Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it called the Luminary?

Someone asked this question in another thread (2017 wish list) but looks like it got lost.

Can you tell us about the name change from the Muse and what it means?
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A design in development sometimes, though not always, gets a “working title” assigned to it. Sometimes this is a sort-of a half-in-jest name that would never really be used, and sometimes it's a name we are considering but testing first to see how we like the sound of it. The name we end up using is what seems to fit in with the rest of our bag names, sounds right, and looks right in print.

In the case of the Luminary, its working title was the Muse. Tom, Nik, and I were discussing the backpack that was then called the Muse, and Muse, while a great name, just didn't seem to us to be a good match for this particular design. Tom came up with several possible other names, one of which was Luminary, and we all liked it even more than "Muse".

Tom actually has a note on his phone with a long list of possible bag names. Whenever he thinks of a new name, he adds to the list. It's a long list Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, so it just sounded cool. I was curious if it had a back story. Seems not to be the case for this item.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Oh, so it just sounded cool. I was curious if it had a back story. Seems not to be the case for this item.
    Yeah Smilie It totally seems like it should have a back story, doesn't it?! The name Stowaway came from Tom's big long phone list of bag names. Nik came up with Cubelet. And Tom came up with Pouchkin.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the name Muse better. It's easier to say. Oh, well.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, @Darcy, what other names are on that list??? Big Grin
    -m

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    So, @Darcy, what other names are on that list??? Big Grin
    I'm a bit sad that The Petit Badger didn't make the cut. Why is it called the Luminary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I'm a bit sad that The Petit Badger didn't make the cut. Why is it called the Luminary?

How do you know it didn't?

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    How do you know it didn't?

That's a good point. After all, we all know that "luminary" is a synonym for "Badger"...

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really LIKE the name Luminary! It makes sense, as the bag is innovative in lots of ways (side zippers and new shoulder straps, plus the very streamlined look to it and new materials), definitely makes using one ILLUMINATING!

I don't see this as a MUSE, MUSE tends to make me think of an art bag or bag for a writer.
    Last edited by anna2222; 07-20-2017 at 03:00 PM.