Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want small travel day bag/purse, can't decide!

Hello new friends! I need help. I'm looking for a SMALL travel day bag, preferably cross body. I obsessed over the SCB and between the SK and SE. Finally placed an order for halcyon original SCB and aubergine ballistic SK. (My new A45 is Aubergine and I'm in LOVE with this color!!!).

Bags arrived and… I love the SCB and I adore the original halcyon, however I can't get over the gapping at the top of the bag. I can easily get my hand into my bag with the flap clicked shut and I'm just not happy with an unsecure bag in high pickpocket areas (or even daily use with items able to fall out). I evaluated getting more organizer picked but am just not happy with that solution. So it's going back.

The SK is gorgeous in the Aubergine but wow this bag is so stiff and rigid. I feel like I'm very limited by what I can fit into it with the rigidity and all the pockets (which are great but also limiting). Will it loosen up over time? I wish I could get aubergine color in halcyon flexibility. Also I want to carry a water bottle but my water bottle doesn't fit into the SK at all, and the side lying position makes me nervous about leaking.

So… I desperately want a TB day bag but am at a loss. The water bottle is my deal breaker, though I'd rather have a small bag so maybe I can just pop into shops and buy water as needed (I'm not a fan of this idea but carrying around water does get very heavy especially in my hydroflask!).

I'm thinking of ordering a halcyon SK, assuming that it will be much lighter/more flexible than the ballistic. Also still super tempted by the SE but would definitely want halcyon as I can't imagine a bag that small in ballistic if I think the SK is too stiff. Also, I'm nervous about the strap on the SE with the o-rings/plastic ball attachments, are they pretty strong? I feel like someone could run by and snatch my bag easily. Any reassurance on that?

Also thinking of getting halcyon SK or SE and a small cafe bag and throwing water and jacket into the cafe bag if they are needed that day…

Thoughts? Sorry for the novel! I'm obsessed and my trip is less than 3 weeks away. Help Bihnions, I'm at a loss…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and lastly, the current halcyon SE are Nordic, not black… it seems like such a bright blue on the website but I saw this pic (borrowed, hope that's ok!) of a Nordic SE on the forums and it was stunning! Is this representative of the color?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few thoughts:

* Get a Freudian Slip for the Small Cafe Bag, and secure your things in the zippered areas. This is what I did with my passport when I used the SCB on a vacation once, and felt pretty safe. You can also make use of the O-rings to secure items; for instance, my wallet was in the zippered front pocket, attached with a keystrap. I really liked the SCB size-wise, because it held just enough, didn't get too heavy, and was always allowed in museums. I don't know if it would fit a water bottle with the FS inside though.

* Go with a packing cube shoulder bag**, which zippers completely. The Side Kick you already have can fit inside, along with a few additional items or pouches, or a water bottle. I'm considering this as my EDC for my next vacation. The only thing I DON'T like about it is that it can get a little heavy when packed full. Bonus: The PCSB is also usable as a packing cube.

** In all fairness, I should note that I stole this idea from @ceepee.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-17-2017 at 09:07 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    A few thoughts:

* Get a Freudian Slip for the Small Cafe Bag, and secure your things in the zippered areas. This is what I did with my passport when I used the SCB on a vacation once, and felt pretty safe. You can also make use of the O-rings to secure items; for instance, my wallet was in the zippered front pocket, attached with a keystrap. I really liked the SCB size-wise, because it held just enough, didn't get too heavy, and was always allowed in museums. I don't know if it would fit a water bottle with the FS inside though.

* Go with a packing cube shoulder bag, which zippers completely. The Side Kick you already have can fit inside, along with a few additional items or pouches, or a water bottle. I'm considering this as my EDC for my next vacation. The only thing I DON'T like about it is that it can get a little heavy when packed full. Bonus: The PCSB is also usable as a packing cube.
    I think I may have talked myself out of the SCB, but I will look into the FS and re-evaluate. And I love the idea of the PCSB with either SK or SE inside… will look into that. Thank you!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I take my sidekick and a water bottle, I usually just clip it onto the strap with a carabiner (generic branded one, doesn't have to be TB). Some of our water bottles have carabiner style lids that clip right on, or sometimes I'll just run the strap through the "loop" part of the water bottle lid.
    All those options seem to work pretty well for me (us), though they might not look all that streamlined

Yes, that photo of the Nordic blue bag is pretty indicative of the color, I think it looks a little darker in that photo than in real life but that could just be my computer screen.
    It's really a lovely color

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never kept the SE in Ballistic long enough to find out if it loosens up over time. I much prefer it in Halcyon or Parapack (no longer available). I lost my SK to my partner, who complained that her SE was too small for all the things she wanted to carry. I let her borrow the SK for a trip back in March and she has not returned it. We took a trip together in May to London and I opted to use my Steel Parapack SCB. Like @bchaplin, I secure things with key straps. Wallet goes in the zippered section, attached with a key strap. Small water bottle and other bits/bobs in the main section. Anything that might slide out gets attached to o-rings. If I'm not carrying a ton of stuff for the day, I can fit a jacket or scarf in there (usually in a TSS or Eagle Creek cube). I do plan on getting a new SK eventually (when they come out in the new Ballistic colors) as I like the internal organization much more than on the SCB (I want more pockets).

If you decide to go with the PCSB, it might help to go with a wider strap (e.g. Standard Strap), or better yet, the mini SOS strap (slimmer version of TB's Absolute Strap). It really does help ease the load.

That picture of Nordic is true of how it looks in sunlight. It's really pretty in the SK too. Good luck with your decision!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called and talked to Kat this morning. Very helpful! Now to decide what I'm looking for… forgot to ask about security/durability of SE strap. Anyone care to chime in?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @grellowgal, after your talk with Kat, which bag(s) have you decided on?

The SE is my go-everywhere bag, and I find the strap to be extremely durable. As for security, though, I know the strap's clip has inadvertently slipped off the exterior O-ring a couple of times since I started using the bag last spring. It's not something that actively concerns me, and it hasn't happened it quite awhile.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    @grellowgal, after your talk with Kat, which bag(s) have you decided on?

The SE is my go-everywhere bag, and I find the strap to be extremely durable. As for security, though, I know the strap's clip has inadvertently slipped off the exterior O-ring a couple of times since I started using the bag last spring. It's not something that actively concerns me, and it hasn't happened it quite awhile.
    Oh good to know, I was more concerned about a snatch and run, wondering if the plastic balls would snap.

I haven't decided yet! Got 90 min to make a decision. Want small travel day bag/purse, can't decide! Making lists and trying to envision how I expect to use the bag and go from there. I think my plan is to order a halcyon SK and SE and will return whatever doesn't seem right. Also planning on a shop bag (!). Leaning away from PCSB, only because of the colors. I normally LOVE color but for this trip to Europe (Amsterdam/Brussels/Bruges/Paris), I'd rather go subtle. An original black halcyon would be snapped up in a second if it was out there. Want small travel day bag/purse, can't decide!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grellowgal View Post
    Making lists and trying to envision how I expect to use the bag and go from there. I think my plan is to order a halcyon SK and SE and will return whatever doesn't seem right.
    If you haven't looked at it yet, this thread might help you envision various ways to use the SK. (I don't have one... yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if that changes within the week, as I've had my eye on that bag since its debut!)
    kindness is contagious.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    If you haven't looked at it yet, this thread might help you envision various ways to use the SK. (I don't have one... yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if that changes within the week, as I've had my eye on that bag since its debut!)
    Hi @grellowgal,

The start of the thread that @bermudajes linked to, which is titled The Side Kick a dream come true, also has comparison pictures of the relative sizes of the Side Kick, the Side Effect, and the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB) -- which @bchaplin included in her suggestions.

You're correct that they currently don't have the PCSB in the new Black or Nordic Halcyon. To see pictures of the PCSB worn, take a look at @anna2222's pictures in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag Strap Hack thread. That thread also contains my posted comment and link about using the 1" Shoulder Strap for the Side Kick with the PCSB or the Side Effect. This is my personal preference for the shoulder carrying the Side Effect in place of the default 5/8" wide strap.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have had all of these bags, in just about all of these fabrics, and have the same criteria as you (carrying an 18 oz Hydroflask is also a must for me!).

It's too bad that it sounds like you've ruled out a PCSB and ballistic SE, because that's the combo that I've found works best, with much trial and error. I put the SE inside the PCSB, and it provides structure, organization, and my water bottle stands upright right next to it.

Also, the SK in halcyon is definitely the way to go for that bag.

Have fun on your trip!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these: Itechzhu Sports Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle Double Wall Wide Mouth Leak Proof BPA-Free 12 OZ that I use with my black halcyon/ultraviolet Sidekick. It fits just fine and so far I have not noticed any leakage. I carry .75 liter Camelbak Chutes at work and in the car, but the Itechzhu is a handy companion to my EDC.
    Smile! People will wonder what you're up to!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes carry a 12 oz Hydro Flask bottle with flex cap upright in my Halcyon Side Kick. As long as the bag isn't packed too fully, it fits well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditmo View Post
    So I have had all of these bags, in just about all of these fabrics, and have the same criteria as you (carrying an 18 oz Hydroflask is also a must for me!).

It's too bad that it sounds like you've ruled out a PCSB and ballistic SE, because that's the combo that I've found works best, with much trial and error. I put the SE inside the PCSB, and it provides structure, organization, and my water bottle stands upright right next to it.

Oooooh snap! I'll keep that in mind for when a less bright PCSB comes out! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast