Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More love for the Snake Charmer

Small Snake Charmer:

A few weeks ago I went on a trip and used a small Snake Charmer as a clean/dirty cube for socks and underwear. I have a bunch of colored zipper pulls that I use to keep track of which packing cubes fit which bags, so I put a green zipper pull on it for the "clean" side and a red zipper pull to mark the "dirty" side. It worked great! I think I had 3 pairs of underwear and two or three pairs of socks, which fit nicely. Plus I liked the mesh sides that let the dirty clothes breathe and not build up too much odor.

Large Snake Charmer:

This past weekend I went on another trip and packed extra light (compared to my usual not-too-light, not-too-heavy packing) because I wanted to minimize the weight I was carrying around while recovering from shin splints. (Plug: to see where I could reduce weight in my packing list, I used the Lighterpack website https://lighterpack.com that @bchaplin mentioned here a couple weeks ago.) Instead of putting my in-flight stuff in a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag with a Travelon large packing square to organize it, I put it all (minus iPad) in a large Snake Charmer instead. The large Snake Charmer weighs slightly more than the PCSB, but less than the PCSB + packing square and gives more organization than the PCSB on its own. I used two double carabiners to hang it from the seat pocket on the airplane, as @moriond described here: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...html#post57339

After I got to the hotel I shifted things around, attached a Simple Shoulder Strap to the large Snake Charmer, and used it as a purse the rest of the weekend. One side held my knitting or a light cardigan (the hotel function rooms were cold!), the other side held room key, small notebook, pen, convention program, play program, and even an 8 oz bottle of water, plus a couple of Pocket Pouches clipped to the O-ring. The Snake Charmer did determinedly turn on its side every time I wore it this way, but that was fine since it was zipped shut.

P.S. Not related to the Snake Charmer, but: I ended up being very glad my luggage was an Aeronaut 30! On my way home I was on standby, not confirmed for the flight, and by the time I boarded there was no room in the overheads and they were gate-checking bags. Gate-checking wouldn't have been the end of the world, but it was late by the time we landed and it was so nice to be able to just pull my bag out from under the seat, walk off the plane and out of the airport, and go find a Lyft home.

Photo 1: small Wasabi Snake Charmer as clean/dirty cube, with colored zipper pulls showing which side is which
    Photo 2: large Fjord Snake Charmer holding in-flight stuff, hanging on the seat pocket. Also visible: Aubergine/Island Aeronaut 30, Solar medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Luggage Tag (I found a Forest Luggage Tag on eBay, I didn't even know they made luggage tags in Forest, I was super excited to find it!)
    Photo 3 & 5: large Snake Charmer as a purse, determined to hang sideways
    Photo 4: some of the contents of the large Snake Charmer during the convention I was attending (note: the water bottle is only a few inches tall)
    Photo 6: Bonus photo: Aeronaut 30 fitting easily under the seat in front of me

More love for the Snake Charmer-snake-charmers-3-befunky-collage-jpg
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aedificia I love this post!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I should add a note that in the last photo showing the A30 I'm in Delta's Comfort Plus, which has more legroom than standard coach. On my other flight that trip I was in coach and with the A30 under the seat in front of me, there was only just enough room left for my feet to be comfortable. (I'm 5'5".)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can you find those double carabiners in black?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @rafoster,

Quote Originally Posted by rafoster View Post
    Where can you find those double carabiners in black?
    The original Double Carabiners were in Black. They shifted to green (8-02-2015) when the original source for these ran out. But you can buy these in Black, Orange, or Green made by Tyny Tools. Here's their web site, but they're also carried elsewhere.

The size that you want is Medium.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-21-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too love the snake charmer!
    At last all my electronic stuff is under control - the two compartments allows me to easily find wht I need.

I did consider using it as toilet bag . . .
    The length just about fits a my electric toothbrush but an extra inch would make the differece.
    My brush easily fits in the other side but it poked through the mesh and was spikey.

I wish the snake charmer was availble in all fabric dyeema - then it would be useful light, toilet bag.
    I haven't seen anything like this in a lightweight material like the dyneema.