Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sizing UP

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sizing UP

Keep in mind, this is coming from the person who packed for a 3 day trip in a Pilot and still had room to spare. I'm sizing up on my other TB bags.

I read and read these forums and everyone was sizing down from the A45 to the A30, and from the TS to the WF. So, since I'm a minimalist packer, I bought an A30 and a WF. Now these are lovely bags, but they don't have the 2D acreage I need for the way I pack. I end up having to add weird folds I don't want in my clothing, whether I'm folding or rolling my clothing. I found the side pockets and lid pocket to be too small to fit anything in, including my hand. It bothers me to have useless pockets.

Then I bought a D36 (medium Road Duffle) and it's perfect. The central packing area and the side pockets are generous enough that I can pack my stuff without making weird adjustments or folds in my clothing. I wish it had a handle on the side, like the Aeronauts.

I just had the opportunity to swap my A30 for an A45, and while the bag feels huge, the 2D acreage fits my packing style better than the A30 did. And the side and lid pockets actually fit stuff. And oddly enough, the bigger bag feels better on my back than the A30 did. I actually like the A45 in backpack mode, while I did not find the A30 comfortable in backpack mode. I'm totally surprised. Even my husband, who does not share my love for bags, put dibs on the A45. That really surprised me.

Now I'm considering swapping my WF for TS. It's not that I want all the extra pockets that the TS has, but I want that extra inch. That inch would make a huge difference in how my folded clothing will fit. I don't think the TS will barrel out on me because I pack flat and I don't overpack. And I suspect the front pockets might be more usable for me being just that one inch larger.

Anyone else go against the flow and end up sizing up?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never size down myself.

I did move from an S19 to an S25 but then the S19 was the only "S" from the time that I got mine too!

I would always rather have the space and not need it than the other way around.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sized down from the Aeronaut 45 to 30, and now I want to go back to the 45. Same reasons as you. I'm a light packer because I don't like to carry heavy things, but I'm leaning toward wanting the space of the 45 vs the compactness of the 30. I'd rather have an underpacked bag. Plus I really loved my Aeronaut 45. A friend has it now, so at least it has a good home. She LOVES it.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with the 2D cross-section point here being made here.

I have a S25, a Tristar and A45. All of which are slightly better packed light utilising their larger cross-section compared to their equivalent fully packed 'smaller' siblings.

I admit that sometimes the smaller profile works, but I prefer bigger and thinner to smaller and fatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I keep looking at the TS, the more I'm wondering if I'll use the front pockets at all. I wonder if I should just go for a second A45. Less "bag" but more "volume." I'm starting to really appreciate the design of the A45. Hum, which color?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-12-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you 100% on the A45 vs A30. The A30 just wasn't deep enough for me. I even preferred the Night Flight Travel Duffle to the A30 for the same reason.

I traded my A30 for a Tri-Star. My first time packing the TS for a trip turned out well. I was able to get everything flat and evened out so it did not bulge.

I will say, though, an under packed A45 is a wonderful thing. I really like the end pockets. I had never really thought about it before, but I've always been a duffle bag person in my packing style. I just hate that everything always ends up scrunched at my side. The A45 end pockets take that out of play. And under packed, I can shove my ballistic A45 under airplane seats - not all, but most.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A30 was the first Tom Bihn bag I bought, and there was a specific reason for buying it - to use as carry-on luggage. Having used it for several domestic and international trips from 2 to 15 days in length, I have no desire to get a larger bag. The main reason is weight. The airlines I am most likely to use have 7kg carry-on limits and a fully-packed A30 is around 7kg. An A45 risks being too overweight. Also, on domestic flights on smaller turboprop aircraft, the A30 fits snugly on the overhead shelf, whereas any bigger bag would have to go in the hold.

I've also found no problems fitting my stuff into the A30. The side pockets hold shoes, toiletries and chargers really well. I'm a fan of Marie Kondo's method of folding clothes and just put things straight from my drawers at home into packing cubes, which seems to work really well. The lid pocket is useful for holding brochures, papers and a spare plastic bag for toiletries, basically all sorts of flat stuff.

While everyone's travel style and circumstances are different, if I was asked by someone in Australia or New Zealand about travelling with carry-on only, I would strongly recommend the A30 over the A45 due to airline requirements in this part of the world.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right there with you. I have an A30 and am about to size up to an A45. While I can fit my stuff in the A30 currently, the bag ends up fully packed and I would prefer to have a little "wiggle room" instead. Also the A30 doesn't fit some of my packing cubes and packing envelopes very well.

I have been going back and forth between wanting the road duffle and the A45, but ultimately I've decided on the A45 because I really like the backpack straps and the end handles. I think it will be the perfect bag for me.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've flown with the D36 (medium road duffle) and with the absolute shoulder strap, it's fine to carry. I suppose the shoulder strap it comes with is also fine, but I have the AS, so I've never actually tried the D36 shoulder strap.

It's also flat enough to fit under a seat on most airplanes, although I usually put it in the overhead, where it looks rather puny. It fits my Eagle Creek packing cubes exceptionally well.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sold my WF, and I ordered a TS. I'm curious to give a test pack.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same situation as Denises, traveling out of Australia the 7kg limit is the deciding factor. I'm currently one bagging it to Dublin for a conference (two if you count the DLBC I have inside the A30 for my laptop and when at the conference). I considered sizing down weight wise to the yeoman small but I'm not sure I can give up the backpack straps. That extra 500g would be nice though.

I always liked the TS and nearly bought it many times, a lot of abandoned carts, it was always the weight that stopped me. The western flyer was close too as it almost works for EDC at destination so no need to DLBC, but though it would look to big for that.

The A30 definitely converted me to one bag travel going forward, just wish it was a little lighter.

Sent from my LG-K430 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly sympathize with the 7kg limit. When I get around to traveling down under, I may have to revisit the smaller bags, or just give up and check a wheeled bag, and carry a small one.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been debating an A45 vs A30 while I wait for the A30 to come back in stock. I was dead set on the A30, but I feel I'll get better versatility out of an under packed A45. My only fears are it gets rejected as carry on purely on size on smaller airlines despite fitting in their sizers (granted, this is a rare scenario for me). That and the weight should I ever fully pack it, lol. Oh, and fit. I want to try both to see how they carry.
    Last edited by linh.n; 09-21-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, I just got a Tri-Star today. I kind of like it, and I kind of don't. It's one of those things where I wish there was a TS sized WF. There were just too many zippers on the TS, and I just feel there's too much material and zippers adding weight I don't need. Plus, I still don't think I could use the front pockets. There's too many of them layered on top of each other, which made the TS bulge when I tried to use those pockets.

I also felt the packing cubes were weird because they are very flat and zip around the middle, which I don't like. But the TS holds an Eagle Creek medium packing folder perfectly in all 3 compartments. The WF holds one too, but it's really tight on the corners. I think for this size and shape of bag (briefcase looking), I like the Briggs & Riley Transcend clamshell cabin bag better.

That said, I think the A45 and the D36 may be my favorite TB bags, with the Pilot and large shop bags rounding out my stash. I always thought the A45 looked just too big, and I'm sure I'll never stuff it full. But after ordering, returning, or using and selling, almost every travel bag on TB, I've come to the conclusion that the A45 might well be the best travel bag ever designed. I think what really sold me was if I unzipped one of the A45 walls, the Eagle Creek medium packing folder fits perfectly, whereas I could not begin to get it in the A30.

Now, do I need a second A45 for my husband?

Or do I wait for my fantasy TS sized WF with the Pilot front?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-26-2017 at 05:17 AM.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For how I pack, the A45 has never really quite been the right bag for me. For casual use it's always too big and the compartment are always only partially full and for business use it's always too big.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast