Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help sorting this out

I can't decide what I want my bag to do. I had a purse sized backpack for years and was frequently carrying additional bags with knitting, jacket, etc that didn't fit into the backpack. I bought the Luminary and I love the bag but same problem - doesn't fit all the stuff I want to carry with me. Second purchase was Synapse 19 - also love the bag and fits everything that I like to take with me very well. But....

I'm going to Italy next week and occasionally do day trips, but I don't really have "adventures" or do extensive traveling so I don't need to carry a full sized backpack everywhere - I just like having my stuff with me for times when I'm waiting for grandkids or out with friends or at the dog park.

I prefer the smaller bag to carry but need a larger bag in the car for my stuff and cannotdecide between these two bags. In other words, I need a magical bag that morphs into what I need it to be on any given day.

I've spent way way way too much time agonizing and obsessing over this decision. Can anyone help me to sort this out and give me some advice on which bag to keep and which to send back?

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you figure out a bag-in-bag solution? A smaller bag with the essentials that goes into a larger bag with the knitting/jacket/etc, so you can take the small bag by itself when you don't need the rest of the stuff?

I don't think a backpack will fit all that well into another backpack, but what about a Side Kick or Side Effect for the smaller bag? They're not backpacks, but they both fit well into the main compartment of the S19, which you said was big enough to hold everything.

I think your only other options are to pare down the stuff you're carrying to fit into the Luminary, or else to carry the S19 everywhere. Or maybe there's an elastic bag out there somewhere that stretches and shrinks to accommodate the load. Wink

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh, I relate to this so much! I second the idea of a bag within a bag. I either use a Side Kick or Side Effect for my wallet, phone, camera, sun screen and mini first aid kit, and this. At goes inside a large or small Shop Bag, a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, or my S25.

Over time I am settling into using certain bags for certain types of outings. S25 for longer journeys and/or variable weather where I will be stuck with kids jackets. PCSB for when I need just the Side Kick plus a water bottle and sun hats. I use the Large Shop Bag for school dropoffs and pickups because I like the versatility of being able to carry just about anything, like kids jackets and snacks, preschool artwork, lunch bags, etc.

What do you carry with you? Do you always like to have room for a jacket and knitting? Do you have a strong preference for backpacks over totes and shoulder bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +3 with the bag in a bag idea. It worked for me on my 3 month trip along with an S25.

Large Cafe bag inside a large shopping bag. Used together and separate. And both were extremely light weight in halcyon.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bag within a bag fan.. You might also consider the Daylight Backpack...It holds about as much as the Synapse 19, but has less structure so it underpacks "small". It is a comfortable carry and morphs to accommodate either a small load or a larger load. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a preference for the backpack because messenger type bags hurt my shoulder after a while. It feels like it was easier choosing a name for my son than it's been deciding on this bag.

I don't always carry a jacket but I have started taking my knitting with me when I go out. And the rest is the usual stuff - sunscreen, bug spray, readers, tablet, Advil, pens, sanitizer, etc.

Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the bag-in-bag. I have a Sidekick and a Side Effect. My favorite way to use them is thrown inside a small or large shop bag to hold my knitting, water bottle, snacks, jacket, etc.

For what I think you're describing for your Italy trip, I'd suggest the Side Kick for sightseeing and the Large Shop Bag for in the car knitting, jacket, etc. If a jacket isn't needed and your knitting is small-ish (i.e. hat, socks, etc.), the Small Shop Bag is great.
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the exact same way. What I use is Small Cafe Bag - and a Large Shop Bag Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kad View Post
    I have a preference for the backpack because messenger type bags hurt my shoulder after a while. It feels like it was easier choosing a name for my son than it's been deciding on this bag.

I don't always carry a jacket but I have started taking my knitting with me when I go out. And the rest is the usual stuff - sunscreen, bug spray, readers, tablet, Advil, pens, sanitizer, etc.
    What about a Side Kick and a couple of Yarn Stuff Sacks inside a Daylight Backpack? The Side Kick is for your usual stuff, and the Yarn Stuff Sacks are for knitting and other bulkier stuff. You might be able to fit your jacket inside a medium Yarn Stuff Sack, if it is smallish and/or packable. I can get a medium size North Face packable insulated hooded jacket in one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the suggestion to try the Daylight Backpack. I haven't been tempted by the Luminary since the Daylight Backpack is a perfect urban carryall for me. It can hold a lot but slims down very well if I'm only carrying a few things. I also have a S19, but I agree that sometimes a full-featured backpack (with thick straps, etc.) isn't right for the setting.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. They are really helpful. Bag in bag sounds like the way to go.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a bag within bag person but have none of the bags in question. The OP has a luminary and an S19. What are the most economical options for her. Could a large shop bag carry her luminary? Is there a way to secure the luminary within the bag? Or would she be better off getting a small bag to carry within the A19?