Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until The Luminary appears, I have pulled the trigger on two Cubelets (one in Viridian and one in Alphaviolet) and the smallest pouchlet in blue. I can't wait to get them! One of the Cubelets will become my tea stash. I always travel with tea (kind of like how the Doctor always brings a banana to a party!). The other Cubelet will probably contain my charging brick and cord. Although now that I'm thinking about it, it would also be a fabulous knitting tool pouch! Has anyone captured any photos of it used in that capacity? I'd love to see them!
    Last edited by Mausermama; 06-27-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I JUST bought an S25 (it shipped yesterday). I got it in black halcyon / UV with some matching UV accessories (3DOCs, yarn stuff sack).

Can someone please tell me that I should not return it and buy a black ballistic/viridian?? My reasons are: black/viridian isn't available yet and I want an S25 for my summer holidays in less than a month's time; there are no new ballistic 3DOCs or YSSs in viridian, and it is nearly half a pound heavier than the halcyon S25. On the other hand, viridian is sooo prettttyyyyyyy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    @Cristina,

The S25 in the new Ballistic combinations are noticeably heavier than the Halcyon versions. (I had them send one to me so I could try out the fit and weight distribution, even though most of the color selections are not made up yet). The fabric for Viridian is not as pliable as Halcyon for stuff sacks. If weight is a consideration for you, you might want to stick with Halcyon. I've been carrying my (Original Steel) Halcyon Synapse 25 since their first production batch.

HTH moriond

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I have been trying unsuccessfully to buy a first aid kit but I keep missing them. Now I am glad since I can get the new version and all the pouches!

I also think a Mars Red cubelet would be a good travel FAK.
    Lol. Me too. I kept missing the first aid kit, but now it will be mine!

I ordered the first aid kit, 1 red leaf pouch, 1 mars red cubelet for travel/day-hikes or first aid kit overflow, and 1 grass cubelet just because.

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So excited for my purchases! And the color combination of my shopping cart made me happy. . Now the delivery anticipation begins....

Summer 2017 Debut!-img_4535-png

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Cristina,

The S25 in the new Ballistic combinations are noticeably heavier than the Halcyon versions. (I had them send one to me so I could try out the fit and weight distribution, even though most of the color selections are not made up yet). The fabric for Viridian is not as pliable as Halcyon for stuff sacks. If weight is a consideration for you, you might want to stick with Halcyon. I've been carrying my (Original Steel) Halcyon Synapse 25 since their first production batch.

HTH moriond
    Thank you @moriond that is what I needed to hear. I do want a bag that is pretty light itself, because I tend to overpack anyway and my bags can get heavy quickly, even my Side Kick.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also sad to hear about the large cafe bag retirement. It's my favorite, and I use it as an EDC (I have three...black for fall/winter, sand for spring/summer, and steel for a small camera bag). Glad Tom Bihn bags last forever. Ended up ordering some cubelets (need organization), 2 caps, and a redesigned parental unit (PU). I know the PU was redesigned earlier. I had gotten one a year ago or so. Liked it, but the top zipper not opening all the way really bugged me. Ended up giving it away. The new design sounds great...very functional.
    Last edited by kschles; 06-27-2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Grammar

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's photos of a few of the crew modeling the Luminary to provide a sense of how it fits different people:

Summer 2017 Debut!-araceli-jpg
    Summer 2017 Debut!-ben-jpg
    Summer 2017 Debut!-esther-jpg
    Summer 2017 Debut!-fong-jpg
    Summer 2017 Debut!-matthew-jpg
    Summer 2017 Debut!-irma-jpg
    Summer 2017 Debut!-kat-jpg
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @darcy...would it be possible to get a back view also? Thanks!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @darcy could you double check the metric weights listed on the S25 page? I just looked at them again and I could have sworn they just changed after my exchange with @moriond —now two of them have the same metric weight but different imperial weights.

Many thanks!

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    First Question! Will the stowaway be available in halcyon in august?
    Okay, here’s the scoop on Halcyon in these two new designs:

Tom chose to develop the Stowaway and Luminary in the new 525 denier HT 2x2 ballistic nylon fabric because he felt that this was the very best fabric for these bags, although for slightly different reasons.

The Stowaway is intended to be stowed regularly under the seat of an airplane, an application best served by a fabric that is both slippery and highly abrasion-resistant. Halcyon 400 is slippery enough, but doesn’t have as high abrasion resistance as the new 525d Ballistic. True, we could have saved about 4-1/2 ounces in the total weight of the bag by using Halcyon, but Tom felt like that weight savings was minor compared to the long-term payoff in durability.*

For the Luminary, the weight differences are even more minor: we would have saved about two ounces had we built it from Halcyon 400. The Luminary wasn’t intended to be an ultralight pack, but rather a stylish, everyday-use pack. Tom made some of the original rough prototypes for the Luminary (long since ripped apart and recycled) in both Halcyon 400 and 1050 Ballistic and he was disappointed by the aesthetic of both. In the same way the Empire Builder wouldn’t look right in Halcyon 400, or the Daylight Backpack in 1050 Ballistic, there’s some bags that simply look and feel right in certain fabrics. For the Luminary, the 1050 Ballistic was too stiff, and the 400 Halcyon too supple: the 525 was the “just right” fabric… the curves, the lines, the drape of the fabric — everything about it was right.

