Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    10 days in Europe: 2 Amazing Tom Bihn Bags

    After agonizing over limitless choices on the Tom Bihn website I finally decided to go with the Aeronaut 30 & Synapse 25 - both in black halcyon / northwest sky with red zipper pulls added on - for my upcoming trip to Europe (July 7th-17th - Ibiza, Mallorca, & Stockholm). Both of these bags are AMAZING. I'm going to post a full review of both bags after my trip as well as a shot of my clothes, toiletries, packing cubes, etc. once I pack but I just wanted to share some brief comments:

    * I absolutely love the black halcyon fabric. It looks really professional and will look great for both business & personal travel and it's so lightweight yet feels incredibly durable.

    * It seems like such a small thing but the red zipper pulls really improve the overall aesthetic of both bags.

    * I had a really tough time deciding between the Synapse 19 & 25 so I ordered both. I ultimately decided to send back the S19 because I think the S25 looks more proportional on my 6 foot, 160 lb frame & also I was starting to get "space anxiety" (kind of like getting range anxiety in a Tesla) with the S19. The S25 fits so much more stuff - yet I agree with other posters that it's totally stealth when it's underpacked (it doesn't look big at all). I think the S19 would be a great daily carry at home if you're trying to stay as minimalistic as possible.

    I can't say enough good things about the TB brand - I keep rambling about the company to any of my friends who will listen and I plan on posting the full review - as well as reviews on some other sweet travel gear on my instagram page if anyone is interested - @minimalishtraveler.

    All the best,

    Josh10 days in Europe: 2 Amazing Tom Bihn Bags-tb-jpg
    Last edited by JoshuaKM; 07-01-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Current TB bags: Aeronaut 30 (black halcyon / northwest sky), Synapse 25 (black halcyon / northwest sky)
    Current TB accessories: aether packing cubes, 3D clear organizer, 3D fabric organizer, small snake charmer, luggage tag, red cord pulls

    Follow my new instagram page for honest reviews on travel gear & top resorts: @minimalishtraveler

    Next trip: Ibiza / Mallorca / Stockholm (July 7th-17th, 2017)

  2. #2
    Forum Member skoobdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Arizona
    Posts
    86
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
    After agonizing over limitless choices on the Tom Bihn website I finally decided to go with the Aeronaut 30 & Synapse 25 - both in black halcyon / northwest sky with red zipper pulls added on - for my upcoming trip to Europe (July 7th-17th - Ibiza, Mallorca, & Stockholm). Both of these bags are AMAZING. I'm going to post a full review of both bags after my trip as well as a shot of my clothes, toiletries, packing cubes, etc. once I pack but I just wanted to share some brief comments:

    * I absolutely love the black halcyon fabric. It looks really professional and will look great for both business & personal travel and it's so lightweight yet feels incredibly durable.

    * It seems like such a small thing but the red zipper pulls really improve the overall aesthetic of both bags.

    * I had a really tough time deciding between the Synapse 19 & 25 so I ordered both. I ultimately decided to send back the S19 because I think the S25 looks more proportional on my 6 foot, 160 lb frame & also I was starting to get "space anxiety" (kind of like getting range anxiety in a Tesla) with the S19. The S25 fits so much more stuff - yet I agree with other posters that it's totally stealth when it's underpacked (it doesn't look big at all). I think the S19 would be a great daily carry at home if you're trying to stay as minimalistic as possible.

    I can't say enough good things about the TB brand - I keep rambling about the company to any of my friends who will listen and I plan on posting the full review - as well as reviews on some other sweet travel gear on my instagram page if anyone is interested - @minimalishtraveler.

    All the best,

    Josh10 days in Europe: 2 Amazing Tom Bihn Bags-tb-jpg
    Love halcyon! Those are gorgeous 😍

    Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,637
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, those red zipper pulls really make the bags. Plus, it's very obvious which ones are yours. No guessing, or accidental taking.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    9
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered the same s25 but I chose Iberian. I also chose the Iberian cord pulls like you! Just put them on my bag and like them a lot! Can't wait to read your review. I really want to order the Aeronaut as well!!!

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    18
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the S25 at the moment, which I've been using as my everyday bag as well as for weekend trips (just got back from a weekend in Munich). I am thinking about getting an Aeronaut, still not 100% sure about the 45 vs the 30.
    How much more can you get in the A30 over the S25? With the way I tend to pack for things I think the 45 might be the best option for me.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone!

    Just got back from my 10 day trip to Europe ... I had an amazing time. Sweden & Spain are incredible countries to visit. I posted some pictures on my instagram travel blog (@minimalishtraveler) & I'll probably post some more pics once I get over my jet lag.

    I ultimately decided to bring my new Synapse 25 & my 22 inch Travel Pro carry-on roller bag. I actually could fit all my stuff in my S25 & my Aeronaut 30 but at the last minute I decided to put essentially all of my clothes & shoes in the roller bag.

    I loved, loved, loved the S25. It's the perfect carry-on bag for my travel needs. I kept the backpack extremely light - just carrying the essentials for international air travel (main compartment: merino wool sweater in a halcyon packing cube & an iPad Pro in a cache), (front bottom pocket: small snake charmer for all of my cables), front side pockets (3D organizer cube for meds & toiletries and a small stuff sack for protein bars), & a hydroflask in the water bottle pocket.

    I was really glad that I brought a roller bag especially when I was navigating my way through the larger airports. I know this contradicts the romantic one-bag philosophy but as a physician I just think it's safer to carry as light a load on your back as possible - unless you're going hiking in the wilderness or heading into remote areas of the world where it would be difficult to pull a wheeled bag.

    Anyways I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the S25 or about anything else related to international travel. I may upgrade my roller to a Rimowa at some point ... just trying to stomach the $ 650 price tag.

    Best,

    Josh
    Current TB bags: Aeronaut 30 (black halcyon / northwest sky), Synapse 25 (black halcyon / northwest sky)
    Current TB accessories: aether packing cubes, 3D clear organizer, 3D fabric organizer, small snake charmer, luggage tag, red cord pulls

    Follow my new instagram page for honest reviews on travel gear & top resorts: @minimalishtraveler

    Next trip: Ibiza / Mallorca / Stockholm (July 7th-17th, 2017)

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    The Carolinas
    Posts
    155
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
    Hey everyone!

    Just got back from my 10 day trip to Europe ... I had an amazing time. Sweden & Spain are incredible countries to visit. I posted some pictures on my instagram travel blog (@minimalishtraveler) & I'll probably post some more pics once I get over my jet lag.

    I ultimately decided to bring my new Synapse 25 & my 22 inch Travel Pro carry-on roller bag. I actually could fit all my stuff in my S25 & my Aeronaut 30 but at the last minute I decided to put essentially all of my clothes & shoes in the roller bag.

    I loved, loved, loved the S25. It's the perfect carry-on bag for my travel needs. I kept the backpack extremely light - just carrying the essentials for international air travel (main compartment: merino wool sweater in a halcyon packing cube & an iPad Pro in a cache), (front bottom pocket: small snake charmer for all of my cables), front side pockets (3D organizer cube for meds & toiletries and a small stuff sack for protein bars), & a hydroflask in the water bottle pocket.

    I was really glad that I brought a roller bag especially when I was navigating my way through the larger airports. I know this contradicts the romantic one-bag philosophy but as a physician I just think it's safer to carry as light a load on your back as possible - unless you're going hiking in the wilderness or heading into remote areas of the world where it would be difficult to pull a wheeled bag.
    Josh, thanks for the update. As for using a rolling suitcase, did you have any second thoughts at all during your trip and wish you'd've taken a backpack instead? Did you only take the suitcase from airport to cab to hotel?

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @ThomGault - I actually have zero regrets about bringing a rolling bag on my trip - I actually loved the convenience of having a carry-on rolling bag because (1) it's so easy to run quickly through the airport with the majority of your stuff on wheels & (2) you can put your Tom Bihn personal item right on top of the rolling bag (in my case the Synapse 25). And yes to answer your question I would always just take the roller from the airport to cab to hotel.

    I actually liked bringing a rolling bag so much that I am thinking about either buying the new Arlo Skye rolling international carry-on or a Rimowa Salsa Deluxe - I really wish TB made a roller because these companies charge a lot for these items (~$500-600).

    One thing that I wish I had was a smaller bag than the Synapse 25 for carrying during the day - like a co-pilot or pilot. I love my Synapse 25 to pieces for staying organized on the airplane but due to its size I would typically leave it in the hotel room.

    I hope that helps! I think the method of carrying your stuff comes down to personal preference but I can't think of an easier way to do it than a wheeled carry-on / TB personal item combo.
    Current TB bags: Aeronaut 30 (black halcyon / northwest sky), Synapse 25 (black halcyon / northwest sky)
    Current TB accessories: aether packing cubes, 3D clear organizer, 3D fabric organizer, small snake charmer, luggage tag, red cord pulls

    Follow my new instagram page for honest reviews on travel gear & top resorts: @minimalishtraveler

    Next trip: Ibiza / Mallorca / Stockholm (July 7th-17th, 2017)

  9. #9
    Forum Member TRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Share
    Southern California
    Posts
    368
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    10 days in Europe: 2 Amazing Tom Bihn Bags

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
    Hey @ThomGault - I actually have zero regrets about bringing a rolling bag on my trip - I actually loved the convenience of having a carry-on rolling bag because (1) it's so easy to run quickly through the airport with the majority of your stuff on wheels & (2) you can put your Tom Bihn personal item right on top of the rolling bag (in my case the Synapse 25). And yes to answer your question I would always just take the roller from the airport to cab to hotel.
    I do this as well. If I'm packing ultralight for a weekend or something I can do Daylight backpack and a sidekick inside a PCSB for a carry-on without issue. If I'm packing for a trip I take a rolling carry-on and am grateful for the wheels.

    If you felt the S25 was a bit much for everyday carry on your trip definitely consider the Halcyon Daylight Backpack. What you lose in pockets is easily remedied with TB accessories and fantastic ultralight construction.
    Last edited by TRD; 07-25-2017 at 05:01 AM. Reason: typo fix

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    155
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
    I may upgrade my roller to a Rimowa at some point ... just trying to stomach the $ 650 price tag.
    I am extremely happy with my Rimowas: I have a very small one (Rimowa Business Trolley; approx. 25L) and then a carry-on compliant one (Salsa Multiwheel 47). I love them, and I'd say if you like Tom Bihn quality, then Rimowa is your rolling brand. Even though I didn't go with the super lightweight Salsa Air models, they are still so light. They don't have extraneous featured I don't need (i.e., built-in USB chargers). What I like about the two bags I have is that they are more or less empty shells, and I use my TB packing cubes and other stuff sacks for organization. No pockets or suiters taking up space and adding weight. Before buying the first Rimowa, I borrowed my partner's Briggs & Riley (the bag that otherwise everybody seems to love) and I hated it. Too heavy, too much going on. I really missed my Aeronaut and cursed my cranky neck and weak shoulders on that trip!

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    The Carolinas
    Posts
    155
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
    Hey @ThomGault - I actually have zero regrets about bringing a rolling bag on my trip - I actually loved the convenience of having a carry-on rolling bag because (1) it's so easy to run quickly through the airport with the majority of your stuff on wheels & (2) you can put your Tom Bihn personal item right on top of the rolling bag (in my case the Synapse 25). And yes to answer your question I would always just take the roller from the airport to cab to hotel.

    One thing that I wish I had was a smaller bag than the Synapse 25 for carrying during the day - like a co-pilot or pilot. I love my Synapse 25 to pieces for staying organized on the airplane but due to its size I would typically leave it in the hotel room.

    I hope that helps! I think the method of carrying your stuff comes down to personal preference but I can't think of an easier way to do it than a wheeled carry-on / TB personal item combo.
    @JoshuaKM I understand your preference for the roller bag. We just have different preferences/applications; I usually have my bag while I'm traveling around in the city from location to location, so rollers aren't great for my use (and I try to one-bag), but, like you said, if you're just going from airplane to taxi to hotel, and have all flat surfaces, rollers (and multiple bags) can be used. Different strokes for different folks

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    @JoshuaKM I understand your preference for the roller bag. We just have different preferences/applications; I usually have my bag while I'm traveling around in the city from location to location, so rollers aren't great for my use (and I try to one-bag), but, like you said, if you're just going from airplane to taxi to hotel, and have all flat surfaces, rollers (and multiple bags) can be used. Different strokes for different folks
    Hey @ThomGault I couldn't agree more - there are so many different bags for so many different ways to travel. One of my best friends loves to one-bag and swears by that method of carry. I made great strides on my last trip to cut down on the amount of clothes/gear that I packed for the trip ... hopefully I can get more and more minimalist on each trip ... my girlfriend on the other hand ....
    Current TB bags: Aeronaut 30 (black halcyon / northwest sky), Synapse 25 (black halcyon / northwest sky)
    Current TB accessories: aether packing cubes, 3D clear organizer, 3D fabric organizer, small snake charmer, luggage tag, red cord pulls

    Follow my new instagram page for honest reviews on travel gear & top resorts: @minimalishtraveler

    Next trip: Ibiza / Mallorca / Stockholm (July 7th-17th, 2017)

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    15
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the A30 last year for a trip to Italy and, after a serious talk with myself and a reality check, realized that a bag with wheels would work better for me. I thanked the universe everyday for changing my mind as there was NO way I could have traipsed around Italy with 10 days worth of stuff on my back.

    I had such a hard time returning that Aeronuat though because it was beautiful. And I wanted it...badly. But I couldn't justify keeping it. If I'm taking a trip lengthy enough to require a suitcase, it has to b on wheels.

  14. #14
    Forum Member Perseffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    835
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel that nowadays travel blogs can be divisive about carry v roll with the rollers asking why you are mad to carry everything by yourself. And the carriers asking why you'd want the incumbency of a clunky inflexible box on wheels.

    But as has been pointed out, different environments for different bags. For an extreme example, if you go mountaineering you'd probably get a mountaineering pack, not an Aeronaut or a Rimowa.

    Anyway, I have a Tristar and a 20 inch Samsonite DLX-4 2 wheeled roller. Both are business luggage. Both hold similar amounts. But I'll chop and change between them as the trip demands.

    All airports, taxis and hotels? then rolling is easy. Navigating the city or public/mixed transportation?, always the Tristar for ease of manoeuvrability.

    I couldn't live with just one of them and they get used about 50/50 for work travel. And I don't want one bag pretending to do both things (as it will do them both badly).

    The right tools for the right job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

  15. #15
    Forum Member skoobdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Arizona
    Posts
    86
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I feel that nowadays travel blogs can be divisive about carry v roll with the rollers asking why you are mad to carry everything by yourself. And the carriers asking why you'd want the incumbency of a clunky inflexible box on wheels.

    But as has been pointed out, different environments for different bags. For an extreme example, if you go mountaineering you'd probably get a mountaineering pack, not an Aeronaut or a Rimowa.

    Anyway, I have a Tristar and a 20 inch Samsonite DLX-4 2 wheeled roller. Both are business luggage. Both hold similar amounts. But I'll chop and change between them as the trip demands.

    All airports, taxis and hotels? then rolling is easy. Navigating the city or public/mixed transportation?, always the Tristar for ease of manoeuvrability.

    I couldn't live with just one of them and they get used about 50/50 for work travel. And I don't want one bag pretending to do both things (as it will do them both badly).

    The right tools for the right job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. There's a bag for every job. I know that for a fact, and that's why I own so many10 days in Europe: 2 Amazing Tom Bihn Bags
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •