Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote for A30. My wife and I each packed an A30 for a 17-day Europe trip. She was beside herself that she couldn't fit more of her junk...er, stuff, into the bag and was constantly concerned about items she was forced to leave behind. Then we drove to the airport...and she was complaining about the weight before we even got on the plane. (She's about your size.)
    As most others have said, the extra room in an A45 provides security, but if you intend to actually wear it, you'll regret it.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am three inches taller than you, and also heavier. Here is me carrying my A30:
    I can't make a decision - Aeronaut size and colour - please help!-img_2665-1-jpg

I have both the A45 (steel ballistic) and A30 (black ballistic). I've carried both bags lot of places, and in every carrying configuration. I would definitely suggest the A30 for you, and I love the steel color, so if you think you'd like it go for that.

If you're staying in each city for 2-3 weeks, you'll have time to do laundry regularly, and to pick up things like toiletries at the local pharmacy. That way, you won't have to carry more than the minimum as you move between cities. I think you'll be able to fit what you need in the A30, while the A45 would just wind up being to bulky and heavy.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are all so helpful! Thank you so much for the feedback.

I think you've all convinced me to go with the A30. Kathryn, thanks so much for the photo - it's super useful. The A30 looks pretty big on you, and if you're 3 inches taller than me then I think the A45 will be just too much. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for mobility.
    I also think I'm going to go with the steel. Now I just gotta figure out the interior colour. Wasabi and Iberian are the current options.

Usually I would go for the green, but wasabi looks a bit washed out for me. I like deep greens. My side kick is verde, and I was worried that it would be too light but infact it's just rich enough. I know that wasabi is more green than it appears in photos but I think it's just too bright for me, and that it might not age well. Admittedly I have not seen it in person.

Weirdly, I do have a 3-1-1 bag in Iberian and I love it. I am definitely NOT a "red person" but iberian in real life is actually super nice.

So I'm going to sleep on it, and if it's still available in the morning I'm likely to order the A30 in Steel/Iberian. Wow! I'm so excited!

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katcalls View Post
    if it's still available in the morning I'm likely to order the A30 in Steel/Iberian. Wow! I'm so excited!
    Steel/Iberian is a great color combo! Admittedly I am not unbiased, as my Cadet and Western Flyer are both Steel/Iberian, but I think that is one of the sharpest pairings. :-)

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I re-read your question, but couldn't quite tell if the A30 or 45 would be the main bag you would take for an entire year? Or just a bag you would take for shorter jaunts with something else to hold the rest of your stuff. It seems like some of the recommendations were sounding like it would be a supplemental bag, rather than the main bag.
    A30-halcyon/UV,, S19-black halcyon/Island, SCB-Original halcyon/Wasabi, MCB-Halycon/Wasabi, SK-black halcyon/Island, SE-Aubergine/Wasabi, LS-Aubergine Fjord, shop bags and numerous bits and bobs in as many colors as i can rationalize

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sboussios View Post
    I re-read your question, but couldn't quite tell if the A30 or 45 would be the main bag you would take for an entire year? Or just a bag you would take for shorter jaunts with something else to hold the rest of your stuff. It seems like some of the recommendations were sounding like it would be a supplemental bag, rather than the main bag.
    I would say: if you're good for a week, you're good for a year. Smilie
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the A30.

I have both bags and the A45 is too big for any kind of mixed travel. Sure, you can tote it around, but you are always aware of the bag. This is true even if your A45 is in one of the lighter materials as mine is (and, btw, if you plan to under pack the bag it kinda sucks in the lighter materials because there isn't much fabric structure to keep the bag bag shaped).

The A45 also definitely does not class as carry on for a lot of airlines away from the US. Even under packed you might struggle to get it into the bag sizer for a budget european flight.

The A45 is a wonderful bag - I use mine every week, but in a car. For globe hopping away from the bellhop and limo circuit: I'd go A30

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I would say: if you're good for a week, you're good for a year. Smilie

Absolutely.

