Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHAT FITS INSIDE THE LUMINARY?

@clockbandit,

You might want to consider what else you want to carry in the Luminary when you choose your water bottle. Apart from weight, the Luminary can carry large diameter water bottles up
    to the maximum depth of the bottom
    panel (4.1" by my measure; compare this with the 3.6" diameter of wide models, like the 32 or 40 oz flasks, and the 2.9" diameter of the 21 oz and 24 oz models)

Consider the thickness of anything else you might want to carry in the Luminary aside from your water bottle -- this could be a tablet in the back pocket, or a light jacket in the main compartment, and make allowances for those items, too.

As for height, the top of the cap of the (taller) 24 oz Hydroglask should reach just below the bottom of the letters "Tom Bihn" on the Luminary's label, if you sit that water bottle in front of the bag on a table.

Hope this helps,

moriond

ETA: copying the graphic for Hydroflask models that I've used to answer previous questions about water bottles. (I used the table measurements to answer the question)

Last edited by moriond; 09-09-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Going with the Standard Mouth, 21 oz. version so that there's more room for my SE (with purse items and wallet, not stuffed overly full) to go on top, clipped in with a key strap. Also, I don't want to carry around a huge amount of weight with the water bottle unless going on a longer hike.

There will be a Kindle Fire 8, a journal, and a Clear Organizer Pouch (pen/pencil) in the back pocket, a light rain jacket and packable sun-hat in a stuff sack on one side of the big central pocket, the water bottle in the middle, and likely a Clear 3D in the other side with sunscreen, a small bug spray, etc. packed in it. Back-up pair of glasses, cleaner cloth, and tissues in one front pocket, and a Burt's Bees, some ginger hard candies, and a protein bar in the other front pocket.

Do you think that will all fit in there? I appreciate the advice - I ordered the Luminary in Olive/Canyon and a Dawn Cubelet and they should be here Friday! I can hardly wait and am trying to figure out the best options for other organizers that I may want to order to go with it (the stuff sack, and pen/pencil pouch for sure).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another one of two inches please!

Nice pictures and explanation. thanks!

Took my luminary to the library today and discovered a #firstworldproblem ! An average hardcover book is 9.5", my EDC side effect is 5" Combine the two and we've reached the limit of the Luminary. I jammed a book in on the way to the library but had to remove the side effect when faced with two books to carry home. I did have a FS in the bag and a few items in the side pockets which probably limited the space for the books...

I love my Luminary. The profile is perfect, but an inch or two in length would allow so much more flexibility. Can you ask Tom to consider us librarians in his future Luminary plans, @darcy ?
    Last edited by Traveltech; 09-21-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fin seam inside the back tablet pocket....

I've been using my new Luminary the past couple of days, trying different configurations out. I've noticed that inside the back tablet pocket, there is a vertical seam that impedes things... if you don't really open up the pocket (or the Luminary main compartment is pretty full) things don't slide in well.

I noticed it every time I tried to slide my Moleskin softcover notebook and a different hardcover notebook in... they would get hung up on the internal seam until I scrunched the pocket open wider and moved the notebooks away from the inside wall.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @anna2224 would you recommend carrying the luminary inside the A30 or do you think it takes up too much room?
    Luminary with a MCB Freudian Slip or Cache, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer, multiple PCSB and OP in lots of pretty colors

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Fin seam inside the back tablet pocket....

I've been using my new Luminary the past couple of days, trying different configurations out. I've noticed that inside the back tablet pocket, there is a vertical seam that impedes things... if you don't really open up the pocket (or the Luminary main compartment is pretty full) things don't slide in well.

I noticed it every time I tried to slide my Moleskin softcover notebook and a different hardcover notebook in... they would get hung up on the internal seam until I scrunched the pocket open wider and moved the notebooks away from the inside wall.
    @G42,

While I think this issue may crop up mainly if you're filling the Luminary fairly full, and using the back compartment for items that don't take up the full width (e.g., a Notebook rather than an iPad or Tablet), I think this could be fixed by sewing down the seam so that the edge points away from the Side Zipper opening.

The seam is there to reinforce the zipper in the main, front compartment (i.e., if you attachment the water bottle mesh pocket to the back of the compartment, in order to hold this in place). However, from my examination of the Luminary construction, the finished seam in the back compartment could be pointed in either direction when flat -- and having the edge of the reinforced, flattened seam point away from the side zipper opening instead of towards it would alleviate cases where a slim notebook inserted in the back will catch its edge on the seam when inserted. Just my thoughts here, YMMV. A possible small design modification suggestion to Nick and Darcy?

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Traveltech,

It depends on how much you want to fit into your A30. If you have an end pocket free and the Luminary is empty, it fits perfectly rolled up. Fitting a filled Luminary into the main compartment would take up a lot of space and one zip pocket would have to be unzipped. If you only have a few more things to pack, say for an overnight, that would probably work fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2