Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pso78 View Post
    Hi Amy,
    Thank you for the suggestion! I have considered the Smart Alec, and while it seems to be a bag that many people love, I'm just not as drawn to it as I am the BB and the S25. I agree with what I read in another post in that a certain bag might make all the sense in the world, but if a person's just not "feeling" it, then it's likely to end up unused in a closet somewhere. However, I think that's partly why I like the BB - it combines the larger spaces and openness of the SA with the pockets and organization of the S25 (kind of the best of both worlds!).
    The Brain Bag is a fantastic bag, it is super versatile, and with kids stuff it is always nice to have the option of fitting a little more. I also like that the length is a little shorter, the bag doesn't look overpowering even on a small frame (or kid) when it is cinched down. That's one problem I've had with the S25, it is just a bit too long for me to feel comfortable.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, DeBru. I hadn't really thought of that. As a BB owner (and to other BB owners), can you tell that the front side and top/middle pockets are similar to the S25 pockets in that even though the main compartments may be full, it doesn't "eat up" the space of those front pockets and there is still room to put things in them? Also, is the BB a comfortable bag to wear (i.e. does it seem to conform to your natural posture)? Those are two "features" I read about the S25, and I was just wondering if they apply to the BB as well.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, DeBru. I hadn't really thought of that. As a BB owner (and to other BB owners), can you tell that the front side and top/middle pockets are similar to the S25 pockets in that even though the main compartments may be full, it doesn't "eat up" the space of those front pockets and there is still room to put things in them? Also, is the BB a comfortable bag to wear (i.e. does it seem to conform to your natural posture)? Those are two "features" I read about the S25, and I was just wondering if they apply to the BB as well.
    I returned the S25 as I couldn't get it comfortably test packed for my style of carry (much to m disappointment, it's an incredible bag!) but I can attest to the Brain Bag being a beast when you need it to be, it has swallowed everything I've stuffed into it. I think I would have to overstuff the outer pockets to the point of being unusable for them to encroach on the main bag space. One thing I like to do is keep the most necessary necessities in the outer pockets, and other things in various small parentally required items in different colored organizer pouches or 3D cubes, tethered via keystrap to the o rings and placed on top of the bigger stuff in the main compartments. Everything is easily accessed and I feel like a super hero organized mom Wink

And yes, it is comfortable to wear, the shorter length fits both my 5'2" frame and my husband's "slightly" longer 6'3" frame, unless I stuff it to weigh over 20 lbs. But at that point he carries it and it doesn't look ridiculous.

Edit for autocorrect fail
    Last edited by DeBru; 05-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again to everyone that provided feedback. In case you want to know how this story turned out, this past Memorial Day weekend family outing made my decision very clear. (I just placed my order and can't wait for it to arrive!) The Brain Bag is the better fit for me right now since I need the extra space. It can simply do and hold everything the S25 can; whereas, the converse is not true. I realized this as I was stuffing 5 five hoodies, 3 water bottles, a change of clothes for our 2-yr old, a big bag of goldfish crackers, 7 bagel sandwiches, my personal items, and souvenirs from the outing into my current backpack....all the while wishing that I had more space! So, the BB is coming to the rescue!!

I still hope to get the S25 one day when the kids are old enough to carry their own stuff, and I can have my own personal backpack. Maybe I'll get lucky and the legendary solar and zest interiors will return when that day comes! Until then, see you all in the Forums....

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 bagels! Wow!

I am super excited for you, @pso78, and can't wait to see pictures!

Also, I think you will appreciate the cinch straps that enable you to compress the Brain Bag when it is partially loaded.

p.s. @Darcy -- in addition to listing the capacity of bag in liters, could you also list how many bagels fit in each bag? Smilie
    -m

NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update:

After spending the July 4th holiday week in Washington D.C. with the family (wife and 3 young children), I love loVE LOVE my new Brain Bag!!! It served me/us very well carrying a large water bottle, 2 medium gatorade bottles for the kids, plenty of food/snacks, hats, sunscreen, wipes, extra changes of clothes, and other miscellaneous items. The bigger capacity was exactly what I was looking for. The added bonus was that the shoulder straps are extremely comfortable. I was not expecting that (based on how all my past backpacks have carried).

I did "soup up" my Brain Bag a little though. I wanted to mimic one of the key strengths and features of its Synapse cousins by creating a central, dedicated water bottle "pocket" so that I could leave the two side pockets free for other stuff. So, I added vertical nylon strips down each side connecting the original two front straps, and also added a third horizontal nylon strip. This way, the front "pocket" can now securely hold any size disposable plastic water bottle (from 8 oz to 1.5 liter) or any water bottle without a top carrying/attachment loop (i.e. pretty much any type of water bottle). This is the perfect bag for me!!!

Brain Bag vs Synapse 25 - Thoughts appreciated!-brain-bag-jpg

Southern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey pso! Well done! I'm glad not only did it work out you made it even better for your uses!

NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, TRD! Many thanks for all the great suggestions, ideas, videos, etc that members of this wonderful community provided. Now that my Brain Bag's been tweaked to my liking, the next task is figuring out how to best use/configure my new Co-Pilot.......and the fun continues!

Brain Bag vs Synapse 25 - Thoughts appreciated!-copilot-jpg
    Last edited by pso78; 07-14-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, TRD! Many thanks for all the great suggestions, ideas, videos, etc that members of this wonderful community provided. Now that my Brain Bag's been tweaked to my liking, the next task is figuring out how to best use/configure my new Co-Pilot.......and the fun continues!
    Oh, are you the one who beat me out for that Steel Dyneema/Solar Co-Pilot on eBay recently? I was sad about that! But congratulations. :-)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, sorry! That was me. Realizing that I missed out when the great solar and zest colors were in production, the second-hand market is my only chance to get them now. My hope is one day they'll be back (fingers crossed!)! Until then, next on my "search for" list is something in one of your favorite color combinations: navy & solar. Excellent taste!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2