Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip Owens: Tom Bihn Saved Me Twice In The Same Trip

"When we awoke at dawn we went back to the tent remains to scavenge what what left and under the heap of tent was my Tom Bihn Tri-Star face down in 3 inches of water."

Tom Bihn Saved Me Twice In The Same Trip ? 1WaySwim

What a cool story!
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @mrbrown,

Your reference post reminded me of some discussions in a post I made (#6) in an older thread that asked What type of rain cover should I use with the Aeronaut?

While my fondest memories were of the YouTube video that @Zephyrnoid made of taking his Aeronaut in to the shower with him, it's probably more relevant to point you to the Fascinating blog on travel, using the Aeronaut thread. That thread links to a travel blog, and includes a quote with the Zanzibar Ferry episode when the Aeronaut got dropped into the Indian Ocean, and the hard drive that was packed in the dropped bag still worked when it was fished out later and tested.

HTH

moriond

ETA: Fixed typo in link to travel blog thread. (The title of the thread contained square brackets, so the automatic name link generation for the URL failed to work as expected).
    Last edited by moriond; 07-01-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@moriond:

It also reminded me of the time I was in two hours of torrential rain with my Synapse 19, shooting the funeral of our first Prime Minister. I was under a shared umbrella at the time but then S19 carrying my gear was pretty much drenched with rain in no time.

I checked later, after I got home. The stuff inside, camera lenses and a spare body, were dry. Amazing.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar story to share. Two days ago I was walking home from the train station when one drop of rain fell on my head. I thought, "uh oh", looked up, and the heavens opened, releasing a torrential rain and wind.

I have a closet-ful of umbrellas already, so I refused to buy another one, opting instead to walk the mile home, hoping the Synapse would protect my computer, phone and the bullet journal I'd invested a month in. To be safe I ducked into a doorway and made sure everything was wrapped up as much as possible.

When I got home 15 minutes later the interior of the backpack was dry and my things were fine. There seemed to be a tiny amount of water in the front pocket, but I can't be sure it wasn't from me opening the zipper and re-adjusting things in the rain.

Skip Owens: Tom Bihn Saved Me Twice In The Same Trip-soakedsynapse-jpg
    Last edited by bchaplin; 06-29-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip Owens: Tom Bihn Saved Me Twice In The Same Trip

Seems to be a trend...I was driving home when I was hit with a massive thunderstorm. My S19 was in the back of my truck with a LSB and a SSB. Although I have a bed cover, it somehow unlatched itself and I didn't know this until 45 minutes later. The contents of the shop bags were toast but my MacBook Air, which was in a cache in the S19 was completely dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MrBrown, I remember that day very well. I flew from UK to pay my last respect.

Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkh View Post
    MrBrown, I remember that day very well. I flew from UK to pay my last respect.
    Etched into the national psyche, I think. I spent the entire week of national mourning shooting photos. I wanted to leave something behind for my kids to remember The Old Man by.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm going to jump into this thread to also thank the TB crew for saving me on Friday, when I got caught in a massive downpour on my walk to work. I was utterly and completely drenched (I squeezed water out of my pants and shirt into the sink and fashioned a makeshift sarong out of some fabric used for packing stuff), but everything inside my Side Kick was bone dry. Thank you for saving my notebooks, iPad, and phone! Had I been carrying some canvas tote or the like, I'm not confident the outcome would have been as good.