasures that make us happy -- like color.

    For instance, for decades I stuck with muted tones and subtle "masculine" patterns for my bedding. But something really clicks inside you after you turn 40 and you start staring mortality in the face as you witness the departure of friends and relatives your age -- and even younger.

    So you know what? I LIKE florals! Big splashy ones!! I don't care anymore if it makes my bed look "feminine"! Flowers make me happy and I like seeing them on my sheets when I first wake up and before I drop off to sleep.

    I also like pink in my bathroom. So there!

  2. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    32
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    In 2017, I would hope that we wouldn't be so rigid in assigning colors by gender, but I do understand guys not necessarily wanting to display "loud" colors.

    That said, I'm a huge proponent of the school of thought of life being way too short to allow artificial social constructs keeping us from life's simple pleasures that make us happy -- like color.

    For instance, for decades I stuck with muted tones and subtle "masculine" patterns for my bedding. But something really clicks inside you after you turn 40 and you start staring mortality in the face as you witness the departure of friends and relatives your age -- and even younger.

    So you know what? I LIKE florals! Big splashy ones!! I don't care anymore if it makes my bed look "feminine"! Flowers make me happy and I like seeing them on my sheets when I first wake up and before I drop off to sleep.

    I also like pink in my bathroom. So there!
    The thread wasn't supposed to be taken as serious as that my friend. In 2017 the world is actually worse :-D but joking aside I love bright colors and I dress quite colorful even though friends and occasionally my wife will tease me. I know I'm going to be quite happy with my UV interior bag. Nothing wrong with flowers :-D post a pic with some bags on it so we can drool lol

  3. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    90
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I agree with @Mausermama - buy what color you like as they are unisex !!
    I also think @bchaplin's advice is good - the exterior color is what matters the most. As others have mentioned the interior color is not seen unless you open the bag and it is more for your use to see things better.

    Royalty uses purple. People wear purple because it matches their favorite sports team or campus colors. Here is a picture of my SA (Iberian inside) with a UV cord which really accents a black bag well IMHO:



    As a man as well, I would say it is a personal preference. In my experience, people think things are more "masculine" or "feminine" because they just have seen more people with other colors and not this one. As a side note, coming from Canada where Black / Gray is the color of choice you usually see, I found it interesting that people got more and more "colorful" as I went south to Florida to the point where I was sticking out with my mostly Black / Gray wardrobe.

    Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    I really like the look of the paracord around the bag. Does anyone know how you attach it at the bottom?
    S19 Cloud/Dawn; S25 Olive/Northwest Sky, Nordic Halycon/Wasabi & Steel Dyneema/Ultraviolet; GE S25 Deep Blue/Coyote; BB Mars Red/Canyon; SA Verde/Ultraviolet, Black Halycon/Island, Nordic Halycon/Wasabi & Steel Dyneema/Steel; A30 Navy/Zest; A45 Aubergine/Island & Nordic Halycon/Steel; MCB Mars Red/Dawn and Black Halycon/Wasabi

  4. #19
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,961
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMcG View Post
    I really like the look of the paracord around the bag. Does anyone know how you attach it at the bottom?
    @RichardMcG,

    If you like the UV cord accent on the outside of the Black Smart Alec shown by @tpnl, you might like to see the Glowire kit that Tom Bihn originally sold for the Smart Alec. Here's one of the pictures, excerpted from the April 2, 2013 Blog Post:

    Manly color choices vs Feminine choices-glowire2-jpg

    The May 13, 2013 Blog Post on the Smart Alec featured a video of a user riding a motorcycle:

    Manly color choices vs Feminine choices-glowire1-jpg

    Here's the embedded YouTube video:




    While, Tom Bihn no longer sells the Glowire Kit, you can still order it online, seeL What happened to the Glowire? thread, where @Miking posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    If TB isn't carrying the Glowire anymore you can always go to the source and get it from there: 3 Volt 5' Plug & PLay - Glowire
    Aqua, Lime, and Yellow (the original colors TB offered) were among the brightest colors in the product line-up. Aqua looks very nice against both Aubergine and Black (also the New Black Halcyon), but the luminescent dye does wear out over time.

    HTH

    moriond

  5. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    90
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @RichardMcG,

    If you like the UV cord accent on the outside of the Black Smart Alec shown by @tpnl, you might like to see the Glowire kit that Tom Bihn originally sold for the Smart Alec. Here's one of the pictures, excerpted from the April 2, 2013 Blog Post:


    Manly color choices vs Feminine choices-glowire2-jpg

    The May 13, 2013 Blog Post on the Smart Alec featured a video of a user riding a motorcycle:

    Manly color choices vs Feminine choices-glowire1-jpg

    Here's the embedded YouTube video:




    While, Tom Bihn no longer sells the Glowire Kit, you can still order it online, seeL What happened to the Glowire? thread, where @Miking posted:


    Aqua, Lime, and Yellow (the original colors TB offered) were among the brightest colors in the product line-up. Aqua looks very nice against both Aubergine and Black (also the New Black Halcyon), but the luminescent dye does wear out over time.

    HTH

    moriond
    @moriond You are an absolute rock star! You ALWAYS know the answer. Thank you! I wonder if there are any directions anywhere on how to actually attach it after you have threaded it through the loops?
    S19 Cloud/Dawn; S25 Olive/Northwest Sky, Nordic Halycon/Wasabi & Steel Dyneema/Ultraviolet; GE S25 Deep Blue/Coyote; BB Mars Red/Canyon; SA Verde/Ultraviolet, Black Halycon/Island, Nordic Halycon/Wasabi & Steel Dyneema/Steel; A30 Navy/Zest; A45 Aubergine/Island & Nordic Halycon/Steel; MCB Mars Red/Dawn and Black Halycon/Wasabi

  6. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    44
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMcG View Post
    @moriond You are an absolute rock star! You ALWAYS know the answer. Thank you! I wonder if there are any directions anywhere on how to actually attach it after you have threaded it through the loops?
    It goes through the grommets (drain holes) in the bottom of each side pocket. If it's glowire and not just paracord or string, you would also have to stash the battery pack inside one of the pockets.

  7. #22
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,961
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMcG View Post
    @moriond You are an absolute rock star! You ALWAYS know the answer. Thank you! I wonder if there are any directions anywhere on how to actually attach it after you have threaded it through the loops?
    With the Glowire Kit, there is a length of darker wire (that does not light up) that connects to the Black plastic battery case that holds the two AA batteries (you can flip the switch on, and stow the battery case in the Smart Alec side pocket).

    moriond

    ETA: to add to @Fluff's description, take a look at the Smart Alec front view image and note the position of the two grommets to either side of the colored front panel at the base of the bag:
    Last edited by moriond; 09-09-2017 at 08:47 AM.

  8. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    27
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a great POP and not effeminate at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •