Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaught 30...Fooling myself?

I am new to the world of TB! I was doing some research on a new backpack and stumbled across Chase Reeves' review of the Synapse 25. After finishing my due diligence, I ordered it over all comers in the 525 Olive. I love it! I purchased an REI compression packing cube and recently lived out of the bag for a week with clothes to spare.

Which got me thinking...

Is the Aeronaught 30 big enough for two kids under 2.5 years of age and myself, just clothes? My wife likes to check her roller bag so she would carry the Synapse for diaper/entertainment/snack bag. I think this would free up our hands for the kids and the cumbersome items that accompany traveling with them- stroller, car seats, etc. I hear that A30 isn't so big that I would be overly weighed down like some say the A45 can do. I am thinking a max of seven day travel and we would get laundry service at the hotel if needed. I'm open to A45 if you all say that A30 for this situation is crazy talk. Thank you for your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say crazy talk. I can pack an A30 for 4+ days for myself, but I can't imagine adding 2 toddlers items in. Kids that little go through a LOT of clothes every day.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red [COLOR="#000000"] Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn HLT 1 in Logic Blue , numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Mateh Binyamin, Israel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're only talking summer, and your kids don't need a change of pj's every night, and you are very very super minimalist on your own stuff, and willing to live with non-immaculate kids, and you are willing to really stuff the bag, maybe. Little kids have little clothes. If you can fit all of your stuff in the end pockets, you could do 1 large packing cube for each of them. You can also handwash little things--it's hardly worth the hotel laundry. Try it and see--lay out everything you think you'll need, make sure your wife agrees with your assessment, and see if you can cram 80% of it in your S25.

I assume you're planning on buying diapers etc. at your destination? Those take a fair bit of room.

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can pack for a 2-3 night trip for myself and my 7 month old in the A30, but all that goes in the A30 is just clothes, toiletries and an extra pair of shoes. I still have to carry a separate large diaper bag with all of the essentials like toys, extra diapers/wipes and food/bottles. (Not to mention stroller, car seat, etc.) I am looking into getting an A45 so that I can pack for more than a few days for the two of us in one bag. I wish I had gotten the A45 from the start, but having the A30 has taught me to be a better packer.

I would recommend going with the A45 unless you are a super minimalist packer. I think it's possible to do what you are thinking, but it would take a very minimalist mind set and definitely would require doing some laundry on the trip.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for the A45. I just packed the A30 for a minimal 3-day work trip, and it's pretty full. I could squish a few more things in, but definitely not enough for 2 toddlers, even if I ditched the heels that the nature of the trip compels me to include.

If you're going to fill the A45 with your own and toddlers' clothes, then I think you'll be okay on weight.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Have you tried test packing for a seven day trip? Gather what you would wear and what you would bring for the kids to wear. I'd consult your wife for the kids things, just to be sure they have what will be needed. Carefully consider your adult clothing and see if there are items that you could wear twice, like a wool shirt. Planning to do laundry means that you could get by with three or four adult outfits. Kids get messy faster, but their clothing is tiny, so it might be simpler to bring more outfits for the kids.

This test packing will show you how much space is actually needed. Fold everything and maybe put it into packing cubes. Packing cubes can sometimes compress the volume of clothing, but not always. If you share your packing list, perhaps someone could show you comparable items in both the Aeronaut 30 and Aeronaut 45. Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote here for the A45. I have 2 kids under 4, and have traveled a few times by myself with them and just the A45 (including entertainment and diapers). Sounds like you have a bit more leeway with your wife carrying some things, but I think the A30 is seriously pushing it. Also, I had no problem carrying it packed full on my back and wrangling the kids, and I'm on the slight side physically. Felt like a boss. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the insight! I was holding out hope but I will be ordering a A45 once I decide on a color. Thanks again!