Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I'm happy to see the new colors, and also confused because I thought we'd been told that ballistic nylon can't easily be dyed lighter colors. Is that not true anymore?

(Viridian in particular looks great! And I'm happy these are all ballistic, with its lower attraction of pet hair.)
    @aedifica,

I'm not sure about the distinction with traditional Ballistic nylon, which is harder to work with, but reading the Materials page description for the new materials yields this additional line:
    This fabric is woven and finished in South Korea with Invista Cordura® yarns from Canada.
    So, regardless of the base Ballistic core, something is different about the fabrication of this new material. In some very old forum posts Tom commented about wanting to work with a kind of hybrid between Ballistic Nylon and Cordura. I don't know whether he might have been anticipating something like this.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Luminary and so glad that I didn't get the Daylight Backpack in my previous order Big Grin ! Can it fit a Surface Pro? And is there a comparison between the new Mars Red 525 vs the Red Blend Cordura? Red Blend seems like a deeper shade of red to me which is what I prefer.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cubelets sound so cute and useful!!! Are there any plans to make organiser pouches in the new 210 or 525d ballistic?!

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed the Synapse 3000 onsale Wink I settled on buying gorgeous colors and materials. Love love love the colors!

Any chance the new materials will be used for qkits?
    Last edited by TRD; 06-27-2017 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Qkit question!

CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the stowaway. But it would have been nice if it had zipper for rolling luggage. Perhaps that defeats the purpose of the stowaway but I've been looking for something bigger than the pilot and smaller than the empire builder (both which I have).

I think you guys still get my money though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Side Effect Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Aeronaut 45 Burnt Orange/Steel
    Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Laundry Stuff Stack Aeronaut 45 Wasabi
    Vertical Freudian Slip Synapse 25
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    RFID Passport Pouch Iberian
    Spiff Kit Deluxe Northwest Sky Halcyon 200
    Synapse 19 Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    I like the stowaway. But it would have been nice if it had zipper for rolling luggage. Perhaps that defeats the purpose of the stowaway but I've been looking for something bigger than the pilot and smaller than the empire builder (both which I have).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great idea! A zipper for rolling luggage is big welcome. I wonder why such important feature being left out.

Same here. I'd been waiting for a Daylight Briefcase size and with Empire Builder depth and its organization feature. I called it Mini Empire Builder. The Stowaway manage to fit to the say Mini Empire Builder but I am a bit hesitated with its real depth. Although it looks thick, I'm afraid that multi-compartment eats away and resulted smaller compartments.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post

This is about exactly where I am ...

I was hoping for something larger and more able to accommodate non flat rectangular things in the 15-20L range. My pilot is my "stowaway" and for me a much more versatile travel bag in that it appears to like "blockier" things better ... the stowaway would have to replace the Pilot and while it may make a better briefcase bag, for me it doesn't appear to be a better travel bag. I'll have to do a close inspection.

I'm disappointed in the potential (and only perceived?) trend away from halcyon - to be blunt, if it weren't for halcyon I wouldn't buy Tom Bihn.

It's unique to Tom and really feels like a special fabric. I've probably facilitated the sale of at least 20 bags purely due to this fabric ... ballistic holds no interest for me as there are plenty of competitors with this fabric and, for me, it would eliminate much of the specialness of the bag. I get that 525 might seem like the BNT (big new thing) but for me it seems kinda like the difference between shades of white.

All of that said, I believe I'm not in Tom's core demographic so this post is likely the lone voice during a typhoon.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 06-27-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be possible to see the Stowaway in backpack mode on some more people, especially petite? It looks fairly long when split for backpack mode. Love that you included a variety of side shots of the Luminary on different body shapes.

I, too, wish Stowaway had an easy way to use with rolling luggage. A zipper inside the back panel so it could slide over a luggage handle with two end zippers open? Or a short wide strap with slide to clip to the shoulder strap points and through the back loop handle to prevent it from sliding around the luggage handle poles when sitting on top or short wide strap to hang it down the front (lower center of gravity).

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloud/Cloud? I think that’s the first same exterior/same interior color combination we’ve ever offered.
    I have a steel/steel Pilot that I traded for, but that's the only time I've seen matching colors before. Looking forward to the cloud/cloud luminary. The neutral colors will make accessorize-ing so much fun.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Great idea! A zipper for rolling luggage is big welcome. I wonder why such important feature being left out.
    Hi @weirdguy,

I don't know if I am in a position to really comment on this, since I haven't used rolling luggage in a long time.

However, I recall someone sharing with me back in the day that rather than placing bags on the telescoping handle, it is better to attach them to the front of the rolling bag using a strap or hook -- this avoids stress on the telescoping handle.

I know that at least some rolling suitcases feature a strap. Some have hooks, or hooks you can add on. I have also noticed airline crew pulling their smaller bag on their rolling suitcase in this manner.

The other advantage of this approach is that it accommodates any bag with a top handle -- briefcases and backpacks.

Perhaps telescoping handle designs have been updated to handle the load of bags riding on top. But it still doesn't hurt to attach the bag you are towing via a strap or hook below.
    Attached Images Attached Images Summer 2017 Debut!-baghook-jpg 
    -m

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also. LOVE the color naming scheme. Would enjoy hearing the story behind that. Did it evolve from the concept of "Mars-capable" travel gear?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Hi @weirdguy,

I don't know if I am in a position to really comment on this, since I haven't used rolling luggage in a long time.

However, I recall someone sharing with me back in the day that rather than placing bags on the telescoping handle, it is better to attach them to the front of the rolling bag using a strap or hook -- this avoids stress on the telescoping handle.

I know that at least some rolling suitcases feature a strap. Some have hooks, or hooks you can add on. I have also noticed airline crew pulling their smaller bag on their rolling suitcase in this manner.

The other advantage of this approach is that it accommodates any bag with a top handle -- briefcases and backpacks.

Perhaps telescoping handle designs have been updated to handle the load of bags riding on top. But it still doesn't hurt to attach the bag you are towing via a strap or hook below.
    Appreciate your suggestion. I think I could find the Accessories locally to allow that.
    In the past, I don't usually use Roller Luggage too. Just Tom Bihn combination this and that. My wife and I even manage to improvise packing for 10-12 days travel, to meet maximum carry-on weight. However, time is different. I recently has a newborn and it is very hard to keep packing to the allow carry-on weight. Plus, I wouldn't wish to carry so many things while I have to look after a newborn. Since I am check-in my baggage, I might as well use Roller and do not need worry about anything.

Just saying, if the feature is built-in, it will be convenience. I don't have to worry about not bringing the accessories or spend extra. I could even put onto my friend/sibling roller luggage, shall I am traveling with them. Just one less to worry and be carefree.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like how the Luminary and Stowaway debuted. There's all the excitement of a product announcement, but then there's time to think. It's nice to be able to review the official TB and Mod's descriptions and photos.

For me, I choose a color based in part on how I am going to use the bag. Do I want the bag to be more businesslike/conservative/stealthy? More fun/expressive/stand out in a sea of black-y? Does the bag need to match or not clash with certain clothing? How big is the bag (some colors I only like in small doses)? It's also great to be able to see colors in real life, so I ordered some pouches. If there's a fabric choice, how important is weight? (This issue wasn't relevant with this debut, but it matters on the Aeronaut Ballistic vs Halcyon choice). Can I afford multiple versions of the same bag? (Many people have multiple Side Effects for example). All this is a long way to say that I like to think about bag color!

So far I've changed my mind of the color I want for the Luminary 3 times...and it's only been 24 hours since the launch. So I'm really appreciating this time to percolate between launch and order.

Also, I really really really liked Darcy's post that started this thread. We knew it all! I've gone back and re-read that post several times. Once was to review the expected ship dates of the new items. Another time was to review the colors, to think which ones are external colors vs internal lining colors. Any time I had a question I thought "Darcy told us that..." and went back to the post.

So I'm feeling happy and hope others are too!
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I like the announcement and product reveal being separate from the ability to actually order. The Luminary and Stowaway both look like awesome bags, but I'm not sure which one I'm going to buy.

I love that the relatively inexpensive cubelettes were available immediately though. They're very cute and I picked up a couple in my favorite colors (which also happen to be two of the colors I'm looking at for the new bag I'd order).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    Any chance the new materials will be used for qkits?
    I asked Kat this question yesterday and her response was likely not because the Q-kits need the thicker ballistic fabric in order to hold their shape, but then again, you never know. I would love to see Q-kits in these new colors because I really don't want one in the current colors.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast