Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Akashi, Japan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Thinking of New Commuting Bag...

For many years, I've carried around my beloved Buzz bag, sadly gone from the lineup for ages. It has only a strap for the left shoulder with a very handy iPhone holder on it. With my upcoming MacBook Pro purchase, thinking of treating myself to a new Bihn bag.

Was initially drawn to the Ristretto, which would be good for commuting everyday in Japan. But I'm concerned whether, in addition to laptop, files, adapters/cables, etc., it could also accommodate a shirt and set of underwear for overnight trips. In other words, its capacity.

Then was thinking maybe the black version of the Synapse 25, without the waist/sternum straps, would be OK for carrying into fancy corporate HQs. Also, my lower-back pain gets worse every year, so shoulder straps seem good for that.

Anyway, any ideas on a good overall Bihn commuter, which can accommodate the occasional overnighter, would be appreciated.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're right to consider the Synapse 25. I like black Halcyon, but there's also a new, lighter ballistic fabric. I've traveled with the Synapse 25 as my one bag for two weeks, so an overnight shouldn't tax it.
    Also take a look at the Stowaway. It has three ways to carry it, so if you feel like you have to make an entrance with a briefcase, you'll be covered.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronread View Post
    For many years, I've carried around my beloved Buzz bag, sadly gone from the lineup for ages. It has only a strap for the left shoulder with a very handy iPhone holder on it. With my upcoming MacBook Pro purchase, thinking of treating myself to a new Bihn bag.

Was initially drawn to the Ristretto, which would be good for commuting everyday in Japan. But I'm concerned whether, in addition to laptop, files, adapters/cables, etc., it could also accommodate a shirt and set of underwear for overnight trips. In other words, its capacity.

Then was thinking maybe the black version of the Synapse 25, without the waist/sternum straps, would be OK for carrying into fancy corporate HQs. Also, my lower-back pain gets worse every year, so shoulder straps seem good for that.

Anyway, any ideas on a good overall Bihn commuter, which can accommodate the occasional overnighter, would be appreciated.

i think the S25 in black ballistic 25 looks professional and you will enjoy the extra room. It's very comfortable to carry.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll echo the previous comments; I've been using my Black S25 daily for over a year and have had no issues using it, even in a professional setting. It should easily hold everything you need.
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pack very light and I've done an overnight trip in a large cafe bag (including a 13" Macbook pro, plus other accessories), and it was VERY tight. The ristretto is a significantly smaller (9 liters vs 11) so you would really have to be committed to ultralight travel to even attempt it.

The S25 should be more than enough. I don't have a synapse, but I do week-long trips with my BB (33 liters) with plenty of room to spare. I've done overnight trips with it, only using one of the two main compartments.

Forum Member
    Akashi, Japan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your quick and insightful viewpoints. Seems my normal usage would be pushing the Ristretto. The Synapse25 should be plenty spacious, and don't think the black one would be too "non-business." Stowaway, which I'd never considered before, seemed interesting (though the backpack feature looks a bit ungainly)--will give that another look too. Again, appreciate the responses.