Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely upset at Mars Red!

It was another red, called Crimson, that brought me to TOM BIHN more than a decade a go. In a sea of mostly black bags, with perhaps a peppering of grey, there was this company in Port Angeles called TOM BIHN that was making bags out of 1000d Cordura and ballistic nylon. I didn't know anything at the time about 1000d Cordura, or what denier meant, or that not all ballistic nylon is the same. Moreover, when you thought ballistic nylon, you thought black -- at least, that's what all the other bag manufacturers thought. That's still what most bag makers thing. But these guys had colors like Crimson and Grape and Steel and Olive, to name a few.

Before gatekeeper clips, beofre Halcyon or Dyneema, before 525d or 210d ballistic nylon, before travel bags like the Aeronaut, before O-rings (yes, there was a time before O-rings), they had me at Crimson...they had me at Crimson.

It was a Crimson Smart Alec and a Crimson Monolith (like a Brain Cell, but with a zipper) that started this love affair.

Here we are, more than a decade later, and out comes Mars Red. I remember receiving the swatches of 525d and 210d ballistic nylon. I was thrilled at the huge selection of colors! They are all gorgeous, but but I didn't get a true sense of the wonder of Mars Red from just the swatch. My first real Mars Red experience was with the Cubelet. It looked so yummy, I wanted to eat it!

Then last week, the Mars Red Luminary and Small Cafe bags arrived, and I tell you I fell completely in love!

I think Mars Red connects with a heart that has matured slightly -- don't get any ideas, I am still an 8 year old trapped inside an aging body -- but the Mars Red connects with my heart now the way that Crimson connected back in the day.

So much so, that as I was driving this morning, I was thinking about looking for Mars Red t-shirts. And then thinking that my Luminary has a Cloud interior -- what if I could find Cloud colored hiking pants to go with the Mars Red t-shirts?

And then I ordered a red watch strap. Funnily enough, the manufacturer calls the color of the strap Crimson, but I am hoping that it will be close to Mars Red.

So this is why I am extremely upset at Mars Red! I was just fine, settling into a routine of black bags -- Black / Island was my preferred combination! I also like the Black / Coyote motif in the Road Duffel and Founder's Briefcase. And they are great, just like all of the other color combinations from TOM BIHN!

But Mars Red came along, and turned things completely upside down!

Edit: these lyrics from Dead or Alive from back in the day seem to fit. Am I dating myself?

Then there was you, then there was you.
    I - I looked around, look what I found out.
    Then there was you, then there was you.
    What was I supposed to do?
    Last edited by maverick; 07-23-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you, what Mars Red did to you Aubergine and all the purples at Tom Bihn have changed my life and horizon.

I also happened with Blues, especially Nordics and all the others.

I decided not to order the Navy Parapack FJN, when it was in production, and still feel how unwise it was, not to order it, with its Steel Parapack twin.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-24-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, Maverick, you are a hoot! Change the color to ALPHAVIOLET and that would be me. I thought I didn't LIKE purple! Received a cubelet in Alphaviolet and I am hopelessly hooked.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahaha! Thanks for the fun post, @maverick! I have been waiting for the Luminary in Mars Red/Viridian to move out of production. I thought I was totally set on Deep Blue/Grass, but three other forum members kept talking about Mars Red... I opted not to jump on the Mars Red/Cloud combo because I decided that if was going to go bold, I was going all the way.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically I just recently swapped for a Crimson WF to fulfill a long desired wish list item. It's so old school it doesn't even have backpack straps.

Now I need a Mars Red cubelet so I can have all the reds.

Connecticut
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Crimson Brain Bag that just....is not as sexy as MARS RED. EBay, here I come.
    --------------------------------

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
    Love to hear what the Stowawy looks like in Mars Red - the stock pictures look very encouraging...
    The pictures on the website are fantastic, but the in person experience is over the top!

Great picture, btw!
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Stowa Flieger on a Crimson Red Silicone Watch Strap from Barton, pictured with the Mars Red Luminary backpack and a very hairy wrist.

Edit: I noticed a Crimson Red Pearl Subaru Outback, and Mazda MX-5 (Miata) in Soul Red Metallic as I was driving this evening.

Yes, I went to the Subaru and Mazda websites and selected the build your car option to look up the names of the colors, in case you're wondering.
    Attached Images Attached Images Extremely upset at Mars Red!-marscrimson-jpg 
    Last edited by maverick; 07-26-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maverick, that's my new Honda Civic Sport Touring in Rallye Red. A pretty good match for the Mars Red Brain Bag I hope will be coming soon!

Extremely upset at Mars Red!-civic-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Yes, I went to the Subaru and Mazda websites and selected the build your car option to look up the names of the colors, in case you're wondering.
    Understood