Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not having a zippered top on the Makers Bag is bothering me!

Like the title says, the Makers Bag not having a zippered top is really bothering me. When I'm in public it is just to easy for someone to reach in the bag. I'm a large guy thats why I like the messenger bag style, I am considering switching to the parental unit as an EDC. Would that be weird? Using the parental unit as my EDC? My concerned is if I can fit my MBP 13" in the bag. I've tried the pilot and it is just not to my liking. I really like messenger bags but I may have to go to the Syn. 25. Any opinions?

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One option is wait to see what the Muse is?

Using a parental unit as an EDC, wouldn't be weird at all. It definitely does not read as "diaper bag" at all.
    Not sure if your laptop would fit though, I don't have the PU so maybe someone else can tell you.

Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the PU debuted, @taminca did a thorough walk through and she was able to fit her 13" MBP into it. Two things to note about the recent PU design updates: the zip now goes across the entire width of the opening so you would not have to tilt the laptop at an angle to fit it inside, and the base of the bag is now wider which may help with the "snugness" @taminca talked about.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I also prefer a zippered top. It feels more secure not only from pick pockets, but from items falling out when the bag falls over. Last week I set the bag on the back seat of the car. When I stopped suddenly, everything on the back seat fell on the floor. The Maker's Bag was upside down. The clasp was still secure, but the gap on the sides let a few items slip out.

Despite the lack of zipper, I love the Maker's Bag. It keeps me organized on the go and stands up beautifully as a music bag or a knitting bag. I've put another one on my wish list. elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my first Cafe Bag and Swift, I was concerned by the same occurrence.

Using O-rings, Key Straps and Organizer Pouches helps alleviate any possible effects, of an upside down Cafe or, Maker bag.

A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (11.75" x 7.75" x 3" / 300 x 200 x 80 mm) , makes a perfect zipper compartment for the Swift and should fit the Maker Bag (13.6" x 10.0" x 6.9" / 345 x 255 x 175 mm).

The triangle ring on each side of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag can be linked to the O-rings on each side of the Maker Bag, as it the case for the Swift.

Reasons can be found to buy Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in many colors, such as one for each hobby, one for EDC carry...
    Last edited by backpack; 04-30-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my large cafe bag, especially together with the freudian slip, but the lack of zipper bothered me at first too, since the FS would slide around and sometimes fall out. I ended up putting velcro tape at the bottom of the bag and the bottom edge of the FS, and now it's secure, but I can always remove it if necessary. That and making use of the o rings have really made me love this bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the sound of this, being new to TB world, how would I connect the shoulder bag to the inside of the MB? Seems like using even the shortest of key rings the shoulder bag would still be very loose. Any suggestion on what I should use? Or am I missing the point entirely?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great idea, I'm ordered the FS and it is supposed to be hear tomorrow. I will definitely look at that. Thanks for the suggestion. Why docent TB just make a zippered top, it just seems to make sense.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re: why no zippered top - I would suggest that one of the reasons would be because people who use it to knit might get their knitting stuck on a zipper.

I definitely like all the ideas in this thread. One additional one of the get an 8" key strap and connect each end to the O-Rings on each side of the Maker's Bag. This prevents the bag from loosing too much shape but adds tension to the top so it is not as "open".

Also, use the O-Ring / Pouch system so everything is attached and harder to take by thieves who may not be expecting this.

Alternately, you could get a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB) which is zippered and put in the Maker's Bag (MB) as a linking. Attach a key strap so it is not easy to pull away - presto - makeshift zippered interior. You could also velcro the PCSB to the bottom of the MB. It would be like having another divided compartment in your bag that is safer from thieves because of the zipper.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I saw a thread that indicated Tom was designing something called a "work bag" that was messenger-styled but zippered instead of flapped. I wonder if it will be released in June (?) along with the Muse.
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    When I got my first Cafe Bag and Swift, I was concerned by the same occurrence.

Using O-rings, Key Straps and Organizer Pouches helps alleviate any possible effects, of an upside down Cafe or, Maker bag.

A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (11.75" x 7.75" x 3" / 300 x 200 x 80 mm) , makes a perfect zipper compartment for the Swift and should fit the Maker Bag (13.6" x 10.0" x 6.9" / 345 x 255 x 175 mm).

I also tried to tether things, but for me, it was more a mental concern because a pickpocket wouldn't know that everything was tethered, so I felt like the nonzipper top was just inviting temptation.

For me, my EDC shifts depending on what I'm doing, but it goes between the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (my general go-to), Daylight Briefcase (when I need to carry my Surface Pro with me), and periodically the Side Kick when I'm going really light (maybe out for dinner).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I also tried to tether things, but for me, it was more a mental concern because a pickpocket wouldn't know that everything was tethered, so I felt like the nonzipper top was just inviting temptation.

For me, my EDC shifts depending on what I'm doing, but it goes between the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (my general go-to), Daylight Briefcase (when I need to carry my Surface Pro with me), and periodically the Side Kick when I'm going really light (maybe out for dinner).
    I understand you, after reading your first post about the PCSB as an EDC, I tried to use it in the same manner, but it was an unmitigated disaster. After just one brief outing, I promptly repacked my SCB which, to this day, holds first place as an EDC .

The Daylight Briefcase is yummy, just the ideal minimalist briefcase.

The SE is my glasses case or camera case. Perfect fit for the gear, beautiful, easy to place in a Small or Large SB or S19.
    I realize that I need a certain amount of organization and non floppiness in anything larger than a 3DOC.

But, the PCSB is also my favorite marsupial bag inside Swifts used as purse and Packing Cube inside TB Travel Bags.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-24-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a Pilot? Might work well for you with your computer, and has lot of built-in storage and zippers.

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I understand you, after reading your first post about the PCSB as an EDC, I tried to use it in the same manner, but it was an unmitigated disaster. After just one brief outing, I promptly repacked my SCB which, to this day, holds first place as an EDC .

[...]

But, the PCSB is also my favorite marsupial bag inside Swifts used as purse and Packing Cube inside TB Travel Bags.
    Sorry to hear the PCSB couldn't work as an EDC for you. These day I often tuck it inside my gym bag so, like you, I use it as a bag-in-bag--and then take it out and clip on the shoulder straps for when I want to use it as a purse.