Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double Organizer Pouch Urethane Issue?

I have an odd issue with my double organizer pouch. I have a large double organizer pouch in plum that I got about a month and a half ago. About two weeks ago I started noticing that purple has rubbed off on the urethane front panel. It seems to have stained the urethane because I can't get it off with soap and water. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone have another cleaning recommendation without damaging the fabric or urethane?

Double Organizer Pouch Urethane Issue?-img_3994-jpg

Double Organizer Pouch Urethane Issue?-img_3995-jpg

Double Organizer Pouch Urethane Issue?-img_3996-jpg

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's super weird. FoxValleyDame, have you sent a note about this to emailus@tombihn.com? If not, could you? I know we'll want to figure out what's going on here.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of things might you have been keeping or transporting in the pouch?

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That's super weird. FoxValleyDame, have you sent a note about this to emailus@tombihn.com? If not, could you? I know we'll want to figure out what's going on here.
    I'll do that, thanks Darcy! It's definitely super weird, but I do love my purple pouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    What sort of things might you have been keeping or transporting in the pouch?
    I use my pouch for work purposes. I keep in it a legal pad, spiral notebook, file folder with papers in it, my surface, more loose papers, two small field notes notebooks, and some envelopes with mail. I'm amazed at how much it holds!

Forum Member
    Katy, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar thing happen with the urethane on a pouch-- it so disappointed me, I haven't bought a urethane bag since. (Plenty of other stuff, though Wink)
    My Tom Bihn Obsession: Western Flyer (black/steel); Aeronaut 30 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #1 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi);Pilot (black/ultraviolet); Night Flight #1 (black/steel); Night Flight #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi); many packing cubes; Side Effect #1 (black); Side Effect #2 (black Dyneema); passport holder (steel); wallet (steel); travel tray (ultraviolet); various key straps; various fabric cubes; various pouches; Q kit #1 (black); Q kit #2 (steel).

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customer service recommended trying to clean it first with isopropyl alcohol. Apparently this helps clean up urethane when it gets cloudy. Unfortunately the isopropyl alcohol did not remove the stains. They said I can exchange it for a new pouch...but they are all out of plum. I just might love my purple pouch enough to keep it, stains and all!

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll probably have plum again in a while, and you could exchange it then!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We (or Kat, rather Smilie tried to recreate the issue described here, but didn't have any luck. Here was our method:

After putting a piece of paper in the Plum Clear Organizer Pouch, we took a wet paper towel and squeezed several water droplets onto the back of the pouch and let it sit for about an hour, and the water didn't go through. Next, we aggressively rubbed the water into the back of the pouch, which made a bit of moisture leak through, but no dye. From there, we put a little bit of water on the piece of paper and pressed it against the corner of one of our desks to simulate a bunch of strain/stress on it, but nothing seemed to happen after that either. Over all, some cleanable water smudges showed up on the urethane, but the dye didn't seem to go through.

So that's some good news (doesn't seem to be an issue we can recreate, and it's not one we've experienced ourselves) and some not-so-good news (we don't know why this happened to your pouch!) I do know Kat is on the lookout for a new pouch for you. Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea if this could be the case, but that looks very similar to a folder I used to have ... it happened because of the red brand print on the top binding of legal pads that I stuffed into the folder which would rub off onto the clear folder. And interestingly it always happened in the summer with the humidity but never in the winter.

Could be similar or completely different : )