And as Tom built the prototypes (over 20 for the Stowaway), he became more and more enamored by the 525d. While perhaps it doesn’t qualify as ultralight, it is absolutely ultra-awesome — and is basically Tom’s dream fabric. I’ll admit we are all rather impressed with it. Now it’s up to you guys to tell us what you think!

We don’t have plans to offer bags with an exterior of 525 and an interior of 200d Halcyon, at least not right now: we’ve had a number of requests over the years from folks for a “non-grid” fabric combination and this is a chance to offer that and see what people think.*

To be clear: we’re not saying Halcyon isn’t durable. For many folks, it will be plenty durable. It also isn’t being retired anytime soon. But, we never say never around here, especially now that we’ve discovered some great new fabric mills to work with. If Halcyon is ever retired, we would give everyone plenty of heads-up

Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I am SO SO SO HAPPY I held out on replacing my MCB. I loved my bright cordura bag, but not the fabric, and I couldn't be happier that it's going to be offered in ballistic!

Probably the most excited I've ever been on a debut day :-D
    Yay! I am glad you’re happy!

Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    that new viridian ballistic color?? HHHHHHHHHHHNNNGGHHHHH
    It’s a great color, and looks even better in real life (it can be a challenge to photograph accurately in certain lighting conditions).

Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    Darcy I'm going to beg beg beg you to make a cafe bag with Grass on the OUTSIDE!
    That would be pretty cool, but isn’t in the cards because Grass is 210d and is only going to be used as a lining color.

Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    I am also debating if I can finagle a way to make a trip down to the TB store to pick one up in person when they come out, because while I will probably end up with a Cloud Luminary, I really really really want to see that Alphaviolet in person!
    Cloud/Cloud? I think that’s the first same exterior/same interior color combination we’ve ever offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I love the new lighter grade ballistic colors, especially cloud/grass and cloud/dawn. Will they be available in other travel bags? Aeronauts, hint hint?
    It’s not out of the realm of possibility, but there aren’t plans for that right now. Think of 525d more as a replacement for 1000d Cordura.

Quote Originally Posted by RDR3 View Post
    Love the colors!
    We pushed ourselves to choose brighter colors and I’m glad we did!

Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @Darcy, thank you for the heads-up on the retirement of the Large Cafe Bag. I have been using my turquoise one for church and it fits all my stuff so nicely. Your announcement allowed me to order a black halcyon one before they are gone for good. Sad to see them go, but totally understand they are making way for the new and exciting products and colors.
    It’s the least we can do when retiring such an appreciated design. I’m glad you’re getting good use out of your Large Cafe Bag, and thanks for your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    Love the debut!!! The Luminary looks terrific! The hard part will be deciding on a color combo. And I really like the Cubelet! I'm a sucker for pouches/cubes of all sizes! And the Pouchkins....are adorable!!! So many uses. Thank you TB Team!!!!!!
    I’m glad you’re as excited about everything as we are! Side note on the names: we realized that calling those new items “Organizer Pouches” would be too confusing, so Tom came up with the name “Pouchkin” and Nik came up with the name “Cubelet”.

Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    I needed the luminary earlier this year when I broke my foot and couldn't use a purse but my s25 was way too big and my daylight backpack wasn't exactly what I wanted.
    Ow! Hope your foot is healing up well.

Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    Are there samples of the Luminary and the Stowaway available at the factory store? I'm making a trip to Seattle son and would love to stop by!
    Yes, both. Also: samples of the Synapses and Cafe Bags in the new 525d and 210d ballistic fabrics. None of the bags are available for sale, but they're there for viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by kschles View Post
    Also sad to hear about the large cafe bag retirement. It's my favorite, and I use it as an EDC (I have three...black for fall/winter, sand for spring/summer, and steel for a small camera bag). Glad Tom Bihn bags last forever. Ended up ordering some cubelets (need organization), 2 caps, and a redesigned parental unit (PU). I know the PU was redesigned earlier. I had gotten one a year ago or so. Liked it, but the top zipper not opening all the way really bugged me. Ended up giving it away. The new design sounds great...very functional.
    I’d love to know what you think of the new PU when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    @darcy...would it be possible to get a back view also? Thanks!
    Where were you a couple of hours ago when I took those photos?! It’s a good idea. Maybe we can grab a few more photos later this week.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @darcy could you double check the metric weights listed on the S25 page? I just looked at them again and I could have sworn they just changed after my exchange with @moriond —now two of them have the same metric weight but different imperial weights.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Cristina -- they didn't change, but the 525d weight in grams isn't correct -- it should be listed as 930g. We're fixing that now.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the alphaviolet/viridian combo on the S19. It is so 1980s!! Summer 2017 Debut!Summer 2017 Debut!

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where were you a couple of hours ago when I took those photos?! It’s a good idea. Maybe we can grab a few more photos later this week.

Thank you!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Darcy! I've had to stop myself from adding every single shade of Cubelet to my cart, so it will be exciting to see them all in person.

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, and I think the new productions are geared up for all the new fabrics because they are new -- I'm certainly hoping that Halcyon is not going away. Maybe Darcy can comment.

moriond
    Everyone of my bags are made of halcyon material. I love that fabric! I noticed even the shopping bags are now made of the new ballistic fabric. Fingers crossed that halcyon isn't going away😭

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast