Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A45 for Regional Jets?

I have been using a 21" spinner and usually have plenty of room to spare, but I have to gate check all the time on Regional Jets out of RDU. I fly Delta on mostly CRJ-200/900 and once a ERJ-145 for the first leg. I mostly do 4-7 day business trips domestic and international.

I see some people bring the same sized roller on board and they all successfully fit. Also the storage never seems to be filled. I usually board in group 1. Annoying, as I sometimes need to make tight connections.

I want to eliminate gate checking as much as possible!

Will the Aeronaut 45 the best option?

Usual Carry on List (6' 210lb male):
    • 2-3 slacks
    • 0-1 jeans
    • 2-4 dress shirts
    • light amount of socks, undershirts, t-shirt
    • 1-2 polos
    • 1 pair of workout clothing
    • 1 pair of dress shoes (sometimes 2)
    • light rain coat
    • not much else

I fold my shirts/slacks and roll everything else.

Personal Item (laptop bag)
    • 13" laptop + power brick
    • kindle
    • cell phone charge + battery
    • normal 3-1-1 stuff + meds
    • eye mask, ear plugs
    • snacks
    • water bottle

It would also be awesome if I could reduce my personal item and pack very small laptop bag to get to a single bag (might be another thread).

Just the excuse to upgrade as my roller back broke this last trip!

Thank you!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've successfully put my fairly full A45 in the overheads on regional jets.

Here are a couple of posts (not mine) with photos:

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml#post121091

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml#post129944
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any problem bringing my A45 on any of those regional commuter planes.
    Eat well, travel often.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to fit a well-packed, but not overly packed, Aeronaut 45 in the overhead of CRJ-900, as shown in this thread.

In looking for this, I found two other discussions on this same topic:
    A forum discussion on if A45s fit under the seats of CRJs
    A Blog post on if A45s fit in the overheads of regional jets

ETA: I forgot to mention that I have packed my work computer using either a 14-inch non-TB briefcase or a Large Cafe Bag inside the A45 for one-bag travel.
    Last edited by sujo; 06-20-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it should fit OK. I have traveled with my large work laptop in my A45 to keep it to one bag. I didn't put it in a briefcase but just in a sleeve.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience is that you should have no problem, like others have said.

The difference maker on the smaller regional planes is whether there are wheels or not. If you have wheels, count on it being gate checked. If it doesn't, you can probably get it in the overhead without a whole lot of trouble from anyone. This is just my experience... I've carried an A45 and an ebags bag of roughly the same size multiple times and never had issues. Due to my location I tend to always have to flight smaller regional flights to a larger airport to get to pretty much anywhere in the US.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much. Ordered and I can't wait to join the tb club!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread, but I'm looking to do something very similar. I am hoping to pick up an A45 for both domestic and international travel, and potentially a pilot or copilot that I can pack inside an A45 and use as a personal item (or leave in bag if feasible). It sounds like the copilot is really the best thing for that (I have a 12 inch MacBook that should fit), but I'm a little dissuaded by the "purse like bag" I keep hearing re: the copilot. I think OP would have to look at a pilot size for his 13 inch laptop, so does anyone have any thoughts there?

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the Pilot and Co Pilot really don't look like a purse type bag. They look like luggage or a briefcase in my opinion.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a briefcase. Or, as my coworker told me once about my Co-Pilot, "like luggage". I don't mind, because it's so practical, but neither is purselike in my opinion.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MohammedsRadio View Post
    Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread, but I'm looking to do something very similar. I am hoping to pick up an A45 for both domestic and international travel, and potentially a pilot or copilot that I can pack inside an A45 and use as a personal item (or leave in bag if feasible). It sounds like the copilot is really the best thing for that (I have a 12 inch MacBook that should fit), but I'm a little dissuaded by the "purse like bag" I keep hearing re: the copilot. I think OP would have to look at a pilot size for his 13 inch laptop, so does anyone have any thoughts there?
    I've owned both. The Co-pilot has a more square profile whilst the larger pilot is more rectangular.

The shape of the pilot being rectangular is more pleasing to me as it's only a little bigger than the copilot. I have a Halcyon Pilot at the movement and it can easily be placed into my A45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit two A45s in a CRJ200 overhead just this week. It was tight, but it fit. Larger RJs, no problem.

Forum Member
    Rowe, NM, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a 9 x 14 x 22 wheels-less bag has no problem fitting in bitty-jet overheads, as long as the bag isn't overstuffed.