Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Material Recommendations for first TB purchase.

Hi Gang,

I've been looking to order a Synapse 25 but I'm suffering from material overload.
    At the time of writing there is only 1 material choice available and in only two colour configurations and the others are 'in production.'
    My questions for you experienced lot are as follows:

1. I believe there is a new material being released soon? Can you give me a little info and background of the other materials?
    2. I plan for this to be the only bag I travel with in the future (Coming from Saddleback and Filson) so, this may be related to my material choice. Can someone offer the best choice for frequent travel and underseat housing?
    3. I'm planning to compliment the Synapse with the Founders Briefcase, is their a plan to bring back the Parapack material used on this item?

As you can tell, I'm confused with the material choice, even after searching the forum, reviews and the material page offered by TB.

Thanks in advance.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a new material being released soon! 525 Ballistic. Some bags already have it. It's a lighter weight, seemingly super tough ballistic fabric. It's smooth to the touch.
    Which brings me to Halcyon, which is lighter weight and also smooth to the touch. My Synapse 19 is Halcyon and I love it. I don't baby it and it has held up fine. But it might be slightly less robust and resistant to water than the new 525 ballistic. Mine doesn't have any abrasions or anything.
    Cordura is my least favorite material. It's rough feeling. But that makes it tough! A lot of people like it for the color options, but there are even more color options with the new 525 fabric.

Of these, the new ballistic Synapse 25 will be the heaviest. Halcyon is the lightest. Still, I'd choose between those two. I like the light weight and feel of Halcyon, but 525 is probably a good choice. If you like the canvas feel and colors of Cordura, that's a good choice too.

hope that helps!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    There is a new material being released soon! 525 Ballistic. Some bags already have it. It's a lighter weight, seemingly super tough ballistic fabric. It's smooth to the touch.
    Which brings me to Halcyon, which is lighter weight and also smooth to the touch. My Synapse 19 is Halcyon and I love it. I don't baby it and it has held up fine. But it might be slightly less robust and resistant to water than the new 525 ballistic. Mine doesn't have any abrasions or anything.
    Cordura is my least favorite material. It's rough feeling. But that makes it tough! A lot of people like it for the color options, but there are even more color options with the new 525 fabric.

Of these, the new ballistic Synapse 25 will be the heaviest. Halcyon is the lightest. Still, I'd choose between those two. I like the light weight and feel of Halcyon, but 525 is probably a good choice. If you like the canvas feel and colors of Cordura, that's a good choice too.

hope that helps!
    Great information Rocks, thank you for taking the time to assist!
    I'll go back to the shop pages and review what's currently available. I'm a huge fan of the Founders Briefcase but that tiny pocket on the outside really puts me off as I have a rathe large iPhone 6 Plus. The Synapse is a certain purchase pending though. Thanks Again!

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halcyon and Ballistic both have a shiny finish, and Cordura has a rougher matte finish. I find the Cordura picks up fuzz from fleece clothing and pet hair, etc., but in a backpack, that is not as much of an issue as the cordura doesn't touch your clothes directly--rather the smooth fabric on the back panel does. You can request fabric swatches from the store to see a color or fabric that interests you, if you think that might help. I prefer the smoother finishes, but my S25 is Grey cordura, and I really love that color and enjoy the bag in that fabric. Good luck in your choice!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    Halcyon and Ballistic both have a shiny finish, and Cordura has a rougher matte finish. I find the Cordura picks up fuzz from fleece clothing and pet hair, etc., but in a backpack, that is not as much of an issue as the cordura doesn't touch your clothes directly--rather the smooth fabric on the back panel does. You can request fabric swatches from the store to see a color or fabric that interests you, if you think that might help. I prefer the smoother finishes, but my S25 is Grey cordura, and I really love that color and enjoy the bag in that fabric. Good luck in your choice!
    Thanks Luvdabags. I'd be interested in the fabric samples and may request one or two. The grey is certainly a nice look and in the Cordura, looks as though it hold its own when worked hard.