I mean, there might be exceptions, like jumping from Sydney mid summer to Chicago mid winter, but generally if a bag is big enough for a week then it is big enough full stop.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for the A30, a bag gets heavy awfully quick, especially if you'll be carrying it off and on for a year. If you're worried about room later on, you can ship things home. Also after spending 5weeks with a 30l bag Europe I found I mostly picked up small things anyway. Mostly postcards and keychains (I don't do souvenirs for other folks anymore except to mail them a postcard from the destination, puts an extra special twist when they receive it and it has a cool stamp too). I did buy 2 or 3 articles of clothing along the way but that was to replace things that were not working for me. Just going from the airport to our Paris apartment I was mentally making a list of things to ditch!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Alabama
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and bring a reusable tote. I brought an Eddie Bauer reusable tote and it was hands down the most useful thing I brought. I have a sea to summit backpack one as well but man do I love that Eddie Bauer one!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Just going from the airport to our Paris apartment I was mentally making a list of things to ditch!
    Are you saying the A30 was too heavy to carry through Paris? I'm planning on buying one for NYC trips.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Are you saying the A30 was too heavy to carry through Paris? I'm planning on buying one for NYC trips.
    The photo I posted of myself with my A30 above is on a day of much travel and walking:
    • Previous day: ran through Warsaw airport to catch a flight; missed it.
    • Previous day: got last flight from Warsaw to Vilnius, arriving past midnight, and took a taxi to my cousin's apartment.
    • Got up at 05:00 to catch a train to Telsiai (the town where the photo was taken), which is where my great-grandfather was born.
    • Walked all around Telsiai
    • Walked to bus station in Telsiai to catch a bus to Klaipeda
    • Walked from bus station in Klaipeda to the ferry port in Klaipeda
    • Took the ferry, and then caught another bus to Nida
    • Walked to hostel in Nida
    • Had a well-deserved beer Wink

It was a long day, and a busy one, but my A30 was just fine to carry with 2 weeks worth of clothes, etc.! You'll be all right, just don't pack bricks LOL Big Grin

ETA: Just checked my FitBit: 7.28 miles
    Last edited by kathryn; 07-14-2017 at 04:54 AM. Reason: wrong airport -_-

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sboussios - sorry if my post was ambiguous. I am looking just for the ONE bag I would use for the whole year. I'm also planning on getting a DLBP to supplement my sidekick. Oh, and melminimalist - thanks for the Eddie Bauer bag details. I have a black halcyon 400 shop bag that I really love that I was considering trying to bring along, as it's nice enough to look like sort of a purse/tote in places where I won't want to use the DLBP. But I'm not sure if the shop bag is too bulky when it's folded up. I'm going to have to take a look.

OK people! I've slept on it and I'm going to pull the trigger on an A30 Steel/Iberian now! *katcalls sucks in some air* Smilie

Forum Member
    Mississippi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call on the A30! I have had both and worried and worried when I got rid of the A45 to get an A30 to go to China. It has been totally worth it as long as I don't make it too heavy (which is a downfall of compression cubes). I packed a shop bag inside in case I needed it for anything and I was good to go.

I use my black halcyon shop bag as a purse often. It does tend to seem nice enough just about anywhere I go.

Can't wait to hear what you think of your A30!!!
    Black Halycon A30, MB and SE; French Blue 3DOC; Burnt Orange COW; Black SC; Iberian Dyneema DOP; NW Sky TT; northwest sky LSB; black halcyon SSB; wasabi passport pouch

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my A45 for about a decade now, if memory serves, and it's perfect for me. I could live out of it indefinitely, I believe--I've taken trips up to three weeks long using the A45 and an Ego for my briefcase. I typically take two changes of everything, plus a sweater/windbreaker/jacket depending on the weather, and wash as I go.

However, I'm 6'4" and weigh about 360 lbs. My clothes are sized to match, for example, I wear a 15EEE shoe. (I pack my spare shoes in the main compartment, as they don't fit in the side pockets.) And I use a full-size CPAP machine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast