Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which size Yeoman duffel bag?

Hello Friends!

I am going on six day road trips with some friends. Space is certainly not limited but I am a small woman and minimalist packer. I've had a lot of trouble deciding between a small or medium Yeoman duffel. My plan is to get an A30 when my preferred color Black/Island is back in stock. The trip is coming up soon so decisions have to be made. Maybe it is good to have a medium for the size even if it is likely larger than what I need. A small could be an excellent bag to have around. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan on getting the A30, I vote for the small YD. I usually take road trips with the medium road duffel (36 liters) and had plenty of space for a week long road trip. For reference I am also small Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by ndurgun View Post
    Hello Friends!

I am going on six day road trips with some friends. Space is certainly not limited but I am a small woman and minimalist packer. I've had a lot of trouble deciding between a small or medium Yeoman duffel. My plan is to get an A30 when my preferred color Black/Island is back in stock. The trip is coming up soon so decisions have to be made. Maybe it is good to have a medium for the size even if it is likely larger than what I need. A small could be an excellent bag to have around. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for looking.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received the mini to use as a gym bag. It fits my 10 running shoes, pair of flip flops, a change of clothes (t-shirt and light wool long sleeve shirt), and toiletries before it gets full. Hopefully this helps you with some points of reference. Don't forget to add a shoulder strap - I didn't realize it came without one and had to scrounge one up from another bag. It is a great little bag and as always the materials and craftsmanship are top notch - you won't ever wear it out.
    Last edited by SKIMT; 08-10-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @ndurgan,

To add to the comments by @RDR3, I'd also suggest that the Small Yeoman Duffel would be the better size for you. To put this in perspective, the volume capacity of the Medium Size Yeoman Duffel is 44 liters -- close to that of the Aeronaut 46. If you fill it completely with clothes and other items, you may find this rather heavy to carry. (Of course, in a road trip the bag would sit in a car, and not have to be hefted around very much, and it's always possible that you'd be using this for items that are light but bulky). In contrast, the Small Yeoman Duffel is 28 liters in volume capacity.

Take a look at the pictures in the New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute thread to get an idea of the relative sizes of the bag and its accessories. I've done some pack-ups there with both the Mini and Small Yeoman Duffels to give you an idea of what sorts of accessories fit into these bags. Also note (in the post #61 Mini YD pack up), that I show where the 5 O-rings are positioned around the top opening of the Yeoman Duffel in case you want to tether accessories (these are mostly indicated by the multi-colored old-style keystraps that are attached to said O-rings, and a variety of different accessories).

There are numerous posts scattered around the forums that might be helpful -- for example, in the Will a small or medium Yeoman fit (rolled) into the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pouch? thread, apart from answering that specific question (with pictures), there's a post from @kireri describing how she rolled a Small Yeoman Duffel for carrying in a Size #2 Travel Stuff Sack. For a discussion thread with someone who chose a Medium Yeoman Duffel, see @imahawki's Yeoman Organization Strategy thread.

You don't need to use the new Aether Packing Cubes for the Small Yeoman Duffel in order to pack your bag, but if you'd like to see some pictures of how these fit (by themselves, or in combination with other accessories, particularly in the Mini and Small Yeoman Duffels), take a look at The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes thread. I'll just mention that I do like the Mini and Small Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes for general purpose use, and would get one or two of these even if I didn't plan to pack a Yeoman Duffel entirely with the designed packing cubes. I also noticed that you said (in a different thread):
    Quote Originally Posted by ndurgun View Post
    My love of steel hasn't gone anywhere though. It is still a fantastic color. I've ordered the Steel Halcyon TriStar Packing Cube just to have more of it around.
    I think you may have ordered the Small Tri-Star Packing Cube, but if by chance you have the Medium Tri-Star Packing Cube, this is a good match to the Small Yeoman Duffel that is even better than the Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes I showed for the Mini and Small YD packups. (The Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes are a bit long for the width of the Small YD, which is not quite as wide as the A30 -- so you have to rotate the Small A30 packing cubes so they run along the long dimension, or under pack the large A30 packing cube, which is 12" square in profile, while the Small YD only comfortably takes something a little over 11" -- like the 11.3" short dimension of the Medium Tri-Star Packing Cube).

By the way, the Small Western Flyer Halcyon Packing Cubes also work in the main compartment of the Co-Pilot if you want to outfit your Co-Pilot to carry clothing. See my post #7 in the Packing Cubes for Co-Pilot thread for a picture. The all fabric cube is easiest to slip into that location, but of course, for the Yeoman Duffel, you can use either the Fabric or the Mesh versions of the Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes (sorry to say that the Steel Halcyon versions sold out a few months ago, so there's now only Northwest Sky).

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @ndurgan,

To add to the comments by @RDR3, I'd also suggest that the Small Yeoman Duffel would be the better size for you. To put this in perspective, the volume capacity of the Medium Size Yeoman Duffel is 44 liters -- close to that of the Aeronaut 46. If you fill it completely with clothes and other items, you may find this rather heavy to carry. (Of course, in a road trip the bag would sit in a car, and not have to be hefted around very much, and it's always possible that you'd be using this for items that are light but bulky). In contrast, the Small Yeoman Duffel is 28 liters in volume capacity.

Take a look at the pictures in the New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute thread to get an idea of the relative sizes of the bag and its accessories. I've done some pack-ups there with both the Mini and Small Yeoman Duffels to give you an idea of what sorts of accessories fit into these bags. Also note (in the post #61 Mini YD pack up), that I show where the 5 O-rings are positioned around the top opening of the Yeoman Duffel in case you want to tether accessories (these are mostly indicated by the multi-colored old-style keystraps that are attached to said O-rings, and a variety of different accessories).

There are numerous posts scattered around the forums that might be helpful -- for example, in the Will a small or medium Yeoman fit (rolled) into the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pouch? thread, apart from answering that specific question (with pictures), there's a post from @kireri describing how she rolled a Small Yeoman Duffel for carrying in a Size #2 Travel Stuff Sack. For a discussion thread with someone who chose a Medium Yeoman Duffel, see @imahawki's Yeoman Organization Strategy thread.

You don't need to use the new Aether Packing Cubes for the Small Yeoman Duffel in order to pack your bag, but if you'd like to see some pictures of how these fit (by themselves, or in combination with other accessories, particularly in the Mini and Small Yeoman Duffels), take a look at The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes thread. I'll just mention that I do like the Mini and Small Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes for general purpose use, and would get one or two of these even if I didn't plan to pack a Yeoman Duffel entirely with the designed packing cubes. I also noticed that you said (in a different thread):

I think you may have ordered the Small Tri-Star Packing Cube, but if by chance you have the Medium Tri-Star Packing Cube, this is a good match to the Small Yeoman Duffel that is even better than the Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes I showed for the Mini and Small YD packups. (The Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes are a bit long for the width of the Small YD, which is not quite as wide as the A30 -- so you have to rotate the Small A30 packing cubes so they run along the long dimension, or under pack the large A30 packing cube, which is 12" square in profile, while the Small YD only comfortably takes something a little over 11" -- like the 11.3" short dimension of the Medium Tri-Star Packing Cube).

By the way, the Small Western Flyer Halcyon Packing Cubes also work in the main compartment of the Co-Pilot if you want to outfit your Co-Pilot to carry clothing. See my post #7 in the Packing Cubes for Co-Pilot thread for a picture. The all fabric cube is easiest to slip into that location, but of course, for the Yeoman Duffel, you can use either the Fabric or the Mesh versions of the Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes (sorry to say that the Steel Halcyon versions sold out a few months ago, so there's now only Northwest Sky).

HTH

moriond
    Thank you so much for the detailed response. This is incredibly helpful. It looks like my best choice is a Small YD with some organization. Those threads were a part of my research and it is wonderful to have more perspective. The A30 will not arrive in time for the trip but I still think that the Small YD will probably do the trip. Thank you so much for all of the tips. The packing cube thread is particularly helpful.

Forum Member
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIMT View Post
    I just received the mini to use as a gym bag. It fits my 10 running shoes, pair of flip flops, a change of clothes (t-shirt and light wool long sleeve shirt), and toiletries before it gets full. Hopefully this helps you with some points of reference. Don't forget to add a shoulder strap - I didn't realize it came without one and had to scrounge one up from another bag. It is a great little bag and as always the materials and craftsmanship are top notch - you won't ever wear it out.

Thank you! It is great to get some perspective on daily use.

Forum Member
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A30 will not make it in time for the trip but I think 28 L is a decent amount for a short trip. I imagine that I will find many other uses for the smaller duffel than the larger one. I am 5'3 so it might be better to stick to slightly more proportionate things.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my small Yeoman! It's currently performing the boring but noble task of corralling my emergency car supplies, but I took it on a week-long road trip recently and it was great! Here's how I packed for a demo for a "maximalist" friend. My actual packing list was much smaller:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    I love my small Yeoman! It's currently performing the boring but noble task of corralling my emergency car supplies, but I took it on a week-long road trip recently and it was great! Here's how I packed for a demo for a "maximalist" friend. My actual packing list was much smaller:

Excellent, thank you very much for great photos!! That really helps to understand the capacity of the bag. I'll be going with a small YD and several different packing cubes.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a really helpful thread--thanks all! I've been considering a Yeoman as a gift for my 2-year-old nephew for awhile. He has a chronic condition that means he is in and out of the hospital a lot, and sometimes has to stay overnight. I think having a bag just for his own stuff would be great for him and his parents. Looks like the mini size would be a great fit for him, so now I just have to decide on a color.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Central Kentucky
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spy Softstar Ballerines!!! Best. Flats. Ever.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barks View Post
    I spy Softstar Ballerines!!! Best. Flats. Ever.
    Thanks, I learned about them here on the Forum. This place is so, so bad for my wallet...

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of detailed info and photos here, which should help anyone making a decision. I will just add a two-sentence review from my sister. I ordered a small Yeoman duffle for her as a gift, but said I would gladly pay for an upgrade if she would prefer a medium. She debated, and finally decided to stick with the small, the perfect size for fitting under an airline seat. She has just debuted it on a weekend trip to a wedding--said that "it was like a magic bag in a fairy tale. There was always room to fit in one more thing!"

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love this! Can I ask what you packed in the cubelets and how you use your travel tray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditmo View Post
    Love this! Can I ask what you packed in the cubelets and how you use your travel tray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I had makeup in one, a first aid kit in another, and charger cables in the third. Under normal packing conditions, I'd probably have the cables in the travel tray, along with my lint roller, glasses, eye mask, and other miscellany.

In this picture I have two of my favorite pieces of travel gear in the tray - a small collapsible bowl with lid and a spork. I like having something that lets me heat up oatmeal or leftovers when I stay in hotel rooms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast