Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Portlandia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston we have a problem :)

I swore I would never join another forum relating to some product that I was obsessed with, yet here I am.

I have a "bag" problem. I honestly cannot even list the great number of bags that I own and have owned over the years. I mean all of them. High end, inexpensive, sports inspired and vintage. Bags from Mexico, Japan, Germany and the USA.

Plus I cannot bring myself to get rid of any (although I am strongly considering it finally). I cannot even bring myself to list the bags that still have the tags on them.

Somehow while researching GORUCK backpacks, I ended up here. How? I do not remember exactly. I have been familiar with TB bags for some time, but never owned one. I was on the hunt for a specific type of bag. I was looking for a EDC backpack, but one that would be durable, sized properly and one that I could use hiking or sitting by the pool.

So I end up on the TB site last week and decided that the Synapse 25 seemed like the one that fit the bill. At the same time, I was still considering the GORUCK. Then I stumbled on a review that discussed the organizational advantages of the TB bags. Also, in the spirit of transparency, I could not wrap my head around the sizing of the GORUCK bags. I have a tendency to want the biggest bag when I buy one whether or not I need all the room.

I decide I want the Synapse 25 and then make a conscience decision that I am NOT going to obsess for too long over the colors (more on this later). I had boiled it down to two colors (for now). The Deep blue/Iberian or the more proper Black/Cloud (safe). I had a seriously tough time with this. I loved the blue, but ultimately chose the same route the first time.

So I ordered the Synapse with a Cache, Snake Charmer and Freudian Slip. I added a couple of key straps (not reading that it came with one). I also ordered a SE (Lets not even get into the colors conundrum here) along with a waist strap, and a couple of other accessories.

The site said if I placed my order before 12, it would ship the same day. And they were not joking. What they did not tell me is that I would RECEIVE my order the next day! Now, I live in Portland so I am lucky to live pretty close. That being said, I was flabbergasted!.

I opened the incredibly thick sturdy box and unwrapped my gifts (to myself) Smilie Joy. Yes, I was a little sad that I had not ordered the blue, but I have to say that I am very, very pleased with my purchases. I have been very pleasantly surprised how much I have used my SE too. I am using that bag daily. The strap is pretty basic, but incredibly comfortable somehow. I made a couple of small errors (too may of some accessories and none of some others that I needed.

All of this leads me to my current issue. I want more TB stuff! I am assuming if you are reading this, you probably have a similar issue. I want the two bags I have in more colors. I want more accessories that I can count. And that does not even get me to my "needs" Currently here are a list of those Smilie

1) A travel bag. Aeronaut. 30 or 45?
    2) Spiff bag. I actually do need this. Like next week. I am going on a trip.
    3) Travel Laundry Stuff Sack. See above
    4) Travel Tray (ok, maybe not a need) Smilie
    5) Cubes, totes, a million pouches.
    6) A Makers bag or Cafe bag? I do not know yet.

So you can see my issue. There are so many things I want/need! And on top of all that, things come and go. Or they may just pop up at random times. So I wait. Patiently. Sort of.

EDIT. By some miracle snagged a Spiff Bag tonight. It was not my first color choice, but I will take it. I am guessing it was a return maybe since there was only one there..... Success!

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allow me to persuade you toward a Travel Tray. It's the most-used accessory I own. It comes with me on every trip, carrying in-flight essentials. It's my amenity kit and my Snack Chamber and it can hang from anything. At home, one helps me keep track of my keys and glasses and work badge, one holds games and picnic gear, and one holds my (embarrassing) collection of organizer pouches.

I'd also direct you toward the Snake Charmer, which also makes a great clean/dirty cube, or dopp kit, or will hold a million electronic cables for you.
    Last edited by kieri; 08-09-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely need a travel tray. A30, then start working on the briefcase/messenger. At least that was my path after starting with the S25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portlandia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. Sigh. I will definitely pick up a travel tray when they are done Wink

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until I actually got one, I didn't realise how essential a travel tray is. I highly recommend the A30 too.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 Travel Trays (don't judge). They are, in my humble opinion, indispensable. I cannot travel without one, even if it's just overnight. They are by far THE best thing to put on a hotel (or guest room) nightstand, chair, floor to corral your phone, glass, lip balm, tissues, etc. etc. And so many colors!

Oh, and welcome to the family!
    Eat well, travel often.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BagHabit and welcome!

Loved your post! I could see my self in it. The constand struggle to find the ONE bag (or at least one for each usa-scenario ;-) ) the shopping ALL the brands and never being satisfied...
    What is different for me: pre Tom Bihn I used to pass on/sell on most of my bags so that people who knew about my bag addiction where always supriesed about how few bags I actually own at one given moment. Now... well let's say I have a lot TB bags :-D

But one huge thing has changed for me: I very very rarely look at other brands now. Which gives me pice of mind (this is NOT understandable to people with a healthy relationship to bags!) if Tom Bihn does not make it I do not need it I feel. Not sure if it will be like this for you but I loved reading your inital enthusiasm.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure this is what is called a 1st world problem!

It has just taken all your other bags to make it here.

Enjoy it!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the other posts here: you do need a Travel Tray. And a Shop Bag. After my Imago, those are the two TB items that get the most use. Speaking of, I can't help you with your messenger bag quest--I think the Imago is the best one TB has ever made, and they're not in production anymore.

For travel, the A30 has become my indispensable bag. I bought an A45 back in 2009, before the A30 existed. I do love the A45, and it's seen many miles across many countries, but the A30 is just perfect. Smilie
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Portlandia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel tray. Check! As soon as they are ready of course.

btw, for those with the travel trays... Do you use the large or small more? There are small listed currently, but I have been holding out for the large.

And Kathryn, what is a "shop bag"?

AVService. Agreed (1st world problems).

Thanks to all for feedback and comments!

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 travel tray

Forum Member
    Portlandia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those still reading and helping, I have some more questions.

1) Aeronaut 30 vs 45? Why?

2) Travel Laundry Stuff Sack vs Individual Stuff Sacks?

3) I bought the Side Effect, which I primarily use as a waist pack. Was looking at the Side Kick, but it looked huge. Is it?

4) I tried to find the answer, but does anyone know the size of the paracord that is used in the pulls?

I am sure I will have more Q's later. Thanks in advance.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston we have a problem 😊

Quote Originally Posted by BagHabit View Post
    Travel tray. Check! As soon as they are ready of course.

btw, for those with the travel trays... Do you use the large or small more? There are small listed currently, but I have been holding out for the large.

And Kathryn, what is a "shop bag"?

AVService. Agreed (1st world problems).

Thanks to all for feedback and comments!
    I am not Kathryn but here is a link to the shop bags:
    https://www.tombihn.com/products/sho...nt=14411642119

I use one of mine (large or small) every day. They are so great for carrying things around the house or to take anywhere. I like to put my Side Kick in one (it is my handbag) and I will have plenty of room to stash hats, gloves, sunglasses, water bottles etc along with it depending on the season.

I have small and large Travel Trays and I use small ones in the house, and a large one when I travel. A small one fits perfectly on the shelf in my bathroom cabinet, making it easy to keep fiddly little bottles of serums, etc in it. Another small one is wedged in beside my bed with very important items I might suddenly want in the middle of the night but can't go searching for (lip balm, etc).

I have the large with me on holiday right now and in addition to bedside items it also has a small journal and pencil, ear buds, and a couple of Organizer Pouches with my Dramamine, etc. Basically stuff I don't want to lose or hide in a bag somewhere. The drawstring keeps my little ones out.
    Last edited by Cristina; 08-09-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Edited for clarification

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BagHabit I have both large and small travel trays and I tend to favor the small for traveling as it fits all my pocket stuff easily without swallowing it whole. I would suggest deciding how you wish to use it and make a decision based on that use. I like the small because all my stuff stands in it and I can see what's there and grab what I want. With the large everything falls into the bottom and I have to look into the tray to see what I want. If you have a lot of chargers/cords or other bits and bobs you want to keep together the large may work for you.
    DogBikeSpringRainbowTengu

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BagHabit, and welcome! On this forum, you are among a group who understands your admittedly first world "problem".

I agree that Shop Bags are extraordinarily useful for all manner of carrying, including for groceries! I love having a colourful array. You'll find them under "Totes".

As for the Aeronaut 30 v. 45 question: I use my Halcyon A30 more, because the 45 gets a bit heavy for me to carry. But I love having my ballistic A45 in reserve for those times when I need more space or plan to check it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast