Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: S25 vs S19

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25 vs S19

So I'm sure this has been covered before ad nauseam, but my search function isn't pulling much up, user error no doubt.

Anyway, I already own an S25 and love it, use it daily as a work bag and have taken as a carry on for overseas trips (Europe mostly).

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica for around the new year and am trying to think through bringing a smaller bag for day trips and hiking. I would probably also take my A45 as my primary bag, but just for transport between plane/car/house/hotel, etc. I'm also not interested in other smaller TB backpacks at the moment because I want something with substantive straps.

So, practically speaking, for those of you that have experience with both the S25 and S19, is there a noticeable difference in size when carrying. With only a $10 difference in price, I'm wondering if it's actually worth picking up an S19 for my trip, or if I won't really notice the difference taking my S25. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How tall are you? There is a noticeable fit differences for me between 19 and 25. I'm ~5'10".

Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel as though there is a significant difference between the two. My S19 works wonderfully as an EDC and as a weekend bag. When I try to use my S25 as an EDC, I feel like I have an enormous bag on my back. It swallows up my everyday things, and when I fill it all the way up, it's much more bulky than my S19 is when it's filled up.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talkshop90 View Post
    I feel as though there is a significant difference between the two. My S19 works wonderfully as an EDC and as a weekend bag. When I try to use my S25 as an EDC, I feel like I have an enormous bag on my back. It swallows up my everyday things, and when I fill it all the way up, it's much more bulky than my S19 is when it's filled up.
    I would agree with this sentiment. I just picked up an S19 for more of an EDC as I found the S25 too big for every day type usage. I think of the S25 as more of a travel bag and than EDC though it can easily play that role. Just an excuse to buy another bag really.

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    How tall are you? There is a noticeable fit differences for me between 19 and 25. I'm ~5'10".

I'm right at 5'11, so just a tad taller

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talkshop90 View Post
    This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I actually love my S25 for an edc, but my work carry may be a tad heavy. My exact concern was that the S25 would feel like too much volume when hitting the volcanoes.

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S25 was great when we ventured to the top of Haleakala on Maui for the sunset.

I've wondered as well if the S19 wouldn't work as well or better since I try to carry a light kit when hiking (or traveling in general.) Maybe one day I'll try one and know. I got black Halcyon, which I think was lighter than my other choices at the time.

If you need a smaller pack to carry less, then by all means. That was part of my logic for the A30 instead of the A45. But the Synapse design is not at all floppy understuffed, so I would not expect a big improvement in carry. I'm 5'9" with a ~20" torso.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25 vs S19

I carried a 19 from the day they were released and loved it dearly.
    I also always felt that it was just silly looking on me and was also crammed too full most of the time especially when I had to pull things out to find others.
    I switched to the 25 and it is a lot less silly seeming on me overall and also carries the same loads much more comfortably in every way for me.
    Just because there is more space I am not obligated to cram it full.........right?

The 25 just offers me a lot more capability as each compartment is roomier while it is also better proportioned to my stature all around.

I type this right now from a Hotel room where I was last night on a single night driving trip where I took just the 25 but where the 19 just would not have been enough bag.

I am 6'1" and about 200 lbs and have Monkey Arms too!

YMMV though as they say.
    Last edited by AVService; 08-05-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Synapses are best when not completely full. When it's packed tightly, it gets rounded and less comfortable. So if you think you only need to carry like 12L of stuff, then carrying in an S19 will be great, but for if your "day trips and hikes" load is close to 19L, I think the S25 would work out better.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel that the S19 can look bulky when fully loaded, a bit like a little turtle shell.

I have therefore settled on the S25 so that with the same load (as the S19) the bag will sit flatter on my back.

I agree with @AVService that the proportions of the pockets are also a little better overall. So I feel the S25 is the better overall option.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I've only tried on the 19, because I'm 5'7 with a longer torso, the S25 distributed weight better over my body. I packed both with the same stuff, and the S25 felt lighter, if that makes sense. Seems like the weight of the s19 was "concentrated" in a smaller space.

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, really solid feedback. Sounds like sticking with the S25 may be my best bet, which is great as is save me some cash. Really appreciate all the feedback!