Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help: BIG new laptop

I finally got a laptop at work and of COURSE I want to put it in a Tom Bihn bag. Unfortunately, I think it might be too big for most bags and I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice. It's a relatively thin-ish 15.6 inch ThinkPad.

I currently carry a Co-Pilot, which I LOVE. I love it because I regularly carry:
    • Notebook (5x6)
    • Zojirushi mug
    • Side Effect
    • Small knitting project in a medium YSS or a SSC
    • Doo Dads: ibupofen, pens, lipstick, gum, millions of lip balms, etc.

So, I still intend to carry these things with the addition of this apparently giant laptop.

Does anybody have any suggestions? TIA!
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Laptop Bags tab on this site has a cool new-ish feature on the left side of the page. It's a pulldown. Choose your laptop (or comparable model) and it shows what bags will carry it.

For a Thinkpad 15.6, it shows these bags.

But I think I remember a thread that showed a Thinkpad in a Pilot. However, that might have been the 14-inch. Still, worth a search of the forums.

ETA: I think I found the thread here. In the end, though, the Pilot appeared to be too small and she went with a Cadet instead.

If you have a little time to look, see if you can find a used ID or Zephyr, both retired designs. I have an ID and I know it would fit that size laptop. The Zephyr is a smaller version of the Empire Builder and would fit it also. These pop up from time to time on ebay and Craigs List or even in swaps on the forum.
    Last edited by sujo; 08-30-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    The Laptop Bags tab on this site has a cool new-ish feature on the left side of the page. It's a pulldown. Choose your laptop (or comparable model) and it shows what bags will carry it.

For a Thinkpad 15.6, it shows these bags.

But I think I remember a thread that showed a Thinkpad in a Pilot. However, that might have been the 14-inch. Still, worth a search of the forums.

ETA: I think I found the thread here. In the end, though, the Pilot appeared to be too small and she went with a Cadet instead.

If you have a little time to look, see if you can find a used ID or Zephyr, both retired designs. I have an ID and I know it would fit that size laptop. The Zephyr is a smaller version of the Empire Builder and would fit it also. These pop up from time to time on ebay and Craigs List or even in swaps on the forum.
    There is also the Ego and Super Ego both of which might work and again both show up on Ebay a lot and are terrific bags,I of course have both!

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both! I might also consider a Synapse 25. I haven't carried a backpack in a long time but maybe this can be my reason to do so.
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a laptop that big (and presumably rather heavy), I'd go with the Synapse 25. I've carried smaller laptops in a messenger bag (A Lenovo X1 Carbon and Lenovo T430 in a Crumpler Pinnacle of Horror) and never found it comfortable enough, especially over long periods of time. Of course, I wasn't using Tom Bihn bags then.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the previous poster. My work laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad T540p, and it was hard finding a TB bag that would fit it! I ended up with a Cadet and a horizontal cache size 1. After carrying for about a year, I decided to switch to a backpack as I got tired of one shoulder carry, especially when I had to travel with my work laptop. I now carry an S25 and a vertical cache Size 1. this has been my setup for the last couple of years and has worked out perfectly! Much better to carry on my back rather than shoulder!