Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody with a Synapse 19 in Singapore?

Hi guys, I live in Malaysia and haven't been able to find any friends who have a Synapse 19. Am quite keen to buy one, but am a little concerned about:
    - Size. Not actually sure if S19 or S25 is the right size for me. My height is 172cm/5 feet 6.
    - The shoulder strap placing. I've been reading some reports about the change in shaping affecting some folks, and I don't have very broad shoulders.

Costs about 1/3 the price of bag to ship to Malaysia, so I was wondering if someone in Singapore has an S19 and is willing to meet up to let me check it out? I'll be in Singapore 12-14 May. That would be a great help.

I currently have a GoRuck Echo (great for light daypack), and Cote et Ciel large Isar (a little large for daily use). So maybe something in between might be good, then I can stuff a little more stuff in it.

Plan to carry daily:
    - Macbook pro 13
    - Power bank
    - Macbook pro charger
    - Some small items
    - Small water bottle
    - A folder of papers/forms
    - A few small nick nacks.

Thanks!

PS: If anybody in Malaysia has a S19, I can meet up too. I live in Subang.
    Last edited by chungliwen; 05-09-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Forum Member
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm in Bangkok and recently bought an S19. I definitely understand the concerns on the incremental shipping and import duties/sales taxes by ordering it from the US. I'm not going to Singapore in the near future but have had the opportunity to use the EDC as my everyday work bag and for extended trips to India and China. While I very much love the S19 bag in hindsight, for the extra $10 in cost, I should have got the S25. I carried the exact same stuff you mentioned (my laptop is slightly larger) plus my passport and iPad pro in the S19. It all worked but was a tight fit.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ursojs View Post
    Hi,

I'm in Bangkok and recently bought an S19. I definitely understand the concerns on the incremental shipping and import duties/sales taxes by ordering it from the US. I'm not going to Singapore in the near future but have had the opportunity to use the EDC as my everyday work bag and for extended trips to India and China. While I very much love the S19 bag in hindsight, for the extra $10 in cost, I should have got the S25. I carried the exact same stuff you mentioned (my laptop is slightly larger) plus my passport and iPad pro in the S19. It all worked but was a tight fit.
    Hi, thanks for the feedback. I totally know what you mean. That $10 price difference is also something that's on my mind. I totally wouldn't mind paying the extra $10 for the more suitable one, but it's hard for me to figure out which is the right size. I'm leaning more towards the S19 at the moment, as my Cote et Ciel is pretty large and holds a lot of stuff, so I have that for the 4-5 day trips. I'm considering the S19 more of an EDC bag. Replace your iPad pro with my (bulky) folder of forms, and we probably have the same amount of stuff in the backpack. Maybe I should post some pictures of my GoRuck with my stuff in it when I'm home.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some of the things I bring around on a daily basis. It already fits my Echo, but in an ideal world, I'd like a little more space, so the bag doesn't feel so full, and I can throw in a few extra things when needed.

Anybody with a Synapse 19 in Singapore?-2017-05-11-00-57-43-jpgAnybody with a Synapse 19 in Singapore?-2017-05-11-00-55-32-jpgAnybody with a Synapse 19 in Singapore?-2017-05-11-00-57-20-jpg

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at your current bag and your requirements for a new purchase I think you need to seriously consider a S25 over the S19.

The GoRuck Echo is rated as a 16-liter bag but the entire capacity is in the main compartment. On the Synapse 19, a little more than half of the 19-liter rated capacity is the main compartment and the rest of the capacity is in the outer pockets. Since the majority of volume taken up in your Echo is of large things that would only fit in the Synapse main compartment, the Synapse 19 would likely be on the small side for you.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 19 would be OK. It's got 3L more volume than your current bag; plus, the outer pockets can hold things that you're carrying in your bag's main compartment, freeing up room for the folders. For example, a MacBook charger plus long cord fits really well in the 19's bottom pocket.

Something else to think about: the S25 could probably replace both of the bags you are using now. It's an understated and highly functional multi-purpose bag—I use mine both for EDC and travel of up to about a week. Once again, those outer pockets leaves plenty of room in the main compartment for clothing, your laptop, and other stuff. The tapered design gives it a low profile and I do not think it would overwhelm a person of your height. It also doesn't look bad if it's under-packed. To make the 25 a bit more useful for your particular EDC items, a Freudian Slip would keep the folders from sliding to the bottom of the bag and give you somewhere in the main compartment for your power bank and pencil (?) case.

HTH!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @carrot and @Badger for the comments. That's great feedback.

I do agree that it might be better to get a S25 over S19. Something to think about I guess. It's also great to know that the 19L (or 25L) measurement is based on the main compartment. That does mean that the actual capacity of the bag once you factor in the other compartments is more than 19/25. Which is great.

I just did some checking on the height measurements of the various bags and my comments on the two I have.
    GoRuck echo 16 = 16.5" - is a tad too short. I'm not tall, but the GoRuck is generally worn higher, so it sometimes makes me look a little like a schoolboy.
    Cote et Ciel Isar Large = about 25-26" (Found online, may not be too accurate, I'll re-check when I'm home). It's actually a little long. Extends slightly below my belt. Really huge storage space as a result I guess.
    S19 = 16"
    S25 = 20"

I've looked at this video a few times, and I'm guessing the 5'6" Alison is closest to me (5'7"). The S25 does look a little large on her.

I do get the feeling that my conclusion is that I'm going to need to try both of them, though. Probably it's like watches, where some "wear big/wear small", and the dimensions aren't the only thing to look at when sizing. Frown

Maybe I could try waiting for my aunt in the US to come over, then I could order both and return one, I hear that's acceptable practice for online purchases.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chungliwen View Post
    I do agree that it might be better to get a S25 over S19. Something to think about I guess. It's also great to know that the 19L (or 25L) measurement is based on the main compartment. That does mean that the actual capacity of the bag once you factor in the other compartments is more than 19/25. Which is great.
    Sorry for the confusion. The S19's main compartment is, to my estimation, about 12-14 liters with the pockets taking the additional capacity of the total 19 liters. It is a small bag, no doubt about it.

However, it is exactly the right size if you want or need to keep it light, with plenty of organization for gadgets.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I would like to ask if anyone in Singapore have both the Synapse 25 and Synik 30 that I can try in person?

Placed a pre-order for the GE Synik 30 but still have some reservations on the size.
    Please let me know if you do and don't mind sparing some time for me to view and try the bags!

Singapore - the Lion City
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TKC , I live in Sg but I don't have S25/SN30 atm. I pre-ordered SN30GE also, been checking forums every day as a symptom of TB Anticipation Syndrome, hahaha
    Last edited by asding.fs; 03-04-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKC View Post
    Hi

I would like to ask if anyone in Singapore have both the Synapse 25 and Synik 30 that I can try in person?
    Quote Originally Posted by asding.fs View Post
    @TKC , I live in Sg but I don't have S25/SN30 atm. I pre-ordered SN30GE also, been checking forums every day as a symptom of TB Anticipation Syndrome, hahaha
    @TKC , @asding.fs - Welcome to the Forums both of you Smilie

Hope you get to see some bags in person before ordering.... if not, hopefully these Forums will help and please ask any specific questions you have!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    @TKC , @asding.fs - Welcome to the Forums both of you Smilie

Hope you get to see some bags in person before ordering.... if not, hopefully these Forums will help and please ask any specific questions you have!
    Thanks for the welcome G42.
    Have been a silent lurker for the past 3 years.

I have went thru most of the posts on S25 and SN30. I prefer the larger capacity of SN30 but concerned over the weight.
    S25 is much lighter but does not have the structural rigidity of SN30. Hence the dilemma. Have tried many backpacks over the years but just cannot find the one.

Ordered the SN30 eventually as I hope the new edgeless strap will cushion the additional weight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asding.fs View Post
    me too! which colour did you order? i ordered the Ursa

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKC View Post
    Thanks for the welcome G42.
    Have been a silent lurker for the past 3 years.

I have went thru most of the posts on S25 and SN30. I prefer the larger capacity of SN30 but concerned over the weight.
    S25 is much lighter but does not have the structural rigidity of SN30. Hence the dilemma. Have tried many backpacks over the years but just cannot find the one.

Ordered the SN30 eventually as I hope the new edgeless strap will cushion the additional weight.
    Glad you delurked Smilie

I'm too short for the Synapse 25/Synik 30s to fit comfortably, but I like the Synapse 19/Synik 22s. For me, the Synapse 19 with the optional frame is pretty similar in rigidity to the Synik 22... the thing I notice more is that the ballistic (when new & stiff) is more rigid than the halcyons.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Glad you delurked Smilie

I'm too short for the Synapse 25/Synik 30s to fit comfortably, but I like the Synapse 19/Synik 22s. For me, the Synapse 19 with the optional frame is pretty similar in rigidity to the Synik 22... the thing I notice more is that the ballistic (when new & stiff) is more rigid than the halcyons.
    Yup, ballistic is more rigid and I prefer that to halcyon.

My first Tom Bihn backpack was a WF halcyon. Was too floppy for me and couldn't get it to work for me so sold it after a while.
    My ballistic Pilot is better and I used it more often but it is still rather small in capacity (and without a proper laptop compartment) so it is currently stored away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast