Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Debut anxiety. Should I order now or wait?

    I am equal parts excited and also dreading the June debut. Excited because, obviously I can't wait to see the two new bags, the new size of an accessory, and whatever else is coming. I will almost certainly want some of these things! Maybe all of them!

    But, the last debut was a raging success and it happened at 4am for me, so half the stuff in my cart would be sold out by the time I get online.

    Should I just buy the first aid kit and millionty stuff sacks and key straps and the S25 I want? But what if the new accessory is a Side Kick XL, which I would definitely want? On the other hand my have missed out on the first aid kit twice before.

    I suppose the cost of ordering twice is ten dollars (ETA-if I get it sent to family and they send it on or bring it with them) which is not a lot (otherwise sending it to me directly it is $45 +15%) but it seems like throwing money away since I would normally just wait patiently... but I want the S25 for a trip in July.

    Is anyone else in this sort of limbo about ordering?
    Last edited by Cristina; 06-02-2017 at 02:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Share
    Chicago
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy what you want when you want it and when it's available. Don't waste your time waiting on something that may never happen; don't waste your time on "what ifs". Even if you wait because something comes out later that you want, then there is still no guarantee that the stuff you want now that is currently available will still be available later.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done this myself, but from what I've read on here, it's supposed to be possible to call customer service to order what you want now, and ask them to hold the items until you add to it after the debut. That way you guarantee what's in stock now, but still place it as one order.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    Sydney
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel you, $65 shipping for orders over $130 to Australia hurts. My strategy is to make myself ruthlessly cull by thinking about which items I will definitely use as soon as they arrive, and which are just indulgences. I've created a list of things I want, and next to each item I write what I specifically intend to put in it/use it for. So I recently ordered $130 worth of items from this carefully curated list; the rest will eventually go to my grandparents in San francisco, for them to pass on to whichever family member next sees them.
    Last edited by rbc3585; 06-02-2017 at 05:42 AM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,042
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying debut items can be a little fraught, because they sell out so quickly. I got very excited about the Side Kick release because I realized right away it was exactly what I needed, but there was hardly enough time to read the description before the colors I wanted were slipping away. There's something to be said for waiting for production rounds 2 or 3, so that there is sufficient time to read the reviews and real-life experiences of those who purchased them.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  6. #6
    Forum Member PaulT00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Share
    By the seaside, England
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone remind me when the June debut is supposed to be happening? I know it's probably been discussed before, but I forgot...
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

  7. #7
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your advice. It has been most helpful.

    I think I will plan to sit out the debut and see what comes, and order what I know I need now. @rbc3585 , it is such a great idea to write down what you will use a new bag for, thank you for that suggestion. I had done that with the S25 (to work out a pocket map) but not the sacks and trays and other stuff. I have done it now and pared my cart down to an S25 and half the number of stuff sacks and accessories. So if I need to order direct to me, my duty charge will be a bit less.

    Thanks @kaadk I might email customer service about that to see if it is possible (this would give me the best of both worlds)

    @bchaplin, you helped me realise that I actually know now that I need more time to think and consider a new bag, and I am not suited for debut shopping. Thanks!

    Thanks @ultravisitor for the reminder to live in the present and consider what is in front of me.

    @PaulT100, we don't have a date for the debut yet, but it is supposed to be in June




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    6,228
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post an update about the debut next week that I think will help answer some of these questions. Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

  9. #9
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'll post an update about the debut next week that I think will help answer some of these questions. Smilie
    Thanks, @Darcy! Can't wait. Finalising cart in the meantime! Actually, I am waiting on a black halcyon S25 to come back in stock, which gives me time to plan my next move. :-)

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Share
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I am equal parts excited and also dreading the June debut. Excited because, obviously I can't wait to see the two new bags, the new size of an accessory, and whatever else is coming. I will almost certainly want some of these things! Maybe all of them!

    But, the last debut was a raging success and it happened at 4am for me, so half the stuff in my cart would be sold out by the time I get online.

    Should I just buy the first aid kit and millionty stuff sacks and key straps and the S25 I want? But what if the new accessory is a Side Kick XL, which I would definitely want? On the other hand my have missed out on the first aid kit twice before.

    I suppose the cost of ordering twice is ten dollars (ETA-if I get it sent to family and they send it on or bring it with them) which is not a lot (otherwise sending it to me directly it is $45 +15%) but it seems like throwing money away since I would normally just wait patiently... but I want the S25 for a trip in July.

    Is anyone else in this sort of limbo about ordering?
    I'm definitely feeling the same way. I've been mentally forcing myself to wait on my next order until the debut...because what if what is debuted is something I like better than what I would have purchased otherwise? I'm looking for another EDC. But I know if I made a purchase now, I don't have the will power to keep the tags on and not use it until the debut (in case I like the debuted item better and ended up needing to return what I buy now). Quite a dilemma. At least I've got my cart prepped.

    Add on the fact that this will be my first debut that I will experience. And now I'm picturing it as the virtual equivalent of Walmart opening its doors on Black Friday...complete with people trampling the server on the way in, verbal fist fights breaking out over a bin of rapidly selling Q Kits, somebody getting pepper sprayed over a cafe bag dispute, and all happening while everyone is dressed in their pajamas and half asleep/hung over. (Kidding, I'm actually looking forward to some good 'ol keyboard jockeying and practicing my ninja-like reflexes.)

    So when is that debut? Lol.

  11. #11
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxValleyDame View Post
    I'm definitely feeling the same way. I've been mentally forcing myself to wait on my next order until the debut...because what if what is debuted is something I like better than what I would have purchased otherwise? I'm looking for another EDC. But I know if I made a purchase now, I don't have the will power to keep the tags on and not use it until the debut (in case I like the debuted item better and ended up needing to return what I buy now). Quite a dilemma. At least I've got my cart prepped.

    Add on the fact that this will be my first debut that I will experience. And now I'm picturing it as the virtual equivalent of Walmart opening its doors on Black Friday...complete with people trampling the server on the way in, verbal fist fights breaking out over a bin of rapidly selling Q Kits, somebody getting pepper sprayed over a cafe bag dispute, and all happening while everyone is dressed in their pajamas and half asleep/hung over. (Kidding, I'm actually looking forward to some good 'ol keyboard jockeying and practicing my ninja-like reflexes.)

    So when is that debut? Lol.
    YES! You said it so much better than I could have. I think of it the same way.

  12. #12
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    6,228
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Can someone remind me when the June debut is supposed to be happening? I know it's probably been discussed before, but I forgot...
    It will be..... Tuesday, June 27th at 10:00am Pacific Time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    But, the last debut was a raging success and it happened at 4am for me, so half the stuff in my cart would be sold out by the time I get online.
    This debut will be a little different....

    We have a few small (one of them will really surprise you!) items that will debut on the 27th and will be ready to ship same day. But....

    The larger bags (including the bag formerly known as the Muse) will debut as "In Production". That means there will be full pages (photos, description, videos) for each of the designs and you can sign up to be notified via email when they're in-stock, but they won't be ready to ship for 2-12 weeks. To explain why this is the case might reveal too much; we hope it'll be a good thing all around because folks will have more time to research the new bags and make an informed choice. And there will be much to read, watch, and learn about the two new bags... they have some very innovative new design features.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    I've never done this myself, but from what I've read on here, it's supposed to be possible to call customer service to order what you want now, and ask them to hold the items until you add to it after the debut. That way you guarantee what's in stock now, but still place it as one order.
    I remember that! Smilie We kinda did this back in the day, but it's no longer an option for a variety of reasons (mainly logistics stuff).
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

  13. #13
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It will be..... Tuesday, June 27th at 10:00am Pacific Time.



    This debut will be a little different....

    We have a few small (one of them will really surprise you!) items that will debut on the 27th and will be ready to ship same day. But....

    The larger bags (including the bag formerly known as the Muse) will debut as "In Production". That means there will be full pages (photos, description, videos) for each of the designs and you can sign up to be notified via email when they're in-stock, but they won't be ready to ship for 2-12 weeks. To explain why this is the case might reveal too much; we hope it'll be a good thing all around because folks will have more time to research the new bags and make an informed choice. And there will be much to read, watch, and learn about the two new bags... they have some very innovative new design features.



    I remember that! Smilie We kinda did this back in the day, but it's no longer an option for a variety of reasons (mainly logistics stuff).
    Oh! I missed this post somehow. Thanks very much @Darcy! Seems like people won't need to be quite so ruthless this time. :-)

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna make a wildly uninformed guess that the innovative features on the new bags will be a process that lets Bihnions choose their own colors - I.e., match their dream exterior color with their dream interior color. Which would mean each bag is made to order, which would cause the increased production time. Which would be TOTALLY WORTH IT.

    My mind is literally freezing up trying to compute all the possible color combos. If I'm wrong, don't tell me. it's bedtime here and I'm going to go drift off to this fantasy.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •