Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Briefcase User Comments?

I'd really appreciate user comments, reviews, pros and cons, on the Daylight Briefcase. I've studied the TB website info on it, and it looks like an ideal minimalist item for local daily use. I like the dimensions and overall design. Looks like a sweet spot between too much and not enough.

Thanks.....

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Go Navy!

I love the minimalist design of the Daylight Briefcase!

However, I struggle with which bag I want to carry!

If I want to bring my MacBook and a few other things to a cafe and get some work done, it is a great choice! Indeed, I also love carrying it to the office! And it is a great travel briefcase when I'm carrying another travel bag -- I love that I can slip it into the middle compartment of the Tri-Star!

At other times, I enjoy the compartmentalized organization of the Co-Pilot or Pilot, including the dedicated water bottle pocket. But I have carried a 20 oz water bottle in the large outside zippered pocket of the Daylight briefcase.

Recognize that the Daylight Briefcase does not have pen slots, if that is a factor for your approach to organization. You could slide a Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in there if you'd like.
    -m

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the only TB bag I own, and my first, is a CoPilot. I'm really happy with it, and use it for a carry-on for air travel, when I'm always carrying more stuff. It's also ok for daily local use, but the Daylight Briefcase looks even better for that. And, I have both a 13" MacBook and a regular sized iPad. Looks like I could put both into the Daylight, but usually I just take the iPad when local.

Thanks for the comment about pen slots. Did not know that. I like them, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

What about the standard shoulder strap for the Daylight....ok?

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shoulder strap is a matter of preference, I think. I included Simply Shoulder Strap is just fine as long as you don't overload the Daylight Briefcase.

But you could certainly use the Standard Shoulder Strap. If your shoulder tells you that you need the Absolute Shoulder Strap, imho, you've probably put more weight than you should into the Daylight Briefcase. Wink

I often carry the Daylight Briefcase by the handles, unless I need my hands free.
    -m

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my Co-Pilot, I ordered the SOS Mini Curve strap, which is very similar to the Absolute Strap, but smaller and less hefty. I wish Tom Bihn offered it on their site, because IMHO, it is a perfect pairing for the smaller shoulder-carried bags. I feel like once I am carrying a computer in my bag, I appreciate the extra give that the neoprene straps have.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Thanks for the comment about pen slots. Did not know that. I like them, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.
    I use the field journal insert as a kind of 'mini Freudian slip' for pens. (Got the idea from somewhere else on these forums.)

Now, back to opinions on the DLBC, I tend to flip-flop back and forth between it and my Pilot. The DLBC is a great EDC when I'm near home, except that often I end up with 2 contigo's, one water, one coffee. In those cases, I like having the extra water bottle pocket of the Pilot.

When I'm on the road though, if I can one bag it with just my Pilot (I.e. 3 nights or less) then the Pilot also becomes my EDC while I'm there. For a longer trip (like the one I'm on now) I'm using the DLBC as my laptop bag (and the Pilot as my luggage).

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with both bags. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the DLBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently picked up a daylight briefcase after loving my A45. I really like it, but I'll stress that it's very minimal. I have a fairly large work laptop, and with that in the bag there's not room for much more. It's also not structurally rigid, and I've found it doesn't work well with lumpy or round items. I'm using it mostly as mynin office bag to carry my laptop, cords, papers, etc. I imagine I'll pick up a pilot at some point for short trips and around town.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    I use the field journal insert as a kind of 'mini Freudian slip' for pens. (Got the idea from somewhere else on these forums.)
    I second that. It fits extremely well in one of the "half" front pockets, almost like it was designed for it.

I've only had my DLBC for about 2-3 weeks and absolutely love it. It fits much more than you'd imagine. In fact, I did a test pack and I can fit everything I would need for a 1-night business overnight in just the DLBC (and even that I could have scaled back in some areas). I had to forgo the cache for my MacBook, but the clothing cushioned it. So yes, it can hold more than you'd expect. Full disclaimer, I'm in IT so I don't have much demands as far as a dress code goes.

For me, the real benefits come down to cost (compared to Pilot for example), size, weight. It's my EDC to/from work so the small size and weight are great. I try to be ruthless in what I choose not to carry. My latest DLBC EDC collection weights under 6 pounds and I'm still not convinced I've paired down enough, but the DLBC has much room to spare.

That said, I am secretly eyeballing a Pilot as I think the bottle pocket would be really nice and I could definitely do a 2-3 night business trip in just the Pilot. But, the cost keeps me away from that since I've already got an A30 that serves that purpose (2+ night trips) and I'd feel like having that plus a DLBC may be somewhat redundant. Now a DLBP may be an option Big Grin

Back to your DLBC questions. About the only con I have found is that the Absolute Strap adds a decent amount of weight. But the comfort is very much worth it. You won't be disappointed if you do add on the AS. It makes that 6 pounds feel like 4.

If you are on the fence, I think once you make the jump you'll be happy you did.

FYI, in the overnight pic, those are the Small (Half cube) Eagle Creek Specter and the Standard Tom Bihn Spiff Kit.

Daylight Briefcase User Comments?-1-jpgDaylight Briefcase User Comments?-2-jpgDaylight Briefcase User Comments?-4-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using mine in Nordic Halcyon for about a year. My standard 2-3 day business kit is the DLBC in the middle section of my Tri-Star.

I'd echo other comments that the bag is pretty minimal, however, I appreciate that because I typically take extra things on trips that I won't use if I have the extra space!

I just chuck things like pens, meds, small notebooks, and iPhone headsets into the front pockets. I clip in two keystraps in the front corners, one for my badge, the other is where my keys go.

Main compartment I carry a MacBook Air in Cache, and use the Snake Charmer for brick, phone chargers, display adapter, etc. In the back compartment I clipped in a small clear organizer pouch, for spare loyalty/credit cards, a pen, and receipts when I'm on the road.

I use the Absolute Shoulder Strap most of the time. In Halcyon, even with the strap, the bag is so light that I regularly check to make sure I haven't left my laptop at home!

I'm currently working from home full-time with frequent travel, but next month I'm moving closer to HQ, and will commute daily via train. Will see if the DLBC continues to work as an EDC. Have thought of jumping to one of the Synapses or the Pilot to increase storage, especially room for coffee or ad hoc shopping on the way home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've mostly used my Pilot for EDC but it actually encourages me to carry along too much stuff, although I do love the bottle pocket in the middle. I've been trying to pare down my EDC to use the Daylight Brief Case I've had in Coyote (different than black -- casual or a bit dressed up for the office) and will see how it works out. Truthfully, it should be plenty.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of what others have said. There is a lot of overlap between the DLBC and Pilot.

Both are similar sizes proportionally, just thicker and thinner.

The DLBC is perfect for travelling as a light weight bag carried inside a Tristar. It just bulges too much when loaded with much more than a few thin items. And having no pen holder slots is actually a real annoyance. But it is super light and functional. Love it when I travel.

The Pilot however just nails it. Not too much bigger but great extra features (like a water bottle holder) and pass through sleeve for wheeled luggage. Perfect as an EDC / work bag.

I have both in Halcyon and have often debated just keeping one or the other but they're both excellent at what they are individually designed to do. So they're both staying.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perseffect: that's much like how I feel about my CoPilot. It gets pretty jammed when I travel, cause I stuff a noise cancelling headset, a MacBook 12, and an iPad into it along with other odds and ends. However, in daily use locally, it has more space than I need.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Perseffect: that's much like how I feel about my CoPilot. It gets pretty jammed when I travel, cause I stuff a noise cancelling headset, a MacBook 12, and an iPad into it along with other odds and ends. However, in daily use locally, it has more space than I need.
    I feel your pain. Once I have my Bose QC25 overears and water bottle and laptop and iPad and iphone and and and .....

I should just learn to travel with less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I feel your pain. Once I have my Bose QC25 overears and water bottle and laptop and iPad and iphone and and and .....

I should just learn to travel with less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Everyone loves their noise cancelling headphones but a quality set of in-ear monitors (think stage ear pieces) with proper foam seals should knock down close to 30db and provide big rich sound. They are tiny and light. Use the smallest q-kit on a strap.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johntubbs View Post
    Everyone loves their noise cancelling headphones but a quality set of in-ear monitors (think stage ear pieces) with proper foam seals should knock down close to 30db and provide big rich sound. They are tiny and light. Use the smallest q-kit on a strap.

I guess that would be the micro q.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast