Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25 w/ updated grab handle

Can someone with production knowledge clarify which models of the Synapse 25 are shipping this month with the updated grab handle I've been reading about? Is it just the those shipping currently in ballistic 525, or does it include Black Halcyon as well, and more specifically the Black Halcyon/Island currently in stock? Thanks.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi damonsharp!

Welcome to the forums!

If you call Tom Bihn, they can give you the lowdown on the updated grab handles AND make sure you get what you want at the same time.

My guess is that they will sell out of the old stock and all of the new stock will have the new grab handles, but I would call and verify that.

I have a LUMINARY that has the new grab handle and an old daylight backpack with the old handle, and never thought about it before, but wow, that new one is really nice! Easier to grab, more comfy in the hand, love that TB is always striving to make their products better!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meant to mention that I received an email from the company today. The S25s in production do have the new handle and will moving forward.

Forum Member
    Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed the new handle thing. Is it Poron now like the SA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't officially viewed a high res image of the new handle but read in the forums somewhere about it being softer and doubled over and stitched (can't find where I read it exactly). If you zoom in on the 3rd picture at the top (side view) of https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=45627282759 you can kinda see it although the image isn't the greatest quality. Just ordered a Cloud 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon today, so I'll see it up close in about a week once it gets here. Big Grin

If anyone wants to submit a high res image of the handle here (if they have one), be my guest. Would love to see a better picture of it in the meantime.
    Last edited by damonsharp; 08-21-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new s25 with the updated handle. At first I didn't even know they had changed it but then I remember think to myself, wow TB thinks of everything, what a nice grab handle! Then lo and behold someone mentioned it had been updated. So there you have it, new handle = awesomeness

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my S19 and the grad handle is upgraded. Awesome! And the tag is portable culture.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damonsharp View Post
    If anyone wants to submit a high res image of the handle here (if they have one), be my guest. Would love to see a better picture of it in the meantime.
    @damonsharp and others,

The new grab handle design for the Synapse Backpacks derives from the debut design of the Luminary. So you can see detailed, close-up views of this grab handle by looking at the photos and description in post #2 of @Ilkyway's thread titled The Luminary FKA Muse:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...-fka-muse.html

I'll excerpt two pictures from that post:

The webbing material is different from what was previously used, and is softer and more pliable.

Note that the backpack strap design of the Luminary, which can also be seen in the second excerpted picture used to display the new grab handle, is not the same as the backpack straps for either Synapse -- the Luminary backpack straps are lighter weight, lightly padded, and have a shape designed to better fit comfortably on smaller body builds.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 09-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there is another change: the main compartment is now fully lined even the small stripe at the top of the front pannel:

And here a picture of the handle of my gorgous Synapse 25:

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ilkyway. I noticed that as well.Big Grin

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    And there is another change: the main compartment is now fully lined even the small stripe at the top of the front pannel:

And here a picture of the handle of my gorgous Synapse 25:

Ilkyway
    My S25 is from the last batch before the update and I also have a fully lined interior including that section photographed. I really almost didn't post because I don't want to be nit picky but some of us like to track the changes over time so I just wanted to throw that in. I sadly have the old style grab handle though.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Are the new more comfortable handles made with the same material as the Shop Bag handles? Is it poron? elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Are the new more comfortable handles made with the same material as the Shop Bag handles? Is it poron? elisa
    No, they're not. They're made from a softer webbing than the old style grab handles, doubled-up and then bartacked.

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they longer than the older style?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, not that I know. I had an older S19 and S25 which I sold once I switched to a new S19 in 525 Ballistic. If memory serves, the grab handles on both the older and current Synapses should be the same length.