Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Nashville, TN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Moriond, you are kind!

Yeah, sorry I have been gone. i started a Masters degree a while back and that on top of a full time job and some other distractions (empty nest at home, FIRST GRANDCHILD!!!) have demolished my schedule pretty brutally.

hoping to get back on track here and the blog soon though! I suspect the Stowaway will be my first review when I return !

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond, you have a very good eye for color & texture. I have appreciated your descriptions over the last week.

One thing I've been puzzled about: Do you have any idea why the Deep Blue exterior is not paired with Dawn in any of the bags? I appreciate that the color combos for the new fabric were perhaps chosen to be fun and interesting. However, I kind of like colors that harmonize rather than contrast, like Nordic/Northwest Sky, for instance. Another combo I would have liked is Deep Blue/Cloud. So I'm just curious if there are any reasons those combos wouldn't pair well; maybe they'll be offered in future production runs?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    I can't WAIT for my Mars and Canyon Cubelets to arrive today! A friend missed the debut and has been making sad eyes at my Viridian Cubelet, so it's probably going to live with her before she heads out on a trip . Any ETA on when the other colors are restocking?
    Aww...you're an awesome friend to that person Big Grin

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    Thank you Moriond, you are kind!

Yeah, sorry I have been gone. i started a Masters degree a while back and that on top of a full time job and some other distractions (empty nest at home, FIRST GRANDCHILD!!!) have demolished my schedule pretty brutally.

hoping to get back on track here and the blog soon though! I suspect the Stowaway will be my first review when I return !
    It is really lovely to see you on the forum, Jeffmac!

Studying for a Masters degree, adapting to the changes that come from being empty nesters and especially, rescheduling at the drop of a hat, when events related to a first grandchild come up, are challenges and joys that I am really happy you are sharing with us.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would anybody happen to know if the new Cubelet will fit a UK passport. On the measurements it looks like "just", but it might depend on how the zip and the seams work in the internal space.

If it fits I'm thinking that a Cubelet could be the shoulder bag for flights when no second bag is allowed. It'd be very easy to make disappear at the appropriate moments. Passport, wallet, etc.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coljay View Post
    Would anybody happen to know if the new Cubelet will fit a UK passport. On the measurements it looks like "just", but it might depend on how the zip and the seams work in the internal space.

If it fits I'm thinking that a Cubelet could be the shoulder bag for flights when no second bag is allowed. It'd be very easy to make disappear at the appropriate moments. Passport, wallet, etc.
    I just tried to get a Field Notes notebook in one and it was a no-go. I'd try the 3DOC instead.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many questions!

Are there pics of the Cubelet and 3DOC side-by-side?

Will there be a mesh Cublelet?

Will the 3DOC/Qkit/Organizer Pouches/Snake Charmer etc be made in the new fabrics?

Is Halcyon going away?

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we know if the new ballistic fabrics will be used in any OPs?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    Will the 3DOC/Qkit/Organizer Pouches/Snake Charmer etc be made in the new fabrics?
    @pvn, I emailed the TB Crew that question in regards to the Snake Chamer and 3DOCs and here is Matthew R's response:

"I can't really say one way or another definitively on whether other items like the Snake Charmer and 3DOC will be made in the new fabrics, however my bet is that eventually they will be. I haven't heard anything about if or when however, so this is purely conjecture from me."

When I called a couple days before and asked Kat if the Q-kits would be made in the new ballistic fabrics, her reply was most likely not since the heavier ballistic is needed in order for the Q-kit to hold its shape, but then you never know. So I am hopeful that we will see the new ballistic fabrics in a lot of accessories, but for now it's wait and see.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little perplexed by this idea that halcyon might be disappearing, since to my mind the 525d ballistic is more of a replacement for/alternative to cordura or 1050d ballistic than anything else. Particularly since it seems a lot heavier than halcyon, going by the synapse and cafe bag specs. I know shop bags will be made in the new 210d ballistic, but that just seems like a new option, rather than a sneaky attempt to phase out halcyon? And I'm all for new options!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    I'm a little perplexed by this idea that halcyon might be disappearing, since to my mind the 525d ballistic is more of a replacement for/alternative to cordura or 1050d ballistic than anything else. Particularly since it seems a lot heavier than halcyon, going by the synapse and cafe bag specs. I know shop bags will be made in the new 210d ballistic, but that just seems like a new option, rather than a sneaky attempt to phase out halcyon? And I'm all for new options!
    Oh, god forbid halcyon would ever be retired. But check out Darcy's comments in post #70 in this thread:

"To be clear: we’re not saying Halcyon isn’t durable. For many folks, it will be plenty durable. It also isn’t being retired anytime soon. But, we never say never around here, especially now that we’ve discovered some great new fabric mills to work with. If Halcyon is ever retired, we would give everyone plenty of heads-up."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great comparison photos of the 3D organizer cube and Cubelet

Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    So many questions!

Are there pics of the Cubelet and 3DOC side-by-side?

Will there be a mesh Cublelet?

Is Halcyon going away?
    And @coljay, both the Side Effect, and the 3D Organizer Cube in all fabric (particularly the parapack ones that are available now) would make great stealth bags for holding your passport, phone and other essentials. I use the Side Effect for exactly that purpose; it stays with me on the plane. Completely un-noticeable if it's tucked against one's side (after you sit down).
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-01-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    Oh, god forbid halcyon would ever be retired. But check out Darcy's comments in post #70 in this thread:

"To be clear: we’re not saying Halcyon isn’t durable. For many folks, it will be plenty durable. It also isn’t being retired anytime soon. But, we never say never around here, especially now that we’ve discovered some great new fabric mills to work with. If Halcyon is ever retired, we would give everyone plenty of heads-up."
    Haha yeah fair enough! I guess I interpreted that as "no ironclad promises" rather than "it's a definite possibility", but I can see why people might be concerned. I imagine you'd still lose most of the benefit of the weight savings if bags like the aeronauts and smart alec were made in 525d ballistic instead of 400d halcyon.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    Haha yeah fair enough! I guess I interpreted that as "no ironclad promises" rather than "it's a definite possibility", but I can see why people might be concerned. I imagine you'd still lose most of the benefit of the weight savings if bags like the aeronauts and smart alec were made in 525d ballistic instead of 400d halcyon.
    I still like the ecstatic look of dyneema and the stiffer feel of 525d. I wonder if Tom would consider making bags (e.g. Smart Alec) with external 525d and internal 200d dyneema.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Some great comparison photos of the 3D organizer cube and Cubelet

And @coljay, both the Side Effect, and the 3D Organizer Cube in all fabric (particularly the parapack ones that are available now) would make great stealth bags for holding your passport, phone and other essentials. I use the Side Effect for exactly that purpose; it stays with me on the plane. Completely un-noticeable if it's tucked against one's side (after you sit down).
    Yup, I use a Side Effect now. Great on the plane but a bit big to make disappear at the gate.

In fact the Side Effect is my EDC. A wonderful bag.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast