Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question for those of you who have seen "Cloud" in person

The pictures of Cloud on the website, for example the Luminary, show what I would call a very light grey. In Ilka's shop bag post, she has a bunch of swatches and the Cloud there looks like more of a medium grey.

How would you describe the color?

I'm asking because I'm leaning towards getting the Luminary in Cloud when it becomes available, but I'm concerned that it is so light that it will show dirt too easily.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    The pictures of Cloud on the website, for example the Luminary, show what I would call a very light grey. In Ilka's shop bag post, she has a bunch of swatches and the Cloud there looks like more of a medium grey.

How would you describe the color?

I'm asking because I'm leaning towards getting the Luminary in Cloud when it becomes available, but I'm concerned that it is so light that it will show dirt too easily.
    Hi @sturbridge,

The web page images of the Luminary tend to show things too light. @Ilkyway's colors in the Shop Bags in knew colours and materials thread are more accurate, but all of the new 525d Ballistic Nylon fabrics have a kind of sheen to them that is a combination of the fibers being smaller in diameter than 1050d Ballistic Nylon (hence giving an overall flatter surface to reflect from than the heavier weight ballistic nylon), and the more reflective spun and extruded Ballistic Nylon fiber compared to Cordura fabric.

I'll try to post a few pictures that are on my iPhone (but I don't do as good a job as @Ilkyway in color balance):

Here's a comparison picture of the Small Cafe Bag in Cloud/Cloud (new 525d and 210d Ballistic Nylon) on the left with the Small Cafe Bag in Grey Cordura on the right:
    A question for those of you who have seen "Cloud" in person-img_3312-jpg

Even though the daylight illumination is not direct enough to see the more reflective surface, you can tell that the bumps and wiggles in the empty Cafe bag are more evident in the Cloud ballistic nylon, because the surface has more of a sheen. @tpnl described even the black 525d ballistic nylon as being "satiny" rather than matte. In the lighter colors you get a more luminescent tone.

This was an attempt to show the colors of a Mars Red Synapse 25 (with Cloud lining). I was having trouble with the color balance in the reds (under late afternoon lighting, so it's easier to show the red comparison with small color swatches, but this is not a bad representation of the Cloud color in the Small Cafe Bag. I'll just state that the Mars Red is a darker tone than either the earlier Crimson or Cardinal Ballistic Nylon, but matches better to Iberian Halcyon and the shade of the Cloud for the interior lining. It's hard to distinguish the colors of red in this picture (which is why I wasn't going to post it for the red comparison), but the bag just under the Cafe Bag is a Swift with Cardinal Ballistic Nylon, the slightly lighter color bag below it is my Crimson Ballistic Nylon Lux bag (Swift predecessor) from 2006. Overlying that is a Crimson 500d Cordura Organizer Pouch, and to the left are the brightest reds of all, associated with the Nylon First Aid Pouch and its double pouchkin -- all lying around the Mars Red Synapse 25

A question for those of you who have seen "Cloud" in person-img_3314-jpg

This is a better color comparison of the reds with small swatches from the backs of pouches.

A question for those of you who have seen "Cloud" in person-img_3313-jpg

From left to right Cardinal 1050d Ballistic Nylon, Crimson 500d Cordura, Red Nylon First Aid Pouchkin, Iberian Halcyon, Mars Red 525d Ballistic Nylon Swatch. Above the Mars Red Swatch are Cloud 210d Ballistic Nylon overlying a corner hint of Cloud 525d Ballistic Nylon. (No Crimson Ballistic Nylon because I only have that in large bags).

HTH

moriond

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, that was helpful!
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting. That Mars Red has been making my heart happy ... ever since my cubelet arrived. Now I am sold on the Cloud lining.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos, @moriond

And @sturbridge -- if you'd like, we can mail you a swatch of Cloud. Just emailus@tombihn.com
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question for those of you who have seen "Cloud" in person

I think Cloud is really close to NW Sky. Because of the sheen, it is hard to capture, but I would say it is neither lighter nor darker than NWS.

ETA: the left swatch is 525, the right hand one is 210, both on a NWS shop bag