Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    18
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Suggestjons for packing cube for Synapse 25

    Hi all,

    First post here. I recently discovered Tom Bihn and after much debate between the Synapse 19 and the 25, I got the 19.

    I love it and have no complaints but I am ordering a 25 as for sure I will use it..Maybe I'll keeo both!

    The reason I am posting is for suggestions on which packing cube be work best for the 25. I'm sure there's a few of them and really I doubt I can go wrong but thought I'd post anyways.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    496
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an eagle creek featherlight medium expandable cube. I actually have 2 I use one fully expanded for clothes and the other collapsed for socks and such. I also have a small pack it sack by eagle creek for toiletries. I tried the TB A30 laundry stuff sack but it just didn't work for me. I like the square shape instead of the round.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Alaska
    Posts
    661
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Welcome! The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag fits nicely in the Synapse 25. I can fit two in the large main compartment. I've also heard that it will fit in the bottom front section. elisa

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    26
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like this set from eBags... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T24Q3DS..._tz.Rzb32YWTGJ

    I've used them in a variety of configurations in the S25...

    1) Large cube in the main pocket (against my back) with my laptop in the tom bihn cache above it. There's little room left in the main pocket this way and due to the curve of the pack near the grab handle it takes a little effort to get it zipped if the cube is packed super full, but it works. I then have room in the front bottom pocket for the small size packing cube from that set stuffed pretty full. It smallows it well. I then use the remaining pockets for electronics, toiletries, sunglasses, etc. I use this method when I need a lot of clothes.

    2) Medium packing cube in the large pocket sitting horizontal. This allows for a ton of room above it in the same pocket, which fits either the small packing cube on top of it or you can fill an original size snake charmer with toiletries and cables, etc. and it will fit on top instead, leaving room for the small packing cube in the large front pocket as mentioned before. Either configuration allows my 13" MacBook Pro to be in the main compartment on top of the clothes.

    3) Using an aeronaut 45 large packing cube in place of the medium eBags one in 2) above. The snake charmer still fits on top in the large compartment but it's pretty tight to get the laptop in as well due to the thickness of the aeronaut 45 packing cube, but it works. I read other threads with people suggesting not to use that packing cube in the S25 but it seems to work fine for me if you don't stuff it all the way full.

    You can also get away with using one of the slim cubes as a holder for thin shoes (I put my size 12 flip flops in there) and put them flat in the very bottom of the large synapse pocket in 2) above, then the medium cube, then the small cube or snake charmer. Imo this allows you to use the s25 as a true one bag solution.

    Anyway, enjoy the pack. It can swallow a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by damonsharp; 09-06-2017 at 07:52 AM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Share
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    296
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the small and medium Yeoman cubes. They fit well into a number of bags.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Sweden
    Posts
    48
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

    I use my Tri-Star packing cubes. The big one fits just in the main compartment, and depending on if I have a laptop or not (or two), the medium and small fits as well. In the bottom compartment I have the old snake charmer and then misc stuff sacs and stuffs depending on what I'm doing that day. Admittedly I only have Tri-Star packing cubes, so it could be some others fit better.

    Have fun finding your perfect configuration Smilie

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Share
    Michigan
    Posts
    137
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the EC medium folder (just fits) and a WF large packing cube.

  8. #8
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,330
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @28mm,

    May I ask whether you plan to outfit your Synapse 25 entirely as though it were for carrying clothes and other luggage type items? Because this makes a difference to the kinds of packing cube accessories that you might find most useful, and what might be suggested. For example, if you plan on keeping a laptop in the bag, you might prefer packing cubes that don't fill the full thickness of the main compartment.

    I'm going to suggest that you take a look at the Synapse 25 thread in the forum on accessories and organizational strategies:

    https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...apse-25-a.html

    Darcy introduces this thread:
    How do you use the built-in organizational features of the Synapse 25? Do you use Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, Freudian Slips or other accessories to organize your Synapse 25? And if so, which ones? Post your organizational strategies, hacks, and advice for using the Synapse 25 here!
    There is an excellent series of links to posts with pictures of how the various accessory combinations look and work together, so you can make these choices for yourself based on what you see. Also, a lot of the individual decisions people make can depend on what other bags or bag combinations they like to use and how they transfer items between bags. For example, if you only carry a Synapse 25, you might be more inclined to use a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag that fills up the front bottom pocket, than a Side Effect or 3D Organizer Cubes, that could transfer over to the Synapse 19 front pocket, or fit into the halcyon pockets in the Main compartment of a Co-Pilot, or even in preference to using a a Snake Charmer there (Large will fit; Small has a cross-section closer to a 3D Organizer Cube), which can collapse down In depth, as necessary.

    As an example of different usage profiles, see @Badger's pack up in the Synapse 25 kitted out for summer travel thread (she uses the Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cubes there), and then compare it to the pictures shown in post #2 of the Synapse 25 thread I linked.

    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...er-travel.html
    (is the direct link to @Badger's thread, but it also appears in the list of sample links that Darcy lists at the top of the Synapse 25 thread I referenced)

    HTH

    moriond

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    18
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I use an eagle creek featherlight medium expandable cube. I actually have 2 I use one fully expanded for clothes and the other collapsed for socks and such. I also have a small pack it sack by eagle creek for toiletries. I tried the TB A30 laundry stuff sack but it just didn't work for me. I like the square shape instead of the round.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the reply. Ordered some goodies arriving tomorrow!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Welcome! The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag fits nicely in the Synapse 25. I can fit two in the large main compartment. I've also heard that it will fit in the bottom front section. elisa
    Awesome idea! Thank you for the post!

    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    I like the small and medium Yeoman cubes. They fit well into a number of bags.
    THank you, gonna check em out!

    Quote Originally Posted by Apresski View Post
    Hello!

    I use my Tri-Star packing cubes. The big one fits just in the main compartment, and depending on if I have a laptop or not (or two), the medium and small fits as well. In the bottom compartment I have the old snake charmer and then misc stuff sacs and stuffs depending on what I'm doing that day. Admittedly I only have Tri-Star packing cubes, so it could be some others fit better.

    Have fun finding your perfect configuration Smilie
    Thank you for the reply..ordered some of the items you mentioned!

    Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    I've used the EC medium folder (just fits) and a WF large packing cube.
    Thank you for the reply..looking at thr EC Medium too

    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @28mm,

    May I ask whether you plan to outfit your Synapse 25 entirely as though it were for carrying clothes and other luggage type items? Because this makes a difference to the kinds of packing cube accessories that you might find most useful, and what might be suggested. For example, if you plan on keeping a laptop in the bag, you might prefer packing cubes that don't fill the full thickness of the main compartment.

    I'm going to suggest that you take a look at the Synapse 25 thread in the forum on accessories and organizational strategies:

    https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...apse-25-a.html



    There is an excellent series of links to posts with pictures of how the various accessory combinations look and work together, so you can make these choices for yourself based on what you see. Also, a lot of the individual decisions people make can depend on what other bags or bag combinations they like to use and how they transfer items between bags. For example, if you only carry a Synapse 25, you might be more inclined to use a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag that fills up the front bottom pocket, than a Side Effect or 3D Organizer Cubes, that could transfer over to the Synapse 19 front pocket, or fit into the halcyon pockets in the Main compartment of a Co-Pilot, or even in preference to using a a Snake Charmer there (Large will fit; Small has a cross-section closer to a 3D Organizer Cube), which can collapse down In depth, as necessary.

    As an example of different usage profiles, see @Badger's pack up in the Synapse 25 kitted out for summer travel thread (she uses the Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cubes there), and then compare it to the pictures shown in post #2 of the Synapse 25 thread I linked.

    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...er-travel.html
    (is the direct link to @Badger's thread, but it also appears in the list of sample links that Darcy lists at the top of the Synapse 25 thread I referenced)

    HTH

    moriond
    After more thought about how I am going to primarily use the S19 or s25 is that I don't plan on using either of them for more than my camera gear, iPad Pro, 12 or 13" MacBook, a couple of cameras and the usual (if there's such a thing) stuff like water bottle, cell phone, chargers etc.

    I am a photographer and most of what I do is street photography. So that means when I an not traveling and using the bag for every day, I want to keep it as light as possible. Even though all that stuff can easily fit in an S19, I do like having room in the bag, if I go shopping or need to carry things.

    The packing cube and other suggestions are great regardless as when I do travel, I might use cubes and some of the items suggested either in my backpack or in my luggage.

    Thank you everybody to such a generous response to my first post!

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last spring, I took an 8 day trip to Ireland with just my Synapse 25. Here are pictures of most of what I packed away inside.
    Suggestjons for packing cube for Synapse 25-img_20170316_081922-jpg
    The packing cubes contained all my clothes. I also brought with me a packing cube shoulder bag. It held my book, DSLR, and documents. When needed, I could put the PCSB into the S25, but I also used it as a small day bag when I didn't want to carry everything with me.
    This worked out really well and gave me a lot of needed flexibility & organizaion.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    45
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bphannah View Post
    Last spring, I took an 8 day trip to Ireland with just my Synapse 25. Here are pictures of most of what I packed away inside.
    Suggestjons for packing cube for Synapse 25-img_20170316_081922-jpg
    The packing cubes contained all my clothes. I also brought with me a packing cube shoulder bag. It held my book, DSLR, and documents. When needed, I could put the PCSB into the S25, but I also used it as a small day bag when I didn't want to carry everything with me.
    This worked out really well and gave me a lot of needed flexibility & organizaion.
    What size EC packing cubes are these?

    Thanks,

    kirbysgirl

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    47
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it's this combo, the Eagle Creek Compression Cubes: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-S...70_&dpSrc=srch

    I have this set in white, and in my S25 I turn the larger one sideways and rest the smaller one on top. In the S19, I have to stand the larger one up vertically and kind of wedge the smaller one in at an angle on the side. It's a bit awkward but it works!

    In the larger one, I can typically fit 4-6 larger shirts and PJs. The smaller one I usually use for socks, underwear, PJs if they don't fit in the larger one. Pants I just roll and put in the bottom of the bag.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! It's one set of the compression bags plus an additional XS size of the regular specter cubes.